PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out contaminants

kbstenberg
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't know how it got in my casting pot but some kind of contaminant got in my pot an the lead I had left in the pot.
The first sign i had was that i restarted the little i had left in the pot. There was the dreaded oatmeal substance on the top of the lead after it had melted completely. Fluxing would not let it be re-absorbed into the melt. I took about 2 large tablespoons full of the oatmeal substance off of the top of my Lee 4-20.
After i re-fluxed no more oatmeal came out of what lead was left in the pot. I than tried casting a few to see how the bullets came out. After about 9 or 10 cycles through a mold, the bullets still were coming out wrinkled an all the edges were rounded.
Now several days later. I re-melted the same lead. After melting there was minor dirt colored clumps on the top of the melt. I removed it before I fluxed. It was about half of a tablespoon.
I fluxed an only got the normal amount of debrie from the charring from the stick I was using to Stir the pot.
Again the bullets were coming out wrinkled an without filling out the corners. I turned the heat up to 800 an still was getting wrinkles an incomplete fillout.
Now I drained the pot and am probably going to dispose of the contaminated lead.
I am now asking; What do I have to do to clean out my pot to get any remaining contaminants out of the sides of my pot?
Kevin

Calamity Jake
02-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Wire brush in a hand drill and a dust mask then wash it out with hot soapy water.

kbstenberg
02-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Jake Thats all I need?? just a minor cleaning is all it takes to get the bad stuff out? With my luck. I was figuring caustic chemicals an lots of elbow grease.
Guess I will be back to casting this evening.
Thanks Jake
Kevin

Charlie Two Tracks
02-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Hang on to the lead. You might be able to figure out what happened. Is the mold and lead temperature the same as you always do?

winchester94
02-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Man, the dreaded zinc.... A drywall sanding screen works good for going around the sides. Nice and flexible.

geargnasher
02-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Hang on to the lead. You might be able to figure out what happened. Is the mold and lead temperature the same as you always do?

My question as well.

As far as cleaning, Calamity Jake nailed it. Sometimes I use coarse sandpaper on the sides if they are really cruddy, but the wire brush gets the corners and the bottom. Dust mask is a MUST, do it outside, and don't let the breeze blow the dust all over you, treat it like toxic waste, 'cuz it is, and the dust is very easy to ingest and absorb.

Follow with detergent and water, a brillo pad, or what ever you like, and plug it in to dry it out. Wipe the inside of the pot with any kind of oil and a rag to keep it from rusting. Rinse your cup brush with brake cleaner or such when finished.

Gear