PDA

View Full Version : A few garand/CMP questions

b money
02-25-2011, 12:17 AM
I'd like to get a M1 Garand and I think the best place to get one is from the CMP so here are a few questions I have: first what grade and make should I look at getting(I plan on shooting this gun just like it was ment to be) I would obviously like the most accurate one I could get, and I don't really care if the parts are mixed or not, just as long as it can shoot a decent group. The max I want to spend is about $800 I'd be happier with 5-600 though. Second my father has been looking for a 30-06 to go deer hunting with and I was going to suggest a garand,a cheaper one though as I don't want to see a "mint" piece of history droped or something. Plus he would want a scope on what ever gun he may get, and although I'm not sure I(or him for that matter) want to drill into a M1 garand, I think it would be one hell of a hunting rifle. Whats your thoughts on something like that? If yes what grade would you recomend for it? Third what all do I have to do do buy a gun from the CMP? I am a US citizen, no crimes etc etc but as far as club/competition stuff? I belong to a club that is on their list but that's all I know. Lastly would you recomend a drive from Illinois to the north store to pick out the rifle(s) or just send in?

Sorry for all the questions, just really getting exited about possibly owning a ligament piece of US history that you can shoot. Thanks for reading

Lead Fred
02-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Garand to heavy to lug around the woods. Go to Walmart and get a Remy 7400. Best $300 you can spend.

Got to the CMP website, and fill out the app :drinks:

You want to get a service grade, INSPECTED rifle. For under $800 you might only find worns ones. I got mine for $400 a few years back and had to rebuild the entire thing. Its 100% rebuilt now, but man was it costly. I bet I have $1500 into it.

You can NOT scope a Garand and expect it to work worth a damn, without getting the "D" mount, and it has to be machined on. I spend over $300 on several mounts, and none shoot well over 200 yards. I now have National Match sights, and its a breeze to shoot.

Every time I take mine to the range, I have a bunch of new friends.

I hope you reload. The Garand is picky on ammo. You bend the op rod, and it will cost you.
I shoot only reloading to M2 ball spec ammo. In fact I could go up two more grains, but Im not chancing my MN op rod.

NickSS
02-25-2011, 06:47 AM
The best chance you will have of getting an M1 that will shoot but is not something special is a service grade one. The CMP inspects it an if it meets the criteria for a rifle that the army would issue to troops going overseas for fighting it is a service grade which means all the parts are within tolerance, the stock is in good condition and it is tight. I have three service grade rifles from the CMP and they were worth the extra money over the lower grade ones. I would get a Springfield made one as they are the most numerous and do not sell for a premium. As for a scope the after market mounts are flimsy and tend to not be very stable. The GI mounts cost bucks and also require a gunsmith to machine and install them. In any case the scope is mounted to the left of the receiver so that the rifle can be loaded. As far as taking it deer hunting you can do that as I have but they get awfully heavy during the course of a day lugging it around. Even young GIs who were in great shape complained of their weight as least until the bullets started flying around their heads then all of a sudden they were wonderfully happy with their rifle. One last thing, The M1 was designed to shoot M2 ball loaded with medium speed powder. Most commercial hunting ammo is loaded with slower powders to get more velocity out of the 06 for people who think that a 150 gr bullet at 2830 fps can not kill a deer. If you want to shoot that stuff but youself a Shuster adjustable gas nut for the gas cylinder. Then you can adjust the gas to suit your ammo and even get a bit more accuracy. This also makes sure that your op rod is not bent and bending one of them will cost you at least $100 to get fixed.

Combat Diver
02-25-2011, 06:59 AM
If your going to not shoot M2 ball then order from Brownells the Adjustable Gas Plug. Here's the website for CMP Sales.

http://www.thecmp.org/

For a hunting rifle it is cheaper and easier to go to Wal Mart and get a bolt combo from the factory (Marlin, Savage, Remington, etc) for around $300-450. You get a rifle all set for deer hunting.

CD

Harry O
02-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I have two of them from the CMP. And, an M1 Carbine. Read the condition they show and buy what you can afford. What you get will fully meet what they promise and will usually be a little bit better. The first one I got was a Collector Grade (I see that they don't have any of that right now). From memory, it was about $700 at the time and I thought it was outrageous, but when I got it, I had no second thoughts. It had a slightly over 1 muzzle wear rating. The rest of it was just short of brand new. They called it NRA "excellent" and they were right. It shoots great.

The second Garand (which just I recently got for $575) and the M1 Carbine (a couple of years ago) were listed as Service Grade. That is listed at NRA "good to very good". The metal is definitely in "very good" condition. There were quite a few handling marks on stocks, but nothing was cracked or broken. They would probably be considered "good condition". They also shoot pretty good. The muzzle wear on the Garand is just halfway between 2 and 3. The stocks can be refinished easily, but I have not been in a hurry to wipe out a lot of honest history. Maybe someday. The Service Grades are honest shooters.

If you think you want to get it rebuilt, you might want to get one of the lowest grades. Generally, that is Rack Grade although I believe a lower grade is sometimes available. There are a number of places that will install a new barrel or completely rebuild it. The CMP also have a completely rebuilt version they sell, but I have never seen it and don't know what it is like. If it is anything like the others, though, it will be as good or better than what they promise.

I go to a LOT of gunshows (everything within 2-1/2 hours drive one way) and I have NEVER seen a better Garand or Carbine on a gunshow table for less than the what the CMP sells them for.

derek45
02-26-2011, 12:26 AM
My Service Grade CMP Garand is the best money I've ever spent.

I got it in the late 1990's

Born in December 1944, IIRC

Please don't run Wal-Mart 30-06 hunting ammo, this rifle is designed to shoot military ball ammo, I run 4895 and 150gr thru mine.

Burn rates of modern hunting ammo can bend the op-rod, and they ain't making any more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6054.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6052.jpg

sqlbullet
02-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Order:

1 Springfield (RM1SAS) or HRA (RM1HRAS) Service Grade M1 Garand $595.00 + $22.95 Shipping
2 4C3006X215-192P 192 round can Greek 30-06 in en bloc clips $96.00 each + $8.95 Shipping

Your total cost for the order will be $827.85. You will be very happy with a Service grade as a shooter. I have two field grade Winchesters and both shoot well. I am ordering two service grades this weekend.

Ole
02-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Get an adjustable gas plug and read up on how to use it if you're not going to reload your own ammo for your Garand.

I bought mine a couple years ago from a local gent that had 8 of them and was getting out of the shooting hobby.

If you're going to try and hunt with it, you may want to look at buying a synthetic stock. The aftermarket (synthetic) stock I put on mine took almost a pound off the curb weight.

b money
02-26-2011, 03:07 AM
First off Derek-that is absolutely beautiful!! If that's what modern service grades look like I'm sold and then some.

Also I do reload(heck I havent bought ammo in over 3yrs) and would never run modern hunting ammo through a garand.

If I take the trip out to the north store is there a way to tell if a particular gun has any NM parts such as sights or triggers?

madsenshooter
02-26-2011, 04:05 AM
Makes me hurt, one is probably all I'll ever have. Got it from the DCM when they were only $185. All the metal had just been rebuilt, but it had one problem, the stock they dropped it in was so worn the receiver hung over at the rear. So it found its way into a Fajen stock. Maybe I could afford another, if these Krag rifles would quit calling my name! Bob, buy me, you can afford it! Got a small flock of them now, and I can only shoot one at a time. I've read that the LER scope mount the CMP sells is pretty rugged, if I were to scope a Garand, I'd give it a try. I've had M1C mounts in my possession, couldn't bring myself to drill and tap the receiver as it's about 2,000,000 shy of the proper serial # range.

Linstrum
02-26-2011, 05:35 AM
WHATEVER YOU DO, GET ONE SOON BEFORE THE COST GOES CLEAN OUT OF SIGHT!!!

If you don't mind getting a modern Garand then see what Springfield Armory, Inc ones are going for, I believe they were made in two groups, one in about 1983 and another in 2002. They were built on the original armory machines used in WW2 and Korea to original specs with original spec steel and heat treat; the 1983 ones were even built by many of the same employees who built them in WW2 and were specifically asked to come out of retirement to train and assist the new crew! So even though the new ones are modern built they still have a direct connection to the original ones.

I have three Garands, two are 1944 and one is 1945. Two I assembled from unissued receivers I bought in 1985 with parts I bought in 1999 with new stocks and barrels I got in 2008. They cost me about $390 each including the new John C. Garand Match legal Criterion match grade barrels. The reason why they only cost $390 each is because I paid $60 for the unissued receivers in 1985.

Of all my rifles my Garands are the ones I enjoy the most, there is nothing quite like having the empty en bloc clip go PING! as it flies out of the magazine well after the last of eight shots is fired, and having it land on top of my hat!

I wish you luck on getting your Garand post haste!

rl973

Linstrum
02-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Hey derek45, it appears that your Garand is a Korean War era, judging from the trigger guard that includes the hinging hole for the winter trigger group. Two of my trigger guards have that and it took me a long time :veryconfu before I found out the purpose for the boss in back of the trigger guard with the hole in it. The guy who told me about the winter trigger group mentioned that the winter trigger is extremely dangerous because the rifle can be fired accidentally very easily and is why you never find winter triggers anymore.

rl974

derek45
02-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Here's a Service Grade a good friend of mine got last year.

Post WWII, it's one of the last ones they made.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/twoalpha/Bobs%20CMP%20GARAND/IMGP7623.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/twoalpha/Bobs%20CMP%20GARAND/IMGP7622.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/twoalpha/Bobs%20CMP%20GARAND/IMGP7619.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/twoalpha/Bobs%20CMP%20GARAND/IMGP7618.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/twoalpha/Bobs%20CMP%20GARAND/IMGP7609.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/twoalpha/Bobs%20CMP%20GARAND/IMGP7612.jpg

NuJudge
02-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Having bought more CMP Garands than I would like my wife to know about, barrels and stocks are the likely problem areas on the rifles.

I would suggest you go to either the North or the South CMP store and select for a tight muzzle. They will loan you a muzzle errosion gauge, or you can use a dummy .30-'06 cartridge (gently inserting the bullet in the muzzle: a new muzzle will show nearly 3/8" of bullet between the muzzle and the case, and badly worn will show no bullet). Some people report that they got a loose muzzle, damaged by poor cleaning practices, which still shoots well, but that has not been my experience. Errosion at the other end of the barrel, in the throat, can be a concern if it is really bad, but the worst I have seen on a CMP rifle is a 7, and that rifle still shoots acceptably, but not Match accurate.

The most recent stocks you will find on them date from the 1960's. The stocks have been clamped between the barreled action and the trigger guard for 40 to 70 years, and those that were heavily used have considerable wear from disassembly. If you want a Garand to shoot well, you need a lot of clamping force when closing the trigger guard. Worn stocks can be repaired by fiberglass bedding, or they can be replaced. CMP will let you test the clamping force on a particular rifle.

CMP has their "special" grade, which has a new Criterion commercial barrel and a new commercial stock, an uses new or nearly new parts for eveything else. They run about $1K, but if you are not going to go look, it's the only guaranteed way to get a good one. I have a Criterion barrel on a M1917 of mine, and it shoots exceedingly well.

derek45
02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey derek45, it appears that your Garand is a Korean War era, judging from the trigger guard that includes the hinging hole for the winter trigger group. Two of my trigger guards have that and it took me a long time :veryconfu before I found out the purpose for the boss in back of the trigger guard with the hole in it. The guy who told me about the winter trigger group mentioned that the winter trigger is extremely dangerous because the rifle can be fired accidentally very easily and is why you never find winter triggers anymore.

rl974

I replaced the trigger guard with this one.

The rifle does have a HRA 3-52 barrel.

I like to think my rifle went to Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and then wore the barrel out gunning down commies at the "Frozen Chosin" in 1950

But my friend says it probably sent it's entire career guarding the back gate of "Camp Swampy". LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6065.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6074.jpg

BruceB
02-26-2011, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=madsenshooter;1176439]Makes me hurt, one is probably all I'll ever have. Got it from the DCM when they were only $185.

In 1963 Lee Harvey Oswald bought his scoped Carcano rifle from Klein's Sporting Goods in Chicago. In the very same advertisement that contained the Carcano, Klein's was offering M1 Garands for $79.95.

Running that $79.95 figure through an inflation calculator, I find that the equivalent in year-2011 dollars comes to $575 .

I don't believe the current asking price is all that outrageous. Time marches on, and inflation marches right with it.

gnoahhh
02-26-2011, 12:23 PM
I got mine from the old DCM, 20 years ago for, as I recall, $169. Back then you paid your money and took your chances on what you got. My buddy and I ordered at the same time. He got an early Springfield that was in horrible condition. It looked like it had been dragged through the mud of a dozen WWII jungles, with almost non-existent rifling. Needless to say it would group into a about a foot at 100 yards on a fat day. Mine came through just the opposite. It was 1953 vintage Harrington and Richardson in absolutely mint condition. I'm sure it had never been arsenal rebuilt, and gave the appearance of never having even been issued. It'll drop 10 into 1 1/2" @ 100yds. with handloads of 168gr. Sierra Matchkings & IMR-4895. With select cast loads it'll do 2" if I squint just right.

I'm not masochist enough to want to lug a 10 pounds all-up rifle around the woods all day, so I've never hunted with it.

Rich/WIS
02-26-2011, 04:05 PM
CMP HRA Service grade, 5.4mil, dated 8 -54 with new CMP birch stock.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k578/RichWIS/000_0014.jpg

A lot of the service grades are coming with new CMP stamped birch stocks. Some people prefer walnut but if you go to the store you can pick through them. I haven't had much chance to shoot it yet, as the weather here is not cooperating, but my old eyes can still get groups of about 3" at 100yds. I hate when people talk about how old some of these rifles are, I'm older than my Garand.

Gtek
02-26-2011, 11:01 PM
A scope on the Garand is at best an after thought. 30 ea. and an orig. M1-D. I am VERY familiar with this weapon. The service grade as a start will serve you well. The big accuracy killers are the rec. walls to stock fit, trigger group compression and hand guard fit. There is slim chance of getting accurate wood. Boyd's wood is easy step for a little over a buck, but needs a little for good fit. If you do jump at one try some 168 gr. hand rolled for those (half worn out) tubes will squirt 1"-3" all day at 100 with those iron's and young eyes.
Suggestion- when I was in my late teens, I went to the local gun store for four months paying off a rifle to give my father. One of the few times I saw his eyes leak. Was his favorite deer stick, he has been gone a little over ten years but they both go to the woods with me a couple times a year. Savage bolt - best bang for the buck- $200 Leupold. Can"t go wrong. - Gtek

Uncle Grinch
02-26-2011, 11:27 PM
My Service Grade CMP Garand is the best money I've ever spent.

I got it in the late 1990's

Born in December 1944, IIRC

Please don't run Wal-Mart 30-06 hunting ammo, this rifle is designed to shoot military ball ammo, I run 4895 and 150gr thru mine.

Burn rates of modern hunting ammo can bend the op-rod, and they ain't making any more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6054.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6052.jpg

Derek,

Those are great photos of a very nice Garand. I keep going back and admiring the quality of them.

Excellent work... Can you spare some details of your camera and techniques?

Uncle Grinch
02-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Love those Garands... I've had 4, a Winchester that came from Roses department store (Korean - traded it), an International Harvester (paid $375 for it from CMP and sold it to a collector for $650 - wish I still had it), and two Springfields. Gave one to my son, and kept the other. The CMP stock on mine was really banged up, but the metal was great. Traded a Mauser stock for a BM59 stock that had been "stretched" to a Garand size, and now my Springfield will hold 3-4 inches at 100 yards with HXP74 Greek.

Like I said... Love those Garands!

derek45
02-26-2011, 11:41 PM
THANKS
:drinks:

PENTAX K110D DSLR

PENTAX 18-55 standard lens

back yard, overcast day.

back when I got it, the stock was cleaned with EASY OFF oven cleaner, and lightly sanded. then rubbed with boiled Linseed oil

Many folks have asked if I had the rifle re-parkerized.
No
The steel is just how it came from CMP.
I assume it was arsenal refinished

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6055.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6057.jpg

b money
02-27-2011, 12:43 AM
In most of the pics that you guys are posting the rifles look almost new!! I'm envious:popcorn:

Linstrum
02-27-2011, 01:25 AM
In most of the pics that you guys are posting the rifles look almost new!! I'm envious

Hi, b money, yeah! The photos sure do look good! That is the nature of the Parkerizing finish that is rock-hard and difficult to scratch through. It does wear off on corners and edges after awhile, but the large flat surfaces are kept from excessive rusting and wear. Although not the prettiest gun surface coating (cold rust bluing is probably the most blue of bluing) it is probably the most durable. I have a set of World War Two era 3/4" drive socket wrenches made by Owatona Tool Company that are Parkerized and after 66+ years of use they still look pretty darned good, and for tools to keep looking good with all the dropping, banging together, and all the other kind of wear tools go through, that speaks highly for Parkerizing as a rather durable good looking surface finish. You can do Parkerizing at home but it gets a little involved, and I suspect that one particular process used on some Garands is not a straight phosphate Parkerizing like is listed in gun smithing books because it tends to change color after awhile from being exposed to sunlight and moisture for a long time, becoming an olive green color. Two of My Garands are the beautiful dark slate blue-gray like in the photos, but the third is a real nice olive drab color, especially when rubbed with a little 10w-30 engine oil. All three are original finish. I read that the Parkerizing process used sometimes had copper salts added instead of zinc salts, which might account for the greenish olive drab color that is occasionally encountered.

But yeah, the rifle in the photos sure does look good!

rl976

Pirate69
02-27-2011, 01:47 AM
Your receiver was made in September of 1941. Your Type 1 trigger guard was used up to SN 3,000,000 (July 1944). Looks like the Ordnance Department Cartouche is the larger version which was used for SN 80,000 to somewhere around 500,000. The stock cartouche is hard to read what is be low the S. A. If it is a single letter, it is probably stamped during the Reconditioning Period (1946-1948) or a later arsenal rebuild. Beautiful stock.

Pirate69
02-27-2011, 01:50 AM
Looks like madsenshooter was looking this up at the same time I was.

derek45
02-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Sorry Guys....

I photo-shopped out the last digit, I don't like showing the entire world wide web my serial numbers

That website says

DEC‑3,359,159

JAN‑3,450,503

mine
It's 3,404,61X

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6061.jpg

few more pics,....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6075.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/CopyofIMGP6071.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6073.jpg

madsenshooter
02-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Oops! Here I was thinking maybe your eyesight was as bad as mine and you were just thinking 3 mil vs 300 thousand. In my case it's already listed on the Garand Collector's Site, I've got the DCM paperwork says it's mine, so 1021447. Anyone wishes to try to do anything with it go for it.

Uncle Grinch
02-27-2011, 08:12 PM
THANKS
:drinks:

PENTAX K110D DSLR

PENTAX 18-55 standard lens

back yard, overcast day.

back when I got it, the stock was cleaned with EASY OFF oven cleaner, and lightly sanded. then rubbed with boiled Linseed oil

Many folks have asked if I had the rifle re-parkerized.
No
The steel is just how it came from CMP.
I assume it was arsenal refinished

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6055.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6057.jpg

Thanks Derek,

You do good work with your photography!

b money
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Thank you to everyone who posted, esp those who posted pics I cant wait to get a garand!!!!

mustanggt
02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
b money, you will never regret getting one. I fell in love as soon as I picked her up. It was made even better when I showed my dad. He's a Korean War veteran and it was worth every penny I paid to see the look on his face when he saw it. Needless to say it was an emotional experience for the both of us.

Crash_Corrigan
03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
For some reason I seem to enjoy shooting my M-1 more than all of my other 8 rifles. There is joy in making good handloads for it that function the action perfectly and toss the brass in a neat pile in front of me.

And the tossing and pinging of the clip after the 8th shot is a joy.

I have one made in 1954 so I am sure mine does not have too much history behind it. I bought it from a guy at my range that had 7 of them. He let me use his at a 300 yd gong with military surplus ammo and with the issue sights I did pretty good and I was hooked on the gun.

I paid $750 for mine and I do not regret it for a minute. It is in pretty good shape and shoots better than I can. I know this because others have shot much better than me using my gun and ammo.

I added a front globe sight to mine and it makes a big difference in my groups. Illegal for some matches but I can switch it out in five minutes but I usually do not. The next step would be to get an adjustible gas plug to tune this rifle to my loading and find the most accuracy.

It is great to own and shoot a piece of history and it would be a great WTSHTF weapon for defense of me and mine. I keep two ammo cans of HXP Greek surplus ammo in bandoliers handy just in case.

I would not hesitate to use it for hunting but with my infirmities I would probably be in a tree stand and not walking around so the weight would not be a problem.

hamour
03-03-2011, 04:19 AM
B Money, I wuld suggest a different grade fr you, either a HRA or SA Service Grade Special. They are esentialy new rifles from the mid 50's that have a new manufactured stock and new stock metal. They are 895 USD each. I have a Service Grade and two Service Grade specials. The SG specials had no wear I could detect and shoot great straight from the box.

I love all 3 but the service grade specials have the best chance of being exactly what you want.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Miltary%20Rifles/100_0012.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Miltary%20Rifles/100_0010.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Miltary%20Rifles/100_0004.jpg

Got-R-Did
03-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Derek45, Really nice rifle; I do not think your cartouche is a George A. Woody (GAW) under the SA which would be correct for your rifle. That said, it could be an NFR and that might be close enough for Govt. work. It appears you have a W.R.A.-1 safety in your Trigger Group. I need one to make the Trigger Group correct in my 1,282,XXX (Jan-43) Winchester Garand correct. Would you consider trading for an SA correct for your rifle? The 6 Million rifle belonging to your Friend is quite a treat to see. Many Thanks. I have been collecting Garands for well over ten years and 45 rifles have passed through my hands to arrive at my current collection. Lets just say that they will not all fit in a standard 24 gun safe. If you read my profile it will clarify my background better than relisting it in this entry. I, too, remember the days of buying from the old DCM as my Father did back then. Of course you were limited to one in a lifetime, and as mentioned earlier, you never knew what might show up but at about $165 it was a good deal. I did most of my buying in the late 90s through about 2007 just before the prices forced me into semi-retirement as a collector (OK accumulator). I was fortunate to be asked to handle an estate for the Mother of an acquaintance. After nearly three hours of cataloging and doing data sheets on the rifles, she was overwhelmed and told me to make an offer for the entire lot. We wrote down figures on paper and since we were fairly close (her total was lower) she insisted my time was worth the difference. I made a call to SWMBO and received a cheerful "whatever makes you happy" approval for the purchase and went home with eight Garands. About two weeks later she then dropped off two .50 cal cans of M2 ball and a pair of bayonets saying Merry Christmas.
I absolutely love these rifles, and often wonder about the weight issue many people bring up. The average height/weight of the Soldier in WWII and even Korea was 5'10"/150 lbs. The current iteration of the Armed Forces AR15A4 weighs nearly 10 lbs with all the equipment clamped to it. Like many others here, I always make new friends at the range when my babies come out to play. I will be adding the scope mount that replaces the rear handguard to mount an Extended Eye Relief Burris 2-7 scope for my fun gun. I hunt from a stand as well so weight is only a factor if I have to drag a deer and my rifle back to the barn.
Sorry so long a post, but I think every shooter should at least have the opportunity to shoot these treasures once. Be warned, you may catch a terminal case of "Garanditis".
If you have the opportunity to go to the South Store (Anniston, AL) or the North Store (Camp Perry/Port Clinton, OH) to pick one out in person, the experience is well worth the gas and time just to be among so many helpful staff and rifles. The smell is like the best perfume known to man besides the smell of burning propellant. I have made two trips to the North Store, and four to the South; never left without at least one rifle.
Cheers,
Got-R-Did.

smokemjoe
03-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Garanditis -34 that I have kept.

NuJudge
03-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Garanditis -34 that I have kept.

That's a good start.

CDD

AZ-Stew
03-11-2011, 03:56 PM
When I bought mine from the DCM in the late 70s, early 80s, there was a rule of one per lifetime, and you had to sign an agreement never to sell it. It took close to two years to complete the process, from the time of application to the time of delivery. Mine is an H&R, barreled in 1953, and I'm pretty certain that it was never issued. It arrived with a tube made of vapor rust preventative paper in the bore. While I waited for it to arrive, I spent a lot of time searching for the "match" load using 4895 and 168 gr Sierra Match King bullets that everyone thought was so great. I finally found the load (remember, there was no Internet then where you can get instant info) in a book I ordered, I immediately made up a couple of boxes of the loads in anticipation of my rifle's arrival. When it finally got to me, I took it to the range and found that my rifle threw these "match" loads all over the paper. I finally developed a load using H-335 and the 150 gr Sierra Game King SPBT that will shoot just over an inch at 100.

By the way, mine cost $118 +$8 shipping, for a whopping total of $126. Nice rifle for the price!

Regards,

Stew

mroliver77
03-15-2011, 11:33 PM
I live a hour from the N store. I have a pal that has Garanditis and has a bunch of them. He is very into having part numbers that would have been on a factory gun. He spends hours at the store going over Garands and looking at his books and notes.He sometimes buys a gun just to get a bolt. op-rod or even trigger parts. He will replace the part with a fully operational spare he has and then sell the gun, usually at a profit. He does find Rack grade guns with exceptional barrels but mebbe an ugly or mismatched finish.
I am not a collector but want good shooters. He has come through for me (to) many times. I grabbed a bunch of ammo when I was at the NM. Got some HXP that is good stuff and some LC "overhead fire" rated ammo. This shoots pretty darned good for milsurp ammo.
I did pick up a 1917 that was a turn in Ii believe. The wood is so oiled and polished from honest to God handling that it is neat to touch. The barrel looked strong but dark and ugly. Lots of soaking cleaning helped but it still was just not there. I started shooting cast WW 311284 FWFL over 16gr 2400. It cleaned up nicely and is a real shooter! I have an early 42 Garand that has original barrel, bolt, uncut op-rod and complete lock bar sights. I do want to put this one "right" but need $$ to do it. The correct stocks are around $300. or more in decent shape.So I do have a 1950s SA for sale. It is a nice gun and has a 5ish throat, 2ish muzzle and decent fit and finish. She is a shooter not a show piece. I rarely sell a gun but she needs to go. I wont Gunbroker her. I want her to be loved and shot. Not sit in a gunshow rack with a $900. price or one of them guys that gotta have it now then lose interest and peddle it at the local shop or pawn broker. Ya I am weird like that. If anybody is really interested gimme a shout.
Jay

JIMinPHX
03-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I'd like to pick up a Garand some day, but right now I'm selling stuff, not buying stuff.

Got-R-Did
03-16-2011, 03:25 PM
MrOliver77, it wouldn't happen to be a 600K would it? If so, we need to talk.
Got-R-Did.

b money
03-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just bump this one. I just picked up a 199mil serial number SA garand at an auction, I'm sure it has mis matched parts but I don't care. It has a walnut stock with no cleaning kit or rod. The finish on the outside of the gun isnt perfect either, the worst area is the gas tube(almost completely rubbed off) but i think those can be replaced so im not to woried about it.The main thing to me is that the finish inside the receiver/bolt was almost perfect and the barrel(dated 12 43 54 so I'm guessing it's a 54 barrel) looked almost new as well. Most all the guns at this auction looked like they weren't cleaned in a pretty long time(I dont know what people are thinking) and this gun was one of the cleanest I'm thinking the person that had this gun didn't shoot it much as there was another garand at the auction that had a very dirty barrel, you could see brass on the bolt head, and the muzzle looked horrible but the outside finish was pertty good, oh and it had a lighter color kinda sorta tiger stripe stock. I went back and forth about which one to bid on but in the end I wanted a gun that could shoot not just look pertty. Also I got mine for $650 and the other one went for $775. I don't usually post prices but I want to know how some of you "Garandits" guys think I did. So please post your honest opinions because either way I already own it and I'm happy, I'm just interested to hear what you say, plus I need something to keep me from going crazy waiting to pick it up Tuesday:D. Also I will post some pics when I get it home.

rmcc
03-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Got mine from CMP about 4 years ago made in 1955, was $522.00 with shipping. Was "service" grade by their standards. Shoots better than I am capable of. I think you did OK. Sounds like you got a shooter. Go shoot a NRA match and you will see how you and the old gal do together. At the club they issue LC68 & LC 72 ball for the matches. I did okay with these but then went to Hornady 150 FMJ over 49.0 IMR 4895. Groups went to 1/2 right away.

Good luck,
Rich

Phat Man Mike
03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
after a lot of whining and complaining our club just became a affiliated CMP club.. I can't wait till some extra change is found where I can buy one for myself :)

rmcc
03-27-2011, 05:19 PM
You will never regret it!!!

grog18b
03-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Order:

1 Springfield (RM1SAS) or HRA (RM1HRAS) Service Grade M1 Garand $595.00 + $22.95 Shipping
2 4C3006X215-192P 192 round can Greek 30-06 in en bloc clips $96.00 each + $8.95 Shipping

Your total cost for the order will be $827.85. You will be very happy with a Service grade as a shooter. I have two field grade Winchesters and both shoot well. I am ordering two service grades this weekend.

+1. I ordered mine and received a beautiful Springfield with a lot of original parts and an awesome barrel. Mine is an M1C, made in June 44. I love to shoot it, and it loves the Greek ammo. No problems at all with mine, and the CMP program is awesome. GROG

Linstrum
03-29-2011, 03:42 AM
Don't worry about the gas cylinders not having any Parkerizing on them. The gas cylinders on Garands are made from a type of stainless steel so they would handle the corrosive primed ammo we used until about 1954, and they cannot be Parkerized. The problem of coloring them to match the rest of the rifle was solved by painting them and the paint wears off, revealing the natural dull silvery gray finish of the alloy. All three of my Garands have dark silvery gas cylinders and I just leave them alone since I don't know what the "official" paint is that was originally used.

rl995

sqlbullet
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Mine are all shiny too.

If I were to do something to them, I would probably try cerakoat, but I don't see the need.

b money
03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Alright thanks, that makes me feel better

redneckdan
03-29-2011, 07:59 PM
I had one for a little while. It was fun to shoot and the *ping* was definitely worth it. I took one deer with it. I had been at the range testing some loads with 175gr SMKs out to 400yds. As I was packing up, a herd of deer came out on the marked distance range and the range owner I had been shooting with said 'sure, why not'. I found a nice 6 point standing pretty darn near the 325yd wind flag. I dialed in the dope, settled in over the bags and squeezed off the shot. The deer looked up, turned it's head....and fell over like a 500yd ram. I never would have attempted it if I hadn't been working up my range dope earlier that day. I then proceeded to carry that rifle for the rest of deer season and never saw I thing. And oh man does it get heavy.

b money
03-30-2011, 02:02 AM
I just got mine home tonight, and it looks better than it did when I bought it, I field stripped it and all the numbers I could find had SA next to them except the receiver legs(clip housing) that had a WW. Everything but the receiver and the gas tube looked brand new, I'm not sure it's been shot since when ever it was rebuilt. Oh and the barrel had the numbers 12 54 43 in that order so is the barrel a '43 or a '54? I would post pics but I can't find the damn cord to the camera to upload them:evil:

Harry O
04-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Just picked up a delivery from the CMP, yesterday.

I ordered a Service Grade HRA Garand ($595) since I don't have one of them. The muzzle wear is a 2. Most of the metal is 98%. It is the dark parkerizing type. There is one piece (the gas cylinder) that is about 92% to 95%. There is a new CMP stock on it, not original GI wood. The stock seems to match the contour of WW2 stocks rather than the clunkier Korean War stock.

I took it apart and it is perfect inside. It was shipped totally dry, so I greased it when I had it apart. The stock is also totally dry. I doubt that it has ever had any boiled linseed oil on it. I intend to shoot it at the range this week. If there are no squawks, I will take it apart and start rubbing oil into it. It should be ready to go in 4 to 6 months.

I think I got my moneys worth.