PDA

View Full Version : good K31 load

jagdkampf
02-26-2011, 04:38 PM
I've been playing around with the K31 shooting both cast and jacketed bullets. So far the best cast load is running about 2 inches at 125yds (5 shot) using 22 gr. H4895 and 1gr polyfil wad. But, I tried a new load today and was pleasantly supprised.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/dakardoctor/groups/P2260016.jpg
I have to load a few more and see if it will duplicate. But not bad for a 75 yr old mil spec rifle.

Randy

j20owner
02-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Nice. I've heard good things about RL17 in the 7.5x55. Have yet to try any myself.

HollowPoint
02-27-2011, 04:17 PM
That's good shooting jagdkampf:

This may be comparing apples to oranges but, I've been trying to work up a good (cast bullet) coyote load for my K31 for the past few months.

My max velocity is in the 2000fps range with 2400 powder. I always new these guns were accurate because I'd occasionally get stellar accuracy out of it even when I wasn't doing my part.

I use the "OCW" method of load work up. My last few times out to the range have been failed attempts to figure out why my K31 would only shoot well for a while, then go south from there.

I finally figured it out. It was right under my nose all the time and I just missed it before. I just had to look a little closer.

A slightly warped fore end was exerting pressure on the end of my barrel. The first 5 or 6 rounds from a basically cold barrel were dead-center hits. The next few rounds impacted predictably to the right 2" and low 3".

Subsequent shots then impacted 2" to the right and low about 5". From then on they'd hover in this impact area. Nice little clusters at each POI change.

I'd kick myself if I could for not seeing the cause of the problem before. I wasted alot of time and bullets.

I Free-Floated the barrel and pillar bedded it this weekend. I've also loaded up another batch of the same loads for another run next week. Confidence is high.

By the way. I forgot to mention; I was shooting bullets cast from my Lyman 311359. It's listed as dropping 115 grain bullets. It actually drops closer to 130 grains. The powder charges started at 17.5 grains all the way up to 19.1 grains. I've also gotten clover-leaf cluster groups with 16 grains of 2400 over the lyman 171 grain cast bullets.

Consistently tight groups were achieved at 18.5 grains. Each charge was point-3 grains different. Point-3 grains above and below the 18.5 group had the same point of impact.

I had Eric over at hollow point services drill a couple of pin-holes for me cause his machines are far more accurate than mine. I made the pins and stuff myself.

Hollow pointed, this mold drops 125 grain cast bullets. I'd like to try slightly lighter bullets but I suppose a 125 grainer will carry a little more energy down range.

HollowPoint

jagdkampf
02-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I encountered the same thing with my K31. I also free floated the barrel and glassed the front lug and action. I put an o-ring on the barrel where the front stock retaining band is and that made a big difference but the rest of the barrel is free floated. I am using a 165 sil rcbs cast bullet. I am still working on an accuracy load but the 4895 load is the most promising yet. I don't have any 2400 but the pistol powders I tryed were very erratic. Best of luck.
Randy

Pirate69
03-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Going back and forth between jacketed bullets and cast boolits, are you cleaning all the copper out of the barrel? Just curious.

Latigo
03-03-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/pierre/accurizing.html :smile:

jagdkampf
03-05-2011, 09:13 AM
It sounds like I did something similar to the spacers in the article posted. I used the o-ring on the barrel as a spacer under the front barrel band but the rest of the barrel is floated except the front of the action which is glass bedded.

I do clean the barrel regularly but when I am shooting mixed bullets (lead/copper) I shoot the lead first and then the copper. I use a product called KG12 to clean the copper and follow with hoppes #9 with a good stiff nylon brush. I never have had any problems with leading or jacket fouling beyond the norm. I do use gas checks on my lead loads.

Randy

vincewarde
03-24-2011, 03:13 AM
I am in the middle of my 24hr wait for the glass to set on a new Boyd's stock I picked up for my k31. Rather than mod the military stock, i decided to simply replace it. The Swiss did a great job on the k31, but they did not have access to today's laminate stocks or glass bedding.

With the military stock and GP11 the best I could get was about 2.5moa with vertical stringing. Removing contact at the muzzle end resulted in a round 2.5 moa group. So I decided to do something I knew how to do.

Lord willing, I am going to a long range clinic (out to 1,000 yards) in July and my plan is to use the k31. Last year k31's were well represented and did well, some with GP11.

I just may try that bullet with IMR 4895 since I have a ton of it. If that doesn't work I'll try Re17.

Thanks!

280Ackley
03-24-2011, 07:20 PM
I am in the middle of my 24hr wait for the glass to set on a new Boyd's stock I picked up for my k31. Rather than mod the military stock, i decided to simply replace it. The Swiss did a great job on the k31, but they did not have access to today's laminate stocks or glass bedding.

With the military stock and GP11 the best I could get was about 2.5moa with vertical stringing. Removing contact at the muzzle end resulted in a round 2.5 moa group. So I decided to do something I knew how to do.

Lord willing, I am going to a long range clinic (out to 1,000 yards) in July and my plan is to use the k31. Last year k31's were well represented and did well, some with GP11.

I just may try that bullet with IMR 4895 since I have a ton of it. If that doesn't work I'll try Re17.

Thanks!

Pictures please