PDA

View Full Version : Which holster for hunting?

randyrat
02-25-2011, 12:51 AM
I almost have my 44 mag Super Red Hawk paid for, well I have the gun paid for I'm still paying for the scope that's attached to it.
I'm in need of a holster for 2011 White tail hunting. I hunt in extreme weather, rough terrain.
What is a good holster for my situation? Shoulder or hip... I run into snow and ice sometimes even freezing rain. I'm thinking a shoulder holster would be best, I'm not sure. I walk a ways some days that's one of the main reasons I've been hunting with a pistol. Would a hip holster get in my way. I have been hunting with a GP100 a smaller version of the Super red hawk and I used a hip holster. I'm thinking a larger brother plus a scope now.

41magfan
02-25-2011, 02:34 AM
With out a dout a shoulder holster is the best way to carry a large scoped handgun. I use an uncle mikes when carrying my scoped 22.(s&w 617 with a 6in barrel). Your hips will thank you also at the end of a long day. The nice thing about the uncle mikes is I can use it for my contender and blackhawk also.

Hippie44
02-25-2011, 08:38 AM
With my SRH 9.5" I have a sling mounted to it. I use the sling to get up and down the tree stand. Use the sling to hang it up in the tree stand and rest of the time it's in my hand with the sling off. If you are like me you're going like that SRH, I to have a GP100.

GARCIA
02-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Currently using an Uncle Mikes cross draw system that seems to do the job. Would really like to get one of the Bianchi "Hush" systems. Seems to cover and protect well.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=4101

Tom

bobthenailer
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
ive been useing 2 uncle mikes bandelaro holster for years for my scoped FA

doghawg
02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm real happy with my Von Ringler Wyoming combination holster. I only use mine as a shoulder holster and the quality is outstanding. He made mine to fit the ultra dotted BFR as well as scoped or dotted FA Model 83's and is a fine man to deal with. I had a no-name nylon gun show special but it seemed a shame to carry such nice guns in a rag like that.

http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/