PDA

View Full Version : FF and 00 buck?

wonderwolf
02-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Having a hard time finding data to back this up but anybody see anything wrong with using 85gr of goex FF, 12 pellets of "00" buckshot in a magtech brass hull 12ga? I think 12 pellets comes out to 1 1/2oz. I'm going off some printed data i have on hand for older all brass hulls. though they do not say if the charge is weighed or by volume...I would have though volume bing holy black but never assume?

wgr
02-26-2011, 01:03 AM
thats close to what i shoot in my muzzle loader . dont think it would be to much

NickSS
02-26-2011, 05:54 AM
I load my 12 ga ML Pedersolli shotgun with 90 gr of FFG a card wadm 1/2inch cushion wad, 14 ,311 cal round balls and an over shot wad for a close range buckshot load. Works good in my shotgun.

cajun shooter
02-26-2011, 02:32 PM
BP loads by weight and the subs load by volume. Ever heard of a 45- by volume rifle round. Go to all of your old books on BP and you will not find any reference to by volume. It all started with Pyrodex and now even people who should know better use that saying. The old ammo boxes would tell you how many grains of powder was in each cartridge. This is not meant to demean in any fashion but only as constructive criticism. As far as your load goes it is well into the range of acceptable. Good Luck with it.

hk33ka1
02-26-2011, 11:33 PM
My Lyman Black Powder manual has 100gr FFg for 1-1,1/8 oz loads and 90 gr for heavier. I have used 100gr with 1oz 7.5 and 9 pellet OO loads in cut down plastic hulls with carboard wads.

wonderwolf
02-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Hmmm, I figured out 1 7/8's of 7.5 shot would just about fill the case, might have to give that a try as well. Thanks for the help. Been meaning to play with these cases for awhile.

Is it any coincidence that the weighed charge and volume charge are fairly close to each other? in this instance 3gr when I use a volume measure then actually weigh it out. With smokeless I know it would be a big deal but BP is a lot more forgiving

missionary5155
02-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Greetings
An old Ideal book I have showed 85 grains 2F as the starting load for shot. I have loaded rounds of 85 Grains 2F down here in Peru. Shoots well but I prefer 95 grains as it impacts with a bit more athority. I have loaded 85 -135 grains 2F under Round Ball and the 135 loading will get your attention out of a Mossy 500 with a 28" modified barrel.

Mk42gunner
02-27-2011, 07:46 PM
The standard load for 2 3/4" 12 ga 00 buck has been 9 pellets for years. There are some newer loads with 12. I guess it depends on your wad column heighth.

All I can say is to work up your loads carefully.

Robert

wonderwolf
03-08-2011, 03:52 PM
The load worked really well, made a hell of a boom, didn't get a chance to chrono. may bump up the load if I feel its needed but no real reason in that coach gun.

cajun shooter
03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I was not trying to demean you in any way only trying to let you know that BP weighs out. I can take any charge of powder be it white or black and have a volume measure that pours the exact charge. That is what Lee does with it's dippers. The old buffalo hunters would weigh out the correct charge and then make a dipper that held that amount for field use. BP flask were sold at one time with very long brass spouts. The reason was that you cut it down until it poured the correct amount. Tell me or show me where the 45-70, 45-90,45-110, 50-70, 30-40 and so on all received the names they have. It matters not to me if you wish to say anything you want. If you want to appear as one who knows nothing about what he speaks then have at it. This was given as constructive criticism and in a friendly manner. It seems you want to make your own point so take care and good luck with your project.

wonderwolf
03-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I was not trying to demean you in any way only trying to let you know that BP weighs out. I can take any charge of powder be it white or black and have a volume measure that pours the exact charge. That is what Lee does with it's dippers. The old buffalo hunters would weigh out the correct charge and then make a dipper that held that amount for field use. BP flask were sold at one time with very long brass spouts. The reason was that you cut it down until it poured the correct amount. Tell me or show me where the 45-70, 45-90,45-110, 50-70, 30-40 and so on all received the names they have. It matters not to me if you wish to say anything you want. If you want to appear as one who knows nothing about what he speaks then have at it. This was given as constructive criticism and in a friendly manner. It seems you want to make your own point so take care and good luck with your project.

Did I miss something? I was just making a observation that in this instance it weighed out the same as it was by volume, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I've been shooting 45-70 and 50-140 for a few years now (I'm 24 but I can only age so fast) experimenting with both paper patched and GG bullets. I wasn't trying to prove anything it was merely a observation that I happened upon, In my OP I just mentioned that the shotgun loads I had did not specify and therefore I was confused. I merely asked because I could not find ANY data and I have in fact run into BP charges that are by weight and not by volume i.e. civil war artillery which I have a lot of experience in . I'm sorry if you think I was trying to be back handed, usually I do know what I am talking about but in this instance it warranted my question as it was something I was unsure of. I hope you do not treat every honest question in such a defensive manor in the future cajun shooter as I have enjoyed reading your posts in the past.