PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler mess

singleshotbuff
11-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Gentlemen,

Tonight I pulled 40 rds of 7.62X54R brass out of my tumbler that I forgot in it for a couple of days. I was tumbling the sizing lube from the cases.

I normally just pick the cases out of the vibrating media and dump the media out of them, then proceed to loading them. However these cases were packed with a VERY fine green/black powder that would not dump out. It also held some of the media inside the cases. Some cases had very little powder/media in them, others were packed 1/2 to 3/4 full.

I wound up taking all the cases to the sink and cleaning them out with running water and a nylon bore brush on a cleaning rod. To say it was tedious would be an understatement.

What do you think caused this? I've never experienced it before. I'm using a Hornady vibratory tumbler and Lyman green media that I get in a jug from Gander Mountain. This batch of media was well used, but no more than other batches I have used. I use my media to clean cases before sizing and then after sizing to remove the case lube (I'm too lazy to wipe the cases).

I'm clueless here. The only thing I can think is that I tumbled a bunch (200-300) old military 223 brass prior to this in order to clean them up for sizing (they were pretty tarnished). Did this "break" the media down? Did it contaminate the media somehow? ANY ideas? I'm stumped, and a little scared by this. If I had loaded these cases (probably couldn't get a full charge of powder in most of them) the results might have been spectacular.

Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

Obviously I am buying new media tomorrow.

SSB

Gun Junkie
11-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Singleshotbuff,

Just start the tumbler back up and let it vibrate the junk out and then dump the cases immediately after turning off the tumbler.

Humidity might be a factor here as well. Again get the cases out of the media as soon as you turn it off.

I think you may be getting a bunch of sizing lube in your media, causing it to want to clump up. I think it's a good idea to use different media for cleaning up cases versus de-lubing them.

Good Luck,
Gun Junkie

1Shirt
11-20-2006, 09:24 AM
The only time I have had a similar problem was when I added a bit to much Brasso or Silverware polish to my old media and then had to much liquid which jammed in the case. Just changed the media, threw out the old and started with new clean shell media and no problem. Think SSB is probably right on humidity in your case. Good luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

August
11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
corrosive powder

singleshotbuff
11-20-2006, 08:10 PM
August,

Corrosive powder? As far as I know, it is primers that are corrosive in corrosive ammo. Besides, all the brass I have tumbled is commercial except for LC223, which is also primed with noncorrosive primers. I think it's a mixture of old media that has broken (ground) down, sizing lube and humidity.

SSB

Vegas Vince
11-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I had a tumbler for several years. I ran into the problem with the media. Run the tumbler and let it vibrate the junk out and then dump the cases immediately after turning off the tumbler. This helps but does not eliminate the problem. It leaves media in the primer pocket and flash hole. I used an air compressor to blow the media out. This means you have to handle ever case. Then a friend show me how he used liquid cleaner. There are several home made solutions, but I use Birchwood Casey Case Cleaner. An $8.00 bottle will do 4000 to 5000 cases. (16 oz. makes two gallons) Let them dry completely over night, and your ready to go. Now I live in Las Vegas and everything dries in two or three seconds in the summer and five to ten minutes in the winter. So it will depend on your location. I sold the tumbler a couple of years ago.