PDA

View Full Version : soy wax

wgr
02-24-2011, 10:15 PM
any of you guys ever use soy wax to make bullet lube?

bbqncigars
02-24-2011, 10:52 PM
It don't mean beans to me. ;-)

Lead pot
02-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Yup still have about 30 pounds of it.

wiljen
02-25-2011, 10:50 AM
I tried it and it is way softer than any other wax. I had difficulty stiffening it up enough to make a decent lube with it. It seemed to work fairly well, but was extremely soft and sticky. You could probably mix Beeswax or even Carnuaba or paraffin with it but my goal was to see if it could be used if those others were not available. Results were at best mixed.

Ohio Rusty
02-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes. I have mixed soy wax and bears oil together to make a lube that wasn't so liquid. It worked excellent. Being both are natural products (non-petroleum), caking of fouling wasn't an issue.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Lead pot
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Soy works good.
There is no problem with it being to soft and sticky. You must be putting to much junk in it.
There is more of a brittle problem with it if you pan lube, the block has a problem breaking when you push the bullets out, but that can be worked out using the right mix.
I like the Soy wax.
If cost is a factor for you, compared to B-wax it's cheep. When I got mine It was by a 50 pound bag at just a fraction of the cost to B- wax

wiljen
02-25-2011, 12:25 PM
There is no problem with it being to soft and sticky. You must be putting to much junk in it.

I suspect perhaps a different supplier and a different type of soy-wax as what I got was pretty dead soft even without adding anything to it. I appreciate the thought, but don't think additives were the issue in my case.

Lead pot
02-25-2011, 01:31 PM
wiljen

Your most likely right. I dont know if they make different grades.
It'd like the mineral wax I'm using there so many grades that have several temperature ratings.
The thing with Soy wax is keep it simple and find the type of oil you use in the mix to make it bend and not snap.
I personally like my lube on the soft side and I mix it according to the temperatures I shoot.
The Soy wax. I sample it by setting 4-5 bullets in a pan and let the lube set. when I can push the bullets out of the cake with out pushing them through my thumb:| and mashing some lube with my fingers. It will be like cold butter when it gets squashed between your fingers and it gets greasy when you rub your thumb and finger together that is the point the soy wax works best.
The soy makes a very good oil Carrier and really hydrates the black powder fouling when you use the blow tube.
You might try a highly refined mineral oil like Baby oil or the stuff used for a laxative. Dont use the mineral oils like you use for refrigeration.
Besides the Baby oil makes the lube smell good:bigsmyl2:

wgr
02-25-2011, 11:39 PM
thinks for the replies guys. i got a pound of it might as well try it