PDA

View Full Version : Knifemaking

BeeMan
11-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Gents,

Anyone want to share knife making experiences? My son initially expressed interest after blacksmithing a railroad spike at Boy Scout summer camp. Then this weekend he talked to some custom makers while we were at a gun show. I've always wanted an excuse to pursue this myself so here we go. What have you made, where do you get your supplies, have you done stock removal or forging, any favorite books, etc.?

BeeMan

versifier
11-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Jantz Supply is a good place to start for tools and materials. Nowadays, I generally buy blanks and put fancy custom handles on them. I don't do any blacksmithing, but I polish when I have to, and I know how to temper and anneal. IMO, it's easiest to start with a kit knife first time, then move on up as you gain abilities and confidence. A 1" belt sander is a must have and an eraser to keep the belts clean and help them last longer and not burn on harder woods as they load up. Small pieces of very fancy wood can often be had very cheaply if you inquire around for woodworkers that specialize in things like fancy jewelry boxes, intricate turnings, and premium gunstocks.

I have some photos somewhere, I will try to locate them.

kywoodwrkr
11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
BeeMan,
Knife creators I know around here look for those big sawmill blades for their steel.
Harbor Freight stores have a nice anvil.
You have just read everything I know about the knife making trade.
Do have a friend whose daughter made knives a few years back.
She did a fantastic job.
She'd look for deer antlers and etc in the woods for handles.
She got older and well the knife building went to the way side her dad said.
Have a small supply of Rosewood slabs if you'd like to try some of it for some handles.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Bigjohn
11-20-2006, 06:46 PM
G'day from downunder;

I have two Australian knifemakers as friends and live within 20 kilometres of another. Myself, I have tried to make my own and currently have several underway. The lessons I received from my friends has been invaluable and they continue to help when I strike a problem.

Most of the makers I know use the stock removal method (grinding); the local fellow uses an air-hammer to forge Damascus Steel. All of my efforts 'til now have used the stock removal method.

There are at least two magazines published for the knife enthusiaists in the states and it would be worth your while tracking down a copy of each for the ad's sections only.
They will list sources for allsorts of items including sources for kits, materials and equipment. You may even find details of the lastest books available which will give you some assistance; I have several here and I do not know if they are still in publication.

Just a quick list of equipment needed:- Set of files; Grinder (stone and Belt); hacksaw; angle grinder; drill & bits; heat lamps and toaster oven. Some of the above may seem strange to the first timers but when explained, it becomes easier to understand.

If you care to PM me your address, I will forward you a copy of the Australian Knife magazine; gratus.

:drinks:

John.

Ivantherussian03
11-21-2006, 12:18 AM
I have made a few knifes from kits from jantz supply.An excellent way to start and learn the basics. I now replace handles on knives and home made ulu's. I even make ulus out of old handsaw blades. I use oak, hickory, and moose antler for handles. But you need to start with a kit. Your kid will love it; it will be a good thing.

C A Plater
11-21-2006, 04:17 AM
http://www.texasknife.com/ is another great source for knife making kits, materials and tools.

Poygan
11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I bought a book from A. G. Russell entitled "How to Make Knives" by Richard Barney and R. W. Loveless some time back. I see he still has them in his latest catalog for $13.95 plus shipping. Its softcover and 182 pages. Should also be on his site.

versifier
11-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I found the photos. Sorry if the detail isn't fine enough to show off the intense wood grain.

VTDW
11-21-2006, 10:35 AM
"...eraser to keep the belts clean... " and "...air hammer..."

Good stuff and thanks!!!:drinks:

Dave

imashooter2
11-21-2006, 12:23 PM
What i don't know on this subject fills volumes, but I have heard that old/worn industrial files make great blanks and you should be able to get them pretty cheaply at flea markets.

ron brooks
11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Dixie Gunworks has some nice, to me, knife making stuff, blades, handle materials, cutler's rivets, that sort of things.

Ron

Powderpacker
11-21-2006, 08:25 PM
BeeMan,
Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop" from Krause Publications is a great book to start with. Quite often see it at gun shows around here (mid-west) for about $10.

Ricochet
11-21-2006, 08:37 PM
I remember when I was a little boy my father spent most of a year working in the Philippines. He brought back a bunch of native-made knives, etc. He told me they made a lot of them out of spring leaves from WWII Jeeps and trucks.

Ivantherussian03
11-22-2006, 03:29 AM
Yeah, I have always heard leaf springs from dead vehicles make good knifes, but it seems like a lot grinding:roll:

BeeMan
11-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the comments and leads! This ought to keep me busy and may even result in something resembling a usable blade.:-D

BeeMan

carpetman
11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Versifier---I have always heard there are several ways to skin a cat. Is that photo showing 6 options?

versifier
11-22-2006, 12:40 PM
:mrgreen: c-man,
No, she's in the photo for two reasons. First, for scale, second because she laid down there as I was setting up the shot and it seemed like a good idea to include her. Echo, a purebred traditional Siamese Flame Point, is strictly an inside cat that ensures rodent free living. I do not believe that pet cats should have access to the outside, except on working farms, and then only if neutered. My ex and I used to raise them and sell the kittens for big $, Echo was part of the settlement as she has never been able to stand my ex. :drinks: I much prefer dogs as companions, but I cannot have a dog where I'm living right now, so a cat that agrees with me (and no mice) will have to do.
Seriously though, I have no use at all for feral decendants of former pets, canine, feline, or reptillian, and make a point of thinning their numbers whenever the opportunity presents itself. BTW, why skin 'em? The foxes don't care. :-D

carpetman
11-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Versifier---Men always get ripped off in a divorce. You,more so than anyone I ever heard of---you got the cat.

TCLouis
11-22-2006, 08:57 PM
The father that is used something like 1951 Studebaker leaf springs or one of the older cars as it was told to me. The owner of that knife knew the maker and had spent time with him "just talking".
I used one of the knives and it was UNBELEIVABLE".

versifier
11-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Versifier---Men always get ripped off in a divorce. You,more so than anyone I ever heard of---you got the cat.

Me? I got the kid and my life back. She got a falling down house, a pushy boyfriend, and everyone that knows her won't trust her anymore. I got ripped off when I married her, the court just straightened things out. The cat is better company, and when she sleeps with my guests I could care less.

But, on topic again, old files are great to start with - they teach you the basics of annealing. That is, if you don't get it right, it's instantly apparent and you can try again until you do get it. Spring steel makes excellent small utility blades: patch, bird, caping, and skinning knives. Old saw blades can be hard to work with, but they can be easily tempered to keep a good edge for a long time in hard use.

I have an excellent article in my archives with a lot of good photos. It goes through the making of a full tang blade blank from flat stock: profiling and grinding, then fitting the handle slabs. I would place it at intermediate level, skill wise. It's a Word doc of 18 pages. I will be happy to email it to anyone who PM's me a request with an edress I can send it to.

RayinNH
11-22-2006, 09:47 PM
When using files the teeth need to be ground away or they will lead to potential cracking during the hardening process. When this is done the steel quality is excellent.

Don Fogg used to be located in Nottingham NH about 7 miles from my shop. In the late 70's and 80's he used to forge blades from locomotive coil springs. He has certainly progressed a considerable distance. His site and links will keep you entertained for hours...Ray
http://www.dfoggknives.com/

MT Gianni
11-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Rudy Ruana lived in West Riverside, MT just outside Missoula and his work predated 51 Studi's. I met his widow and worked on his furnace. the wind has been known to blow there. He had made a pilot sheild that was out of heavy steel and his wife and son commented when I laughed that I had never seen one built so heavy. Their comment was "Rudy wasn't one to do things light." Gianni.

onceabull
11-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Just from those stories I've heard personally. it seems doubtful that if it was made of steel and could be found in Montana, then Rudy R. made a least one knife out of it..[smilie=1: Onceabull

45stomp
11-28-2006, 08:56 PM
BeeMan,
Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop" from Krause Publications is a great book to start with. Quite often see it at gun shows around here (mid-west) for about $10.

I second the vote for the "$50 Knife Shop" great book. Helped me a lot.........here's a pic of a couple chunks o steel that I ruined in the forge[smilie=1:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/45stomp/DSCN0966.jpg
Stomp:drinks:

Bigjohn
11-29-2006, 02:19 AM
Hey! Stomp; Just who are you trying to 'kid'; "A couple of pieces of steel you ruined in the forge."

They don't look too ruined to me BUT if you reckon they are then just let me know and I will PM you my address and you can send them to me. I'll try and fix them for you; be warned it might take a looong time to affect the repairs. [smilie=1:

I would have thought you would have atleast skinned out that buck with one or the other. They do look quite pretty.

Best wishes,

John.

45stomp
11-29-2006, 09:02 PM
John, Thanks for the kind words.........I used a different one to skin out that buck..........these two are residing in Japan so may have been tough to get back for the task;)
Stomp:drinks: