PDA

View Full Version : Falling in love with the J-frame...again

shooting on a shoestring
02-24-2011, 10:40 PM
I carried my no dash Mod 60 .38 for uh...long time. I moved a mountain of wheelweights with that little piece, to the point it went out of time. While it was laid up, I took the opportunity to move up to .357 in a nice SP101. The SP101 has been my carry piece since. The Mod 60 went to S&W for a re-work (set the barrel back, recut the forcing cone, fit a new hand, shipped back for less than $100 made me very happy).

Well, this week the SP101 was given a break and I've carried the Mod 60. Man it carries well. I forgot how it just rides along unnoticed. I still shoot it better than the SP101. It sure is tempting to just keep carrying it.

Piedmont
02-24-2011, 11:34 PM
What loads were you shooting that would necessitate setting the barrel back and recutting a forcing cone?

Az Rick
02-24-2011, 11:44 PM
I too own both , no dash 60 , the 101 has a 3" barrel. They're like children, you have to treat them equally. The 60 is great for lighter clothing and town environment. The .357 is a great hiking/hunting companion. I like them equally, just in different roles. I agree the 60 carries very well. Keep carrying and shooting her!

Best, Rick

9.3X62AL
02-25-2011, 01:28 AM
All of the S&W J-frames are neat, compact little revolvers. I wish I could shoot them better than I do. My big old paws just don't mesh with them well unless a set of stocks large enough get attached, and that kinda defeats the purpose of the small frame.

I don't fit well in compact pickup trucks, either.

Jack Stanley
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Ya know ..... there is such a thing as "bonding" with a certain gun . Sometimes it's by carrying and sometimes by shooting , still others by repairing them all the time . I've got one big ol' gun that just seems to be normal even if I haven't used it in a while . Of course in times past , that gun snapped about six thousand primers a year with me . I never did a concealed carry type bonding though .... rifles just don't snuggle under a shirt all that well .

Jack

arjacobson
02-25-2011, 08:02 PM
I love my airweight for carry use. Sure wish I could find my old model 36. Loved that j frame..

shooting on a shoestring
02-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Piedmont, what load?...all of them.

Yep I suspect it was a cop gun before I got it in the late 70s. It was high mileage then. I shot it ALOT. 3.0 grs Bullseye under 358156 was a long time favorite. Then it was mostly 5.0 grs Herco under 358091. However, there were some 6.0 gr Unique loads with 158 JHPs occasionally, maybe a went through a box evert two years, for oh probably 10 years, and in about the 90s 358087 got in the mix with Bullseye or Herco.

For lots of years, I shot that little gun 400+ rounds per month. It fits me well. Surprisingly small groups for a 1.875" barrel. Pretty easy to hold 4" off hand at 25, and lots of 3".

Now to 44man, thats pretty bad, but for me, workable.