PDA

View Full Version : 8 X 58 R Danish Krag

Sailman
11-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Does any body have any experience loading for the 8 X 58 R Danish Krag?

Sailman

Oldeyes
11-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Sure wish I could help you with some cast loads but I've only used those j-thingies in my Danes so far.
My 1889/24 carbine has a mint 0.325 groove diameter and loves Sierra's 175 gr. flat base over 50.0 IMR 4350, 2.995" OAL.
My 1889/10 rifle is badly worn at 0.329 but still does well with pulled Hungarian 8x56R bullets (1938 vintage) over 52 grains of IMR4831 and crimped at the cannelure.
And then there is my Swedish rolling block project.....not yet reassembled, but it has a nice .327 groove diam. barrel with sharp rifling. Oddly enough I have measured one other Swede RB and came up with a .321, so there may be a lot of size variation out there.
I too would like to see a few good loads w/ cast boolits in the .326 size or better for my roller, altho I need a mold in that larger size. I would like to get something to cast an accurate boolit that would work well not only in the 8x56R roller but also my Lebel, Berthier, and Siamese Mauser. And maybe my Kropatchek too.....

Joe

Sailman
11-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Oldeyes

I like that name, being 75 years old I can appreciate what you are saying.

The Danish Krag I have looks real nice on the outside, but, in the chamber things are not so nice. I am getting ready to send two cartridges to Lee to have them make a Collet Die for the 8 x 58 R Danish Krag. When doing this, I had to load 2 rounds and fire them in the rifle so Lee can measure the fired cases.

The first shock I had was to see what the cases looked like after firing. Toward the neck the cases are bulged. The second shock I got was when I was trying to establish how far out of the case the bullet ( in this case a jacketed bullet )should should be set. When I finally was able to tuch the rifleing the bullet is practically out of the case. I set up a dummy round with a gas check bullet. When the gas check bullet was touching the rifleing, the bullet was so far out that the only part of the gas check bullet that was in the case was the gas check.

At this point, I am having second thoughts about shooting this rifle.

Sailman