PDA

View Full Version : Under new management

starbits
02-26-2011, 03:06 PM
The first time I stopped at this tire store George pulled out a recent scrap yard invoice and said I could have the ww for the same price $0.28/pound. I would take them home sort out the trash, zinc and Fe and weigh up the lead and a day or two later take him some cash. Usually got 60-80 pounds every 2-3 months. It was nice to be able to sort before paying.

Today I heard the dreaded words "He doesn't work here anymore." Krap! So whose the boss? Explained to the new boss the deal I had had with George and he said "sounds good to me." :mrgreen: Then he asked if I made bullets with them. I said yes. "45s?" Not yet, but I have a mold on the way (Miha H&G68). "Well maybe we can work out different deal with some 45s." :bigsmyl2: Change isn't always bad.

Starbits

Stick_man
02-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Nice, I had just the opposite experience with one of my "suppliers". With a change in management, they were all ready to give me a bucket when they asked what I was going to do with them. I told him "fishing sinkers and bullets". As soon as I said bullets, the look on his face changed and he said he couldn't even sell them to me now.

I guess I should have lied to him and told him I had a whole bunch of pinewood derby cars to weight down or something. I'll keep an eye on the place and keep trying. I know others there will still sell them to me, but I don't want to get them into trouble. Now, I can basically only hope this new manager doesn't stay here very long. That place was good for an average of about 50 lbs per week.

kbstenberg
02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Last time I went in to keep in contact with my suppliers I asked them if they would be interested in some product from my main job. They were all very interested. Now I will be getting my lead for less than 15 cents a LB. Everybody wins
Kevin

RobS
02-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Depends on where you live, glad it worked out for you starbits............anti-gun people can ruin a good thing in a hurry that for sure.

9.3X62AL
02-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Depends on where you live, glad it worked out for you starbits............anti-gun people can ruin a good thing in a hurry that for sure.

Yep, the Fun-Sucking Hoplophobes. They live in mortal fear that someone--somewhere--might be having FUN with a firearm, and BY GOD THEY'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT. Killjoy SOBs.

starbits
02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
As soon as I said bullets, the look on his face changed and he said he couldn't even sell them to me now.

I thought of that when he asked, but since he specifically asked about bullets I told him yes. I normally don't mention it when contacting someone new, but don't deny it if asked.

Starbits

Hardcast416taylor
02-26-2011, 05:15 PM
About 20 odd years back I struck up a conversation with a vehicle salesman when I was buying a new pickup. I asked if they had a pail for the pull off wheelweights back in the service dept. Off course they did he replied, did I want them - we can`t give `em away! To this day I only need drop by to chew the fat or look at the new trucks to pick up the weight pail for no charge. Yes, doughnuts and other goodies have found their way back to the repair dept. guys as well as my salesman friend.Robert

jsizemore
02-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I only do business with folks who think it's ok for me cast boolits and put money in their pocket. I ain't got to be scared that I might offend somebody. Screw those wussys.

Jim
02-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Starbits, that's the same deal I have w/ my auto mechanic. I take him a few .45 boolits from time to time and I get all the WWs from the shop.

caseyboy
02-27-2011, 01:54 PM
The local garage has 12 bays and does a good tire business. I stopped by awhile ago to ask about WW and was told they are so busy, they just toss them into the garbage. I have been making it a habit to stop by a couple times a week at the end of the day. I have gotten to know the clean up guy well. A gift card from Starbucks has really helped. He has a small pail with my name on it for WWs now. Since he is cleaning up, he tosses what he comes across into the bucket. The haul isn't large, about 5 to 6 pounds every time I go. It is on the way home so no big deal.:bigsmyl2:

reloader28
02-28-2011, 11:11 AM
We get ours from a tire shop for $20/5gal bucket.
The head honcho is a shooter that I only met once. We were talking boolits when I was up there last and next time I'll take him a list of my boolits and maybe some samples.
I figured $20 was pretty good so I'll give him a good supply of boolits since he ALWAYS has buckets of lead.:bigsmyl2: