PDA

View Full Version : Lee Collet die question...

Char-Gar
11-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Seems like allot of folks like the Lee Collet doe for sizing. I have checked out the Lee web site and have a question.

Is there one die I can buy to neck size various 30 cal cases for cast bullet use? I am talking 30-30, 308, 30-40 and 30-06. I don't feel like buying four new dies.

trooperdan
11-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Charger, you can kinda "make do" a couple of ways. The critical parts are the mandrel, the collet and the collet spacer. You can buy just those parts instead of buying the entire die and if the boolet size is the same you can just use one mandrel. I think Lee gets about $9 for the collet and $4 for the spacer. I think I have some spares in those calibers I'd sell at the same price if you are interested.

Another way is to use a another die that is shorter than the cartridge you are loading and make up the difference with a fender washer over the shellholder. I've used a .308 die and a washer that was close to the .1" difference between the .308 and 7.62x54R.

Edited to add:
I think the .308 die would work for the .30-30 without any washers , etc. I know it works with a spacer over the shellholder for doing the 7.62x54Russian. There is a bit of the neck that is not sized but if used in the rifle that fired them, this is no problem.

versifier
11-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Chargar,
Don't buy four dies. Buy eight. You'll go nuts keeping the different parts in order, better to have one collet die in each chambering with the set so you don't have to reassemble and readjust it each time. Then while you're at it, get a Factory Crimp Die for each, too. You can get plastic boxes that hold four dies cheap from Lee, and they also help minimize confusion.