PDA

View Full Version : GC in 38/55

rmcc
02-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi all,

I thought I would try my hand at casting for my 38/55. Do I need to put gas checks on these/ Plan on using 255 gr WW. I am new to this so if this is an obvious question...

Thanks,
Rich

doubs43
02-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Rich, the design of the boolit will determine if a GC is needed although some people do shoot GC boolits without them. If the mold you plan on using has "GC" somewhere in the name or designation, then it was designed to use a gas check. Or, look at the design and see if the back of the boolit is smaller in diameter than the driving band in front of it. Smaller = GC. Same diameter = plain base and doesn't use a GC.

peerlesscowboy
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
..........also Rich,
Which design you choose (gas check vs plain base) kind of depends on how fast you plan to drive the bullet.

rmcc
02-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Would plan to duplicate old BP load just for plinking.

doubs43
02-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Would plan to duplicate old BP load just for plinking.

In that case, the velocities wouldn't require a gas check. Black powder cartridges in general used a rather soft lead and they were launched at modest velocities for the most part.

excess650
02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
38-55s generally have pretty slow twists, so are pretty kind to softer boolits. If its an older rifle with deep rifling, it should work pretty well. If it has really shallow rifling, more than likely you'll need a GC for best accuracy.

rmcc
02-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks a ton guys!!

Am new to this game, having a ball, and finding out how little I knew about this subject. Have shot all my life, reloaded since 82'. Missed the boat on casting and shooting a muzzleloader until last year. Have a lot of catching up to do.

Thanks again,
Rich

44 flattop
02-27-2011, 10:32 AM
You are about to form a new addiction..........[smilie=1: :grin:

missionary5155
02-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Greetings
You will need to verify the throat diameter of your rifle and be sure your cast boolits are that diameter at least. +.001 + over diameter shoots best in all my 38īs.

Kraschenbirn
02-27-2011, 11:49 AM
First mould I acquired for my .38-55 Highwall was an old Ideal 375449 single-cavity (265 gr FP w/gas check). As my smokeless loads, for the most part, duplicate original BP ballistics, it didn't take long for me to figure out that I didn't need the GC and begin loading these "naked"...and discover that they shoot every bit as well bare-bottomed.

Bill

02-27-2011, 02:10 PM
rmcc,
To get some useful suggestions it's necessary to identify your firearm. 38-55 means little other than the cartridge. If it is an old, original Win M1894 then that could change how you approach bullet design, gas check or no, type of cases to use, what diameter bullet to size to, etc..... Second thing is to slug your bore so you know the groove diameter. Lacking the model/age of gun and it's bore dimensions will lead to a bunch of pure guess suggestions. I've found that old original 38-55 guns dating from the late black powder era can have drastically different chamber and bore dimensions from those of modern manufacture- proverbial apples to oranges.

rmcc
02-27-2011, 03:35 PM
It is a model 94 Frontiersman. Not the older rifle.

doubs43
02-27-2011, 05:13 PM
It is a model 94 Frontiersman. Not the older rifle.

I have an Oliver F. Winchester Commemorative, pretty much the same rifle as your
Legendary Frontiersman except for the finish, etc. I've put a Lyman 66A peep sight on mine and a Pedersoli globe front sight with a post & ball insert.

Yesterday, using Lyman plain base cast boolits that weighed between 246 & 247 grains, I was shooting 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups of 5 shots at 150 yards. I sized them to .378".

Another poster has reported boolits key-holing on him at 50 yards when sized to .377" in an identical rifle to mine so you'd be well advised to slug your bore to find out what your groove diameter is.

Find what it likes and your rifle should be an excellent shooter.

northmn
02-28-2011, 12:18 PM
I slugged the bore of my Marlin twice. Both times I came up with a .377 even though many claim they have larger bores at 379. I also have a lot of trouble chambering 379 loads as they are very tight. Recent factory laods use a 377 jacketed bullet. the others were likely correct that theirs were larger bores, but you need to slug a barrel to make sure. I ordered a 377 sizer and expect it to shoot good enough for my purposes. If not then I will ahve to buy some Starline cases and try them. A fire formed 30-30 Rem case also would chamber a 379 so I may try that route, but fireforming is somwhat of a pain as I have seen a few cases split. Need to anneal them first.

DP

McLintock
02-28-2011, 04:20 PM
If you ever plan to shoot it with Black powder, a gas checked bullet works really well. My BP loads in my '94 (pre64 action and custom 26" barrel) shoot better then any smokeless load I've tried in it. Use 42-43 grs of Swiss 1.5, the Lyman 375449 pored 20-1, no wad, Buckshots NASA lube, just pore the powder in and seat the bullet. Shooting with my CAS club on a monthly basis, targets at 220 yards, it does very well, I don't even use smokeless in it anymore.
McLintock

northmn
03-02-2011, 11:03 AM
The card wads they sell for BP loading are gas checks or serve the same function. I mention this becasue some places technically do not allow gas checked bullets for competition. Also card wads can be made using cardboard and a hardware store 3/8 punch and are less expensive. If a gas checked bullet works for other than technical competition use then no problem. BP will slug a bullet up when shot and can help work with the throat problems they talk about as a undersized bullet will get expanded to bore size. Also should use cases of proper length for that reason. although I doubt if the small differences would matter all taht much.

DP

DP