PDA

View Full Version : Modifications to S&W 59 ??

Multigunner
02-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Has anyone here made or heard of any useful aftermarket parts or modifications for the S&W Model 59.

I like the pistol, but it could use some improvement to both double and single action pull.

The backstrap makes it feel like I'm holding a table leg. I found a photo of a 59 fitted with an arched back strap that is supposed to mimic the 1911A1 mainspring housing.

I always felt most comfortable with the Browning P-35, with the 1911A1 being next best grip wise.

Do later model backstraps and grips interchange and fit the stripped 59 grip frame without modifications?

I'd like for any mods I might make to be reversable.

A longer barrel with compensator might be nice, more for balance than anything else. The 59 always seemed too short for me.

ReloaderFred
02-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Since the Model 59 is from the early 1970's, and have since been discontinued for quite a number of years, there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts for them. There are still improved rear sights and some grips, but that's about it.

I'm down to two Model 59's at the present time, but may end up with a third one again if the guy decides to let go of it.

If yours has Pachmayr grips on it, I'd take those off, since they are large and clunky. Slim wooden grips that mimic the original plastic grips would work. I don't believe the curved backstrap of the Model 39 will fit on the Model 59.

The Model 59 was the first high capacity double action American semi-automatic pistol, and it was designed to go after the American law enforcement market. The designer was Joseph Norman, who also designed the Model 39 and the Model 52 pistols. I worked across the bench from him for two days when S&W brought him back out of retirement to fix some feeding issues with the guns back in 1978 or '79 when I was rangemaster for our department.

Hope this helps.

Fred

MtGun44
02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
"feel like I'm holding a table leg" -- :-) Yep. I always thought it was a chair leg, but
hey, close enough.

Bill

Char-Gar
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
The 59 was the first US DA double stack mag 9mm that got the ball rolling that direction. As such it has some historical interest. Just leave it like it is. If it is too much of a bother, swap it for something that suits you better.

GabbyM
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
About the only thing I don't like on my 659 is the grip. Although the Berretta M9 is even worse.

I had an M39-2 that I'd purchased new. Traded it off in a week moment. Week minded moment. When I held my arm out the sights lined up. After a shot the sights lined back up. Those grips just fit my hand.

Char-Gar
03-03-2011, 12:10 PM
I took my 59 out to the range yesterday and clean a couple of racks of falling plates quite easy. It is reliable, reasonable accurate and fun to shoot pistol. I concur the grip isn't the best, but it can be managed and the pistol used to good effect. Mine is out of the box stock.

Multigunner
03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
If not for a hand injury the grip would be okay, one reason I like the 59 is that it doesn't have a grip safety, the injury makes holding in the 1911 grip safety a problem if the spring is too strong. My older Remington Rand had a well worn spring so had no problem with it, but that was in the 70's. Recently built 1911 pistols often have a stout spring.I also found the spring on my 1922 Browning grip safety was making it uncretain of whether I had it held down well enough to disengage.
As it is theres not enough flesh for a comfortable grip and the edges are a small problem.

I would not alter this pistol at all if not for the injury , and since its been this way for forty years its not going to get any better.

The 59 has always felt too bottom heavy, being used to pistols with more weight up front I know that a extended barrel will improve target aquistion.
The sights are fine, I like these better that those mickey mouse eared later models.

The 39 backstrap wouldn't fit but I've seen a pistol put together using a stripped Model 39 frame ( an aftermarket steel frame IIRC) and 59 slide and other parts.

The arched backstrap 59 I saw photos of awhile back was a limited edition, perhaps a prototype.
I never liked Pachmyer grips, or any rubber grip, on anything.

So far accuracy has been within reasonable limits, but I'm used to much better.

bobthenailer
03-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Im almost sure that WOLFF GUNSPRINGS would make springs for your pistol they also may make reduced power main & trigger springs to reduce trigger pull ! check them out

Multigunner
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Im almost sure that WOLFF GUNSPRINGS would make springs for your pistol they also may make reduced power main & trigger springs to reduce trigger pull ! check them out

Someone had suggested this long ago, and I considered it, but spring pressure doesn't seem to be a problem with this 59. I don't mind a trigger with substantial pull, its just the mushy feel which is likely linkage related and may not be something that could be fixed. I haven't fired the later similar S&W autoloaders so I don't know if they have a better single action pull or not.

I've been considering finding some springs for my FN, though the original springs seem okay they are pushing 90 years old. That says a lot for early 20th century manufacturing quality.
Lousy springs were a common problem for autoloaders up till the end of WW1, so they went to great effort to improve mass production techniques and have a more durable product from then onward.

I will look into what Wolf has to offer, they have a good rep for knowing what qualities a spring should have to best suit it for the job, glad you reminded me.

9.3X62AL
03-04-2011, 02:33 PM
The 39-series S&W autoloaders (single-column magazines) were a better fit in my hands than were the 59-series, but I shot the 59/459/5906 very well all the same. The "all day magazine" 9mm and 40 S&W rage continues unabated, though the classic S&W autopistols are out of print.

Single-column magazines don't hurt the sales of 1911A1 variants a whole lot. Could have something to do with their usual CALIBER, maybe. Of course, the 9mm is viable defense caliber, if loaded to full potential and given good controlled-expansion bullets. Hell, even truncated-cone FMJ is a step ahead of those (serial expletives deleted) FBI-blessed 147 grain sub-sonic "38 S&W Look&Actalike" crowd pleasers. Of course, the mediocrity of this vaunted ammunition may be the whole rationale behind the double-stack mag--lots more semi-effective rounds vs. fewer effective ones. This has the earmarks of governmental thinking and R&D all over it.

Rant mode disengaged.

rintinglen
03-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Put me down with the naysayers, but I hated my M-59. I had a 39-2 that I liked, but thought that "If nine is good, then 14 will be even better." WRONG! I quit carrying the 59 almost immediately and went back to a round gun until I could track down another 39-2. The trigger pull on the 59 was just plain awful. And the comparison to a table leg is an insult-- to the table leg.

Otony
03-05-2011, 02:43 AM
The fellow who came up with the sights that seem to be everywhere now, his first name escapes me but you will recognize the last, Novak. He worked closely with the factory in developing the later series of pistols based on the 39 and 59 designs. He has a lot of experience in making these feel better.

Of course it has been years since i read much about him, so perhaps he is no longer in the business of actually working on guns, but that would be my first stop were I inclined to have anything done to a Smiff crunchenticker.

Edited to ad: I went looking, it appears he still works on guns. The Smiths are listed, but not much written about them on the website.

http://novaksights.com/novak.html

HeavyMetal
03-05-2011, 11:19 AM
I bought a Taurus PT 99 years ago, wanted the adjustable sights.

Found the grip just to darn big to deal with comfortablely.

Stripped the gun down and found just a huge amount of aluminum all over the gun that could be taken off. I got out the belt sander and did just that!

The gun is much more comfortable to hold and shoot now and I thinned the grips a bunch as well.

Upside is the gun is much easier to handle, still need to add a small beaver tail to it, downside is until I can figure out a sheet metal cover to replace the grips it has a case of the uglies.

This doesn't bother me one bit because performance means more to me than looks!

Think I'd take a good hard look at that 59 and see if a little metal removal might make it feel better. This may also help the trigger pull a bit as repositioning the hand can be eye opening.

In the end it will still be a Model 59 but with patieinece you may be able to adjust it

GabbyM
03-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Yes well twenty years ago I fixed all issues with auto pistols of any type for sporting purposes. Have simply gone to wheel guns and left the auto behind. I kept my S&W 9mm to fill the roll it was designed for. Gave my other auto pistols to my daughters.

The only 9mm pistols I get excited about over my old S&W are some of the Sig Saur pistols. Possibly one of the CZ single action only models to get a good trigger pull. All the dual trigger action auto pistols when on cocked single action the triggers are to close to the frame.

For no more than these S&W pistols bring on the used market I’ll not be selling mine. I think they are a bargain on the used market.

Brownells carries recoil springs in various weights. I wouldn't get in any hurry to spend money to modify a 59. Just grease the trigger and slide down and shoot.
I carry these around lubed with dry film molly but when I get to the range I slop EP grease on the slide rails. Clean it off after. The aluminum rails can get wear and my stainless frame can get a bit of galling however I think it's broken in enough now to avoid that. I’ve a jar of RIG brand +P stainless steel grease but any EP grease should work. I know some may gasp at the thought of greasing up a pistol but that's how I do it at the range. Don't carry them around like that because grease collects dust and dirt.

Geraldo
03-05-2011, 12:37 PM
The 39-series S&W autoloaders (single-column magazines) were a better fit in my hands than were the 59-series, but I shot the 59/459/5906 very well all the same. The "all day magazine" 9mm and 40 S&W rage continues unabated, though the classic S&W autopistols are out of print.

Single-column magazines don't hurt the sales of 1911A1 variants a whole lot. Could have something to do with their usual CALIBER, maybe. Of course, the 9mm is viable defense caliber, if loaded to full potential and given good controlled-expansion bullets. Hell, even truncated-cone FMJ is a step ahead of those (serial expletives deleted) FBI-blessed 147 grain sub-sonic "38 S&W Look&Actalike" crowd pleasers. Of course, the mediocrity of this vaunted ammunition may be the whole rationale behind the double-stack mag--lots more semi-effective rounds vs. fewer effective ones. This has the earmarks of governmental thinking and R&D all over it.

Rant mode disengaged.

There's nothing wrong with single stack 9mms, Al. I shot IPSC Limited, A Class using a P7M8 and four spare magazines. I felt it was good for me mentally to shoot 40 round courses of fire with only 41 rounds available as I had to focus on shooting all A zone hits, no misses, and no extra shots.

As for 59 series, I must be the only guy who thought the grip was good to go from the factory, but then I like the M92 grip size as well.

9.3X62AL
03-05-2011, 04:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with single stack 9mms, Al.

Not one thing, Geraldo! The most accurate 9mm I've ever fired was a Springfield 1911A1 Loaded version, jacketed or cast. It was box-stock, too.

I'll TRY to stay on-topic here.....I was positioned uniquely by virtue of my part-time firearms training assignment to use and learn all of the differing systems my agency authorized, and I made it my business to become proficient with those makes and models of sidearm. I don't have strong preferences about make and model, my preference energy gets spent on caliber and load strength. I've made no secret here of my antipathy for the Fackler-blessed and FBI-pimped 9mm sub-sonic JHP round as a felon-stopper. It does good work on streetlights, though. :)

sagamore-one
03-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Just my 2 cents worth.. I fully agree with Rintin. If I were forced to take back my model 59 I would weld the barrel shut at both ends, affix a lanyard loop and use it for a fishing weight or boat anchor. The only thing right about the 59 is that it was discontinued. I hated it from the first shot. Trigger stroke reminded me of Sears Best heavy duty staplegun, and accuracy was just about as good.
Model 59's do have some collector value. I'd look around and trade it off before trying to "improve" or modify it.
Try out the C Z series . They are really well designed and really well built.

Doughty
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Multugunner,

I have an ambidextrious safety and an adjustable rear sight for one. They've got a little light surface rust on them, but are still functional, and would cleanup good I believe. If you're interested in them send me a PM.

terry
03-06-2011, 08:34 PM
s&w had and after market bacstrap for the 59 that emulated the 39 grip. i'v had one on my 59 for 25 years and love it. just haven't been able to locate another.

i've shot and carried the 59 since i acquired one through a deparmental purchase,(helps to be the boss), in the mid 70's. there are more than a few retired officers out there who would attest to it's effectiveness on the range, and their lightened pocket books as a result.

my 2 cents

Multigunner
03-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Trigger stroke reminded me of Sears Best heavy duty staplegun, and accuracy was just about as good.

Now that you mention it the 59's trigger does feel like the trigger of air powered staple guns I used for many years. Probably having used those staple guns makes the 59 trigger a bit easier to control for me.
I've also used a lot of air pistols with lousy mushy triggers so that can be looked on as training for the same feel with the 59.
I have a couple of DAO repeating CO2 pistols, shooting these , as well as experiance with revolvers,has made firing the first shot from the 59 in double action a bit easier to control.

Multugunner,

I have an ambidextrious safety and an adjustable rear sight for one. They've got a little light surface rust on them, but are still functional, and would cleanup good I believe. If you're interested in them send me a PM.

The windage adjustable rear sights it already has are fine for my purposes.
An Ambidextrious safety mounted high on the slide is not something I'd given much thought. Having an extra safety lever on the side of the pistol most exposed to unintentional impacts or being brushed against could result in that safety being disengaged by accident. Not as big a problem with the decocked and locked 59 as it would be for a cocked and locked single action of course.
Since the safety lever is pushed up instead of down to disengage its not that difficult to do so with the thumb of the left hand if necessary.