PDA

View Full Version : Cast my first ummm Fishing Sinkers!! Boolits next!

1longshot
02-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I am casting these for trade for solder from a guy that works in a radiator shop. He brings me solder and I will now bring him sinkers. I hope that casting boolits is easier than this. This was my first time casting anything besides ingots. The sinkers did not fill out completely with soft lead unless I pressure poured them. I think that is the right term. Also I am using a RCBS ladle. After holding the mold in every conceivable position and getting only 1 or 2 out of five sinkers to fill out, and turning the lead up to 800 F, I tried sticking the pour spout into the top of the mold and the sinkers filled out completely.

The sinkers are 1/4 oz by the way. The 3/8oz on the other side of the mold I cant get to fill out. I think when I get a bottom pour furnace they will cast better. Any suggestions?

BTW they are removable split shot from "Do it Molds".

selmerfan
02-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Heat the mold up first on a hot plate or by dipping the corner of the mold into the molten lead.

Calamity Jake
02-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Them sinker molds have to be HOT!!! to cast good.
I have a Do-it 1/4 oz jig mold, it leaves the hot plate long enough to get pressure filled then back to the HP.

Beagler
02-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I have to get my do-it walking sinker mold blistering hot for it to fill out.

quilbilly
02-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Getting a "bottom pour" furnace will make all the difference for you. I have been pouring jigs and sinkers for my fishing gear business for 30+ years. I wouldn't pour for the trade any other way. Generally the first 4-5 sinkers are throw backs anyway until the mold gets hot.
You may also occasionally find that some lead you get will never pour quite right because there may be some impurity. If you always check for softness of the lead (the fingernail scratch check) to make sure it is soft, you should be able to avoid this frustration. It is the hardest lead alloys that have given me problems with jigs and sinkers but usually make fine frangible varmint boolits.

1longshot
02-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. As for the mold being hot when pouring my lead. I did have it on a porcelain hot plate before pouring. I would like to get an RCBS pro melt to do my casting but my funds are limited right now. Anyway I got enough sinkers poured to last my uncle a while and next time he needs some hopefully I will have a bottom pour.

Ohio Rusty
02-27-2011, 02:15 PM
I cast jig heads from WW's. I have discovered that pure lead jigs have a tendency to chip easier. Being jigs are always worked on teh bottom, their constant contact with rock dents the shape of the jig easily, causing the paint to chip or crumble in those spots. Harder lead, like WW's I find have a less of a tendency to chip the paint because they are harder and don't dent as easily. I have a couple cans of monotype that I'll also be using for jigs.

I like casting and making my own stuff .... whether it's jigs, sinkers or boolits or muzzloading roundballs from an old scissor ball mould,, I love pouring molten lead into moulds and turning out a really cool item I can use.
Ohio Rusty ><>

ghh3rd
02-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Lots of heat with a big 'ol sinker mold is necessary to get good fill, at least for me. By the way, if they are egg sinkers, with the 'wire' that you have to pull out to make the hole for the line to pass through, try rubbing a little Bull Plate lube on the 'wire' once in a while and it will slip out like a warm knife cutting butter. Sure speeds up the process.

When I was a kid I made many of egg sinkers with my Dads old mold, and used nails. What a workout twisting and pulling nails each time. If I only knew then what I know now :)

Randy