PDA

View Full Version : Better prices than surplus for brand-new cannister powders?

MakeMineA10mm
02-25-2011, 02:08 PM
I just stopped in one of my local gun stores (where I usually get my reloading supplies), and found some unbelievable prices on Alliant powders. All the Hodgdon-distributed powders were about the same or slightly more than the prices in flyers from Natchez and MidSouth, etc., but the Alliant powders were $96 for 8-lbers!

Have you guys been seeing this too, or should I get back over there and start buying it all up?? [smilie=s:

Suo Gan
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
For any in the Reloder series that would be good, but I have not seen an 8 pound keg of those in years, the shotgun powders are all still around $100 for 8 pounds (blue dot, red dot, herco, unique, etc.). Not really a phenomenal deal, but no shipping or hazmat either. I might buy a keg of 2400 at that price.

wiljen
02-25-2011, 04:42 PM
The Alliant flake powders here can be had around $100 fairly regularly. The Reloder series is usually closer to $130.

fryboy
02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
the promo was always the ummm most economical of the line and if one goes into a nameless big box store i note that their prices are almost double everywhere else , powder valley usually has excellent prices and paying a few bucks more per can local is never a bad do ( as opposed to eating the whole hazmat fee ) most the pistol/shotgun type powders run 14-16 @ # at least from alliant ( not sure the tula primers are worth the free hazmat special tho )

( suo gan powder valleys price on 2400 8# is 109-ish but few other alliants come in 8#'ers)

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-25-2011, 11:56 PM
I just paid $139 for 8# of Unique locally . . .

fryboy
02-26-2011, 11:50 PM
$101 at powder valley but you'd of had to pay the hazmat ( but no sales tax )

Got-R-Did
02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Make sure the "jugs" of Alliant propellants you are looking at for $96 are indeed 8 lbs and not the 5 lb containers. RL-15 is packaged in 5 lb weights at the local Sportsman's Warehouse, and like you I thought it a great deal until I picked it up and noticed the different gross weight vs some other types of propellant.
Got-R-Did.

MakeMineA10mm
02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
That was the first thing I thought of, but they're the 8-lbers. I didn't see any of the rifle powders from Alliant available in the big jugs, or I'd have priced those too. (RL-15 is one of my favorites.)

Also, I didn't even look at the Promo. Looked at Unique, Green Dot, and 2400.

No shipping and no haz-mat. Sales tax here is 8%, so for an 8-lber @ $96, the total would be less than $104 out-the-door. WAAY less than shipping plus Haz-Mat, even if I split the haz-mat over four jugs...

Freightman
03-14-2011, 08:02 PM
( not sure the tula primers are worth the free hazmat special tho )

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
YEMV but I was given 5000 Tula MSPP for Christmas and I have shot about 1000 of them with no misfires and accuracy is excellent. I shoot them in my 357 BH.

Shiloh
03-15-2011, 11:54 PM
The glory days of surplus powder at great prices are coming to a close. For the small difference in price of what surplus is available, I went with commercial canister.

I shot up a LOT of surplus powder, and my once adequate supply is dwindling.
What a shame. Surplus powders were a bargain, and Jeff Bartlett got a lot of money from bulk orders divvied up between a group of fellow shooters.

Shiloh

Shiloh

Bullshop
03-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Remember when Accurate Arms was nothing more than a surplus distributer?
I remember their adds in the Shotgun News for 8lb kegs of 3100 for $35.00 a keg shipped. UPS brought it right to my house.

skeet1
03-16-2011, 12:12 AM
About two months ago I purchased an 8 lb. container of Unique from Powder Valley for $98.50.

Skeet1

mroliver77
03-20-2011, 12:23 AM
I try to shoot what is cheapest. I try to stay signed up for email alerts and sales etc.A couple years back one of the big online suppliers had an over run of 2520 and had it for $50. per 8. I bought all I could afford. It may not be my favorite but it is good powder and shoots well. Did I mention that comes to $6.25 lb? I still have some kegs of 2200 on the shelf. WC820 for all my Magnum handgun loads and I picked it up at Knob Creek and Camp Perry right from Pat himself. For plinking I mostly use Titewad as it was named after me. It was $69. lb for an 8 off the shelf at Bass Pro. I do occasionally by 4895 or 3031, 2400 and I love H414 at retail for specialty loads but the bulk of my shooting is done with budget components. Just like my groceries and other necessities I shop fort my powder and save a bundle. Some of my most accurate loads have been with Titwad powder and Wolf primers. Jay