PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Corbin die set, value, what they are etc.

speedsix
02-26-2011, 09:58 PM
I have a set of Corbin bullet making dies that were my father's. I don't know much about them other than what the pics show. I am pretty sure they are for .357 but that is about it.

I don't know what they are called or the model of the dies or the value. I have zero plans on ever using them so I plan to sell them once I find out what they are and approximate value.

I took pics of all the angles and the box info. What it says on the box is all I can make out. That pic is actually better than looking at it in person so if you can't make out what it says on the box, I can't see any better in real life. It is faded and I can only make out .357 mag.

You can reply to this post or email me at kgriggs8@yahoo.com

Any help would be appreciated.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm156/kgriggs8/reloading%20stuff/corbin-2.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm156/kgriggs8/reloading%20stuff/corbin-1.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm156/kgriggs8/reloading%20stuff/corbin-3.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm156/kgriggs8/reloading%20stuff/corbin-4.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm156/kgriggs8/reloading%20stuff/corbin-5.jpg

blaser.306
02-26-2011, 10:18 PM
from what I can see in your picture they appear to be a set of .357 cup base , H/P swc dies made for use on a standard reloading press ! Is there anypunches that appear to fit into a ram ? Or likely 2 bullet profiles the one on the right may be a round nose wadcutter .

speedsix
02-26-2011, 11:07 PM
from what I can see in your picture they appear to be a set of .357 cup base , H/P swc dies made for use on a standard reloading press ! Is there anypunches that appear to fit into a ram ? Or likely 2 bullet profiles the one on the right may be a round nose wadcutter .

Forgive my ignorance but I am not sure what you mean by punches and ram. Like I said, these were my fathers and I have really no idea what they are. As far as I know, this is all that he has as far as this Corbin die stuff.

Judging by what you see, does it look complete? The one on the left in the bottom pic has sort of a spring loaded punch thing on it. If you press on the plunger thing it springs back. The one on the right doesn't seem to be spring loaded but it moves up and down like the other one. It is a bit stiff from what looks like old grease but does move. Probably needs to be cleaned and degreased I guess.

Any idea of value or a good place to sell them would be? Looking to move them along to someone who can use them as I am not going to. Don't need top dollar, just a fair price and I wil be happy. As I don't know what they are worth or what they are, a ball park figuire will work.

454PB
02-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Here's a link to the Corbin price list. In VERY general terms, the Corbin swage dies are around $200 each new.

http://www.corbins.com/prices.htm

MIBULLETS
02-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Speedsix,

What you have are Corbin R dies, for a reloading press. You have the core seating die, which is a cup base that you can see from the end. This seats the lead core into a jacket. The other die is a point forming die, to shape the tip of the bullet.

The punches that Blaser was asking about look like a button with a stem on them. The dies aren't much use without them. A person could order them from Corbin seperately.

Ballard
02-27-2011, 01:07 AM
If it is a 2 die set, one is the core seat, the other is a point form die. I don't believe Corbin makes a point form reloading press die anymore for .357. I doubt I would take $200 a piece for mine. They make GREAT bullets

speedsix
02-27-2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks a ton for all the info. They are not marked so it is hard for a novice like me to tell what they are.

Now to find someone to buy them!

speedsix
03-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Do you think $100 shipped for everything is a good price to sell for?

hardcase54
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Might be a little cheap.

scrapcan
03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
If you put them up here for that you will have guys breaking thier fingers trying to be first inline. I agree that 100 total is too cheap, but if that is what you want for them I will be first in line.

Just let some one know what you want for them.

martin
03-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Speedsix,

At the risk of angering others, if you really want to know what they are worth, put them out on Ebay under swaging and see wheat they go for. My guess is a lot more than what you may think.

Martin

ANeat
03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
A agree that EBAY will more than likely get the top price. Also remember that the base punches are missing. Nothing against Speed six but I would be cautious of any used dies till a seen a good bullet come out of them.

More than likely the dies will make a good bullet but you never know

martin
03-02-2011, 05:21 PM
ANeat,

Base punches - 50 cents worth the material, a metal leathe, and about an hour's worth the work and I could solve that problem and I bet so could you :)

I agree that you don't know what you have until you either inspect the dies or crank a few out but from the external pictures, they appear to be in pretty good condition.

Martin

Doby45
03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Whatcha need to do is actually send those dies to one of our swagers here on this board. The swager could benefit by swaging a few keepers and you would benefit by having a product that is tested and known to be working AND you can have a few of the swaged rounds sent back to you when the dies are sent back. That way you could fetch your absolute top dollar by not only knowing the dies work properly but also having an example of the boolit the dies make. I assure you there will be an upstanding swager here that would be willing to help you out. Win win as I see it.

ANeat
03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
ANeat,

Base punches - 50 cents worth the material, a metal leathe, and about an hour's worth the work and I could solve that problem and I bet so could you :)

I agree that you don't know what you have until you either inspect the dies or crank a few out but from the external pictures, they appear to be in pretty good condition.

Martin

Yep youre right, If the price was right I might even take a chance on them, but if they were complete and you could see the bullets that came out of them I think they would go for a "premium" price because they do look nice

ReloaderFred
03-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Speedsix,

I've answered your e-mail.

Fred

speedsix
03-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Speedsix,

I've answered your e-mail.

Fred

I went ahead and passed them along to Reloader Fred because he emailed me. They might be worth more than $100 but I have no use for them and I didn't need top dollar. I hope he gets good use out of them and remembers me fondly in his will.:bigsmyl2:

Thank you all for your help. I hope by selling them cheap that I helped out a fellow gun lover and he gets good use out of them. I would have sold them for this price to anyone who emailed me. Reloader Fred took the initiative and he deserved the reward.

Of course if he wants to send me some .357 or .38spl ammo that he makes with them, I would be more than happy to test it out in my S&Ws.[smilie=w:

scrapcan
03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Damn I should have emailed I offered to buy in post #10 above for $100. Didn't know they were actually being sold for that.

Reloader Fred will put them to use or make a nickle, either way it is good to keep them in the family here at castboolits.

ReloaderFred
03-03-2011, 11:59 PM
The dies will be put to good use. I believe some of my other Corbin punches will work with these dies, but I'll know more once they arrive.

They won't be sold on ebay, believe me! If I find that I can't make them work, they will be listed on this forum for what I paid for them, but don't hold your breath, since I really want to make them work...........

Thanks again, speedsix. I'll see what I can do about making you some bullets from them, but I wouldn't have a legal way to send you any loaded ammunition.

Fred

Doby45
03-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Sure you can. You can ship loaded ammo via UPS, just tell them it is ORMD and they will put a sticker on it. ;) I ship them that way to my dad in Virginia.

ReloaderFred
03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
You can't if you live in a small town, where the only way to ship UPS is through a contract station that won't even consider handling anything that is ORMD (Other Restricted Material). Only UPS shipping points that belong to the company will handle them. At least in my area.

Fred

Doby45
03-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Then you are correct, it must be your area. I ship out of a UPS store all the time. ORMD all the way. :D