PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have a Strain Gauge pressure setup??

klcarroll
02-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Does anyone here have one of the new style strain-gauge type pressure measuring systems??

I’m looking for someone who is set up for .45 ACP, ……and who would be willing to graph ten rounds of my LRN reloads for me.

I load a lot of .45: …..Most of it gets shot in various semi-auto weapons of one style or another; but I would like to verify that my “Economy” loads (Bullseye or Promo) don’t have any funny spikes that would annoy my old Webleys. (….In the pressure range I’m working in, there just aren’t a lot of reliable pressure signs; …And I would rather have REAL data!)

I’d be happy to buy someone their next case of beer in exchange for the favor!:drinks:

Kent

Rocky Raab
02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I have a Pressure Trace system. The problem is that you cannot affix a strain gauge to a revolver or semi-auto. There simply isn't room, and the gauge and wires prevent the cylinder or slide from moving.

If you have a Contender barrel or other fixed barrel in 45 ACP, you could use that to pressure test. I don't.

runfiverun
02-26-2011, 10:11 PM
i know larry has an older model but i am not sure if he is set up to do 45 acp or not you could p.m. him, he might have even shot the loads you use.
a rifle or contender type setup is definately needed for home use.

Doc Highwall
02-26-2011, 11:58 PM
The strain gages are calibrated for round barrels only.

JIMinPHX
02-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Precision Reloading will pressure test a batch of shotgun shells for $40. I don't know if they also do handgun ammo or not.

klcarroll
02-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Precision Reloading will pressure test a batch of shotgun shells for $40. I don't know if they also do handgun ammo or not.

Hmmmmmmm............

Forty bucks is a pretty reasonable number for a commercial enterprise! (Heck! .....That's only two cases of good beer!)

I'll drop them an email.

Thanks!

Kent

Larry Gibson
02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I use an Oehler M43, not sure if that's "older" or not. I am not currently set up for 45 ACP either. A Contender barrel would be best for testing this cartridge. A strain guage can be used on some revolvers if there is sufficient clearence between cylinder and top strap of the frame. Only one chamber is used and the guage removal will mar the surface. I prefer Contender barrels and currently have .32 H&R, .357, and .44 Magnum barrels set upf for revolver cartridges. With Contender barrels and other actionbarrels that are suitable I also test currently can test .22H, .223, 22-250, .243, 6.5 Swede, 6.5-280, 7x57, 30-30, .308W, 30-06, 7.62x54R, .303, 7.65 Argentine, 8x57, .35 Rem, .375 H&H and 45-70. I have also done testing on others but the rifles were not mine so availability is not certain. I am continuing to expand my testing ability as need arises. I probably will get an Encore as a test action because of the cartridge availability. The barrels are costly as are the strain guages but such is the expensive of knowledge. I am open to additional test if someone wants to help with the attendant cost.

Larry Gibson