PDA

View Full Version : $250 for Arisaka Type 99?

wallenba
02-26-2011, 11:51 AM
There is one of these at a local dealer in my area, it looks to be in better than average condition and still has the Chrysanthemum untouched. Bore condition is unknown and crown appears OK. Is it too much? Anything I should look out for?

Bloodman14
02-26-2011, 01:13 PM
For an intact chrysanthemum, I'd get it. Give it a good hot water and soap scrubbing, and go from there.

sundog
02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
If you've been wanting one, then yes. A real big plus would be if it has the aircraft rear sight.

mooman76
02-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Those Jap rifles originally had allot of attachments to them. The more it still has, the more it's worth but the Mum is a big plus.

kywoodwrkr
02-26-2011, 04:59 PM
T99s run the gambit on $.
You would have to do real research to determine just exactly what that one is.
The markings on the left rail determine, year, serial number and factory . All of which can change $ value!
And there were many different combinations when it came to 'adornments' on the various models.(plant year variations)
There is a forum on Gunboards which deals with Japanese rifles.
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Firearms-Of-The-Rising-Sun
I'd suggest to go there for some good information.
One entry discusses and overpriced T99.
Look at pictures and you will see the year,serial# plant marks(kanji?).
There's a traders section right below above forum reference.
#1 thing is do not get hung up on non matching 'serial numbers' as there also a production number.
Anyhoo, the bolt group may have a number no way matching serial number, but will match a number on the bottom of the receiver. There fore a matching rifle.
So, what appears to be a mismatch, is instead a match.
Also not all parts were always stamped.
A few years back I bought a small group of rifles from a local dealer and in determining what I had, found out so very many variations in the T99 rifles.
Ones which looke super were lower $ while some which looked like a mismatch were the high dollar.
Again, year, manufacturer and completeness were order of the day.
Good luck and happy research.

wallenba
02-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I will mull it over this weekend, print out some info and go back armed with a bit of knowledge. I won't be able to slug it in the store, but I have some pin gages to take along, just have to work out the MM to inch.

wallenba
02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Well...I waited too long. It's gone. Just made up my mind to start a fund for a top notch
1903a3 instead.

madsenshooter
02-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Isn't that the way it always goes. In the vernacular of my younger days, bummer.