PDA

View Full Version : Block Party Beans

Bodydoc447
02-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Made some block party beans for my youngest boy scout banquet tonight. They were danged good! Kind of like a cross between baked beans and a sloppy joe. My cousin made some for me when I was visiting my dad last year and had been looking for an excuse to make them myself. It makes a LOT of beans.

Recipe from Cook's Country if anyone needs to take something to the office for a party:

Block Party Beans

2 ½ pounds 85% lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 (15 ounce) cans of beans, drained and rinsed (see note)
2 (28 ounce) cans tomato sauce
½ cup barbeque sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and peper
12 ounces fresh green beans trimmed and cut into ½ inch pieces
1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans

1. MAKE SAUCE: Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook beef in Dutch oven over medium high heat until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Drain beef in colander, then return to pot. Stir in onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in canned beans, barbeque sauce, sugar, tomato sauce, vinegar, pepper flakes ½ teaspoon salt , and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to boil.

2. BAKE: Transfer pot to oven and cook, covered, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in green beans and lima beans and continue to cook, covered, until green beans are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Serve. Beans can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.

Note: For a nice presentation worthy of its name, try using beans of varying shapes and colors such as kidney beans, navy beans, black beans and pinto beans. Serve with hot sauce.

Ain't nothing written in stone about this recipe. Enjoy!

Doc

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2011, 06:45 AM
my sister makes beans simular to that every holiday. I could easily make a meal out of just them!!