PDA

View Full Version : neck sizing 348Win brass

bigbear
02-26-2011, 09:12 PM
trying out my neck sizing die for 348Win for first time. Noticed the finished cases don't quite pass the case gauge test. It would seem to me they should be expected to pass , as not fully resized. What's up with this? How do you check your rounds?

elk hunter
02-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Bigbear;

Sorry, my poor brain can't quite figure out what your questions is. A little more information would be helpful.

bigbear
02-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I fully resize all my brass when reloading. I check loaded rounds with a Wilson case gauge. If round fits as it should, it is headspaced ok, good to go. If it does not fit flush with index level on gauge it is not o.k. to use.I am trying an RCBS neck sizer die for 348Win as it is supposed to save on wear on brass=more loads per case=less money spent. You have to use round in same rifle it was fired in. So I adjusted die as instructions said, loaded a few rounds of cast bullets and checked in case gauge and the rounds don't fit, they don't quite go into gauge as deeply as they should.If you are not familiar with Wilson case gauges, they are made for most calibres. They are a stainless cylinder into which you drop a loaded round. If all is goo the case head fits flush with the recessed opening of the gauge, if it is not flush them something is amiss. They fit chamber of rifle, just barely. It seems to me , in retrospect, a neck sized case shouldn't fit the gauge the way a fully sized case should, so is it trial and error on whether reloaded rounds are good to go?

02-26-2011, 11:51 PM
bbear,
I have a couple of the Wilson gauges and understand your question. I guess it depends on where the interference on the gauge is comng from. If it is hitting the datum ring on the chamber shoulder then you could call it "secondary headspace" control. If it is contacting the sides of the case body (348s have a lot of taper), then it is just added friction. If it is caused by the neck contacting the chamber neck walls then that is an issue to look at. If your loaded rounds drop freely into your rifle and kinda go "clunk" on the rim contact then you're probably good to go. You can take a magic marker and "smoke" the case and push it into the gauge to see where the contact is. I would imagine that the Wislon gauge is right at SAAMI specs for the round and your loaded round is a little on the large side.

Except for the possibility of minimal neck clearance for clean bullet release it really is not a safety issue.... more of a smooth cycling/chambering issue. As you shoot and reload those cases, at some point, you may have to run the cases into a FL sizer to set everything back- both the shoulder and the body taper. Even though the 86/71 action is a strong one, none of those levers have an over abundance of camming advantage to push a round into full battery if the case has gotten a little too large/long.

bigbear
02-27-2011, 12:11 AM
thanks, your answer cleared things up for me, if it's not too cold I'll go try them out tomorrow:drinks:

bigbear
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
All rounds worked great, even got decent groups, I am one happy camper.;-)

beagle
02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
I've been neck sizing the .348 rounds for my Browning for about 5 years and have encountered no problems.

Yours might be different though./beagle

02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
bbear,
Good deal! I assume you're shooting a 71? Gotta love them. All in all one of the finest leverguns ever made IMO.

bigbear
02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
I've been neck sizing the .348 rounds for my Browning for about 5 years and have encountered no problems.

Yours might be different though./beagle

Do you ever full length resize those cases? how often? how many loads do you get out of a cases using your neck size only routine?

bigbear
02-28-2011, 10:40 AM
bbear,
Good deal! I assume you're shooting a 71? Gotta love them. All in all one of the finest leverguns ever made IMO.

Since I've gotten bit by the 71 bug ,I've been working on gettting them to shoot. Finally either my loads have finally been worked out or I am shooting these stout rifles better, but yesterday in the blowing snow my two favorit Hornady 200gr bullet loads were giving me consistent1.5-2" groups at 100 yds (peep sights of course) and 250gr cast bullet was going into nice 2.5-3" groups. Now to load up a couple of 100 of each and get some practice in:Fire: and get ready for bear season!

Bob Busetti
02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Having shot the 200gr. RCBS gas check for at least 15 years using 55 grs. H4831 + Greyx filler. Never a problem. How ever I have not had much luck with the 250 gr Lyman bullet (gas check also). Neck sized only.
Bob

02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Since I've gotten bit by the 71 bug ,I've been working on gettting them to shoot. Finally either my loads have finally been worked out or I am shooting these stout rifles better, but yesterday in the blowing snow my two favorit Hornady 200gr bullet loads were giving me consistent1.5-2" groups at 100 yds (peep sights of course) and 250gr cast bullet was going into nice 2.5-3" groups. Now to load up a couple of 100 of each and get some practice in:Fire: and get ready for bear season!

Good to hear it's shooting well.
Speaking of bears and related items, I always keet an eye out for an original H. Johnson "Alaskan" 71. There are a few floating around out there but those who have them hold them near priceless. Kinda of a novelty out of Cooper Landing in the 50s. Currently being produced by at least one outfit, Turnbull I think, maybe others. Still, a full load with the 348 is usually plenty for casual shooting.

bigbear
03-01-2011, 01:15 AM
I saw a small book about him on ebay years ago, wasn't smart enough to get it, sold for about $25. I would really like to see a copy. Have you ever seen the book?

03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Have never seen the book. Will have to keep and eye out for it also.
I know and have talked to at least two different people who visited Johnson's shop in the 50s. I guess just after WW2 and pre-statehood quite a few folks were "discovering" Ak in general and the Kenai Pen. specifically. One common story was that green, wide-eyed pilgrims would stop by and ask about bear protection. Johnson would of course recognize the gullible and offer up for sale one of the S&W 38 Spl M10s or pre-M10s he had on hand. :mrgreen:

missionary5155
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Good morning
I am under the persuasion that neck sizing is all my lever rifles need. I segregate that batch of brass to that rifle and happily go along with custom fitted brass to that chamber.
The only issue that I can see cropping up is to check OAL brass length. If a piece of fired brass rechambers easily then I am a "happy camper" also.