PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Paint Colors for Restoration.

totallycustom
02-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I picked up an older lyman 55 measure and spartan press. The spartan is in ok shape not great and the 55 has seen better days. I was thinking about giving them a new updated paintjob. The new lymans have a blackish hammer paint that looks like it has some silver in it, does anyone have a newer lyman press that can give me a better description of the paint color. Is it just black hammertone? Would this be a bad idea? Is there a paint color that would work better? Has anyone restored a press?

Thanks

Flash
02-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Go to your auto parts store and by hemi orange engine enamel

linotype
02-27-2011, 10:30 PM
"The new lymans have a blackish hammer paint that looks like it has some silver in it, does anyone have a newer lyman press that can give me a better description of the paint color. Is it just black hammertone? Would this be a bad idea? Is there a paint color that would work better?"

I am in the process of restoring three old 55's. Used a good grey primer base, wet sanded, and finished with Rustolem "Hammer Dark Grey" paint. Little darker than the original, but looks great.
Try some of the paint on a test sample and see what you think
John

Shakey Jakey
02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
If you are doing a restoration you would paint them as close to original as possible. Anything else would be a "paint job".

linotype
02-28-2011, 03:50 PM
If you are doing a restoration you would paint them as close to original as possible. Anything else would be a "paint job".

True. Good point.

totallycustom
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Guess it's more of a modernization/refurbish than a restoration, I don't really want the old color scheme. I am going to replace the red grip with a ball handle also.

Linotype- Thanks, I will try the dark grey hammerite if I can find some.

Daddyfixit
03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Awh, come on guys, show some spirit! Do what I've done fixin old hot rods!
How 'bout Candy Apple Red? or Blue Steel Metalic. shoot some Pearl Essence then 2 or 3 coats of clear Laquer...Ohhh Yaaa:bigsmyl2:

Doby45
03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Daddyfixit, can you put flames on the side of my Star?

Daddyfixit
03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Daddyfixit, can you put flames on the side of my Star?

It would look 'Bi**n!, but I'm not sure how it would effect the hard lube flow!:kidding:

94Doug
03-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Now you guys have me thinking.....maybe some of the Dupont color changing hues....

Doug

Ben
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Just finished giving a Lyman All American Turret press a " face lift "

This press is about 45 yrs. old.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/All%20American%20-%20Denis/040.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/All%20American%20-%20Denis/038.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/All%20American%20-%20Denis/036.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/All%20American%20-%20Denis/032.jpg

Sully
03-02-2011, 08:57 PM
If that thing were mine...Id pitch that bicycle grip and install a nice hardwood ball on it and then defy anyone to try and get it away from me. That thing is outright bitchin man...DANG good job...

Someone tell me why they cant make them like in the old days..????

3006guns
03-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Just a quick word on paints...........

During the process of restoring my Hendey lathe, I painted the legs and chip pan with oil primer and black semi gloss from Ace Hardware. Somehow I got interested in Krylon Fusion paint and finished the rest of the machine with it. The results are dramatic......

The chip pan is showing numerous dings, scrapes etc right down to the primer. The Krylon still looks like new, despite being bumped, covered with oil, etc.

Now, this Krylon Fusion is designed for plastic but if you read the can it requires NO primer and can be used on just about anything. It also dries almost immediately and is tougher that my ex wife's meat loaf. So basically you clean your part and shoot it. That's it.

Shakey Jakey
03-05-2011, 01:33 PM
That is exactly the stuff I like to do. I would much rather buy something that needs a little TLC on ebay and refurb it than spend the same money on the latest chinese junk. But then some guys wouldnt know cool if it dragged them out of bed and kicked their asses every day!

totallycustom
03-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I like that All American very very nice. I am going to get going on the painting as soon as its warm enough in my shop ( and I find the right paint).

gray wolf
03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I think a nice air brushed hunting scene
on the side of my press would kick some booty.

nitro-express
12-08-2014, 09:51 AM
I like the "Hemi Orange" option. I used it to paint my own T-L Jr and I like how it turned out.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/nitro-express/Lyman%20Tru-Line%20Jr/T-LjrSetUp_zpsd6159e76.jpg (http://s244.photobucket.com/user/nitro-express/media/Lyman%20Tru-Line%20Jr/T-LjrSetUp_zpsd6159e76.jpg.html)

When I tested the paint, it "melted" the old finish. It did not react, so I saved time by not removing the old finish. It seems to be durable and doesn't seem to stain.

44Vaquero
12-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Ben,

The All American re-hab looks fantastic! She should be ready for another 45 years. I have been shopping for an AA recently, I have just not found the right one yet?

seagiant
12-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Hi,
Ben that AA looks VERY nice! I like that you polished the slides! I had a AA at one time,it is a BEEFY press,I'm just not a turret guy I guess!

Nitro, I have to agree the HEMI paint is the way to go as you can see from your press, nice job!

Here's my favorite RCBS press my A2 and this was the closest green I could find to original, but I like it!

Mike Kerr
12-08-2014, 08:38 PM
TotallyCustom,

Has anyone restored a press?

Great thread. See how these guys can dazzle you with their "customization, refurbishment, restoration, renewal, etc." Glad you are going to join in because lookers like me get to see the results.

too many things
12-08-2014, 09:16 PM
the Rustolem that home depot has in the reg orange and the vermillan red and the hammer gray is as close as the original.
would post pic but would take too long . even a touch up you can't tell. the hammer gray you need to keep the temp down to about 60* for it to look good, and let dry at the 60* then take in the warm to cure