PDA

View Full Version : Any 41 cal from 9mm intrest?

BT Sniper
02-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Just finishing up a set of 41 cal dies for a member. Results are turning out great. All ready had severial shooters post a lot of succes with these bullets and dies.

I found out that a great 41 cal bullet can be made in the one step form using a 125 grain .356 cast boolit for the core. This yeilds a 193 grain bullet. Really looks good. Now add the core seat die and the universial notch die and you get great looking XTP look a like bullets.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/41cals003.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/41cals001.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/41cals002.jpg

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

ccook23
02-25-2011, 12:55 AM
New to the board, so please bare with me. Can you explain your pricing in more detail? I pretty sure I can get a .41 cal 2 die set complete for about 135.00.

You want 175 for one die - and 325 for a set - which is ok - but what is the value add you are bringing to the table? I really liked the picture of your notch punch, that is really sweet.

If Im off base with my comparison of prices I appologize in advance.

Thanks!

Clint

bohica2xo
02-25-2011, 01:58 AM
The CH dies are full of soft internal parts. The die bodies are hardened, but the punches & internal components appear to be dead soft mild steel.

The punch below was in a .452 set I bought new, straight from CH4D. The allen screw kept loosening up. The first time it fell out on the 5th bullet. By the time it had made 35 bullets, it looked like that. Done. The stop bolt was so badly deformed It would not come out of the die body without resorting to a pipe wrench.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_f9mZJsRJS54/TROkmDOmbJI/AAAAAAAAAN4/f9sMnkURfmQ/s912/CHpunch1.jpg

I believe BT replaces all of the internal parts with heat treated steel. I know he eliminates the set screw. After making more than a thousand bullets with one of his punches in the same die, it looks like the day I installed it.

The mods are worth it to me. The notch die assembly is next on my list.

B.

BT Sniper
02-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Clint

Welcome to the sight. Certainly is the best sight to learn about anything to do with making your own bullets. Thanks for the compliments on the notched bullets. They did turn out well. The universial notch die I offer is where the real savings is. It took me the better part of my spare time over last couple years perfecting it. Only other one I know of is offered by Corbin for use in his core seat dies. Of course each core seat die is caliber specific and his "sabor tooth" punch sells for $230ish. With my design you can make these notches on any bullet from 17-50 cal with the same die.

As for the swage dies, yes CH offers theirs for the $135 you mentioned and they will work well if you use them the way they where intended to be used. With simple copper jackets and soft lead cores to form SP style bullets. These are the same $135 dies I have to purchase to upgrade. Now if you want to turn brass cases into great bullets you will be wise to improve upon the internial components and design of the CH dies.

My first puchase from Ch was a 44 cal set in which I began my tryle and errors in attempting to turn a 40 S&W case into a shootable bullet. I used what I had on had at the time and wheel weight alloy was what I could find. Well I certainly had my challenges and many errors to contend with reguarding the capibilities of the CH dies. I found out that it was not the die body that was the problem with me using ww alloy or 40 S&W cases for the jackets, the weak link was the soft metal and design of the internial components CH uses.

To tell you the truth I had never wanted anything to work so badly before and yet been so frustrated at the same time when it didn't. The frustration was very difficult for me to deal with for that first year of trying to figure it all out.

Here is a pic of my orginal CH die internials after a few hundred or so bullets where made.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/chdieproblems-1.jpg

Notice the problem areas labeled by the small red arrows. I had problems with stripped threads caused by pounding the extractor rod. The set screw would not hold either punch for core seat or swage die in place and it would fall out the bottom of the die requiring you to disasemble the die to put it back together. The core seat die internial punch would gall against the opening in the top of die during attempts to eject the bullet. The beveled edge at the base of the ejecting rod would buldge the threaded stop bolt causing a bunch of problems. To say the least I had my share of dificulties.

Maybe when only used with pure lead and simple copper jackets the dies will work fine. Severial have reported positive results from their stock CH die, as for me I wanted somthing better that would last forever so thats what I made, perfected, and offer to everyone today.

As for justifing cost, well I wish I could get more but I do try to offer a great tool for an affordable price. I don't think I am anywhere near reclaiming my labor costs but I stand behind the tools I offer you even when used with slightly harder lead cores or brass cases for jackets. Of course I recamend you keep the cores as soft as possible since softer lead will be easier on all your equipment. Ch will not warranty their dies when we use anything but pure lead. Should any of my customers have difficulty with these dies they can get them fixed or replaced threw me instead of CH. In the year I have offered these dies there are better then 80 dies in use that I have upgraded all of them still going strong as far as I know.

I break my cost down to a simple $100 additional per die, on top of the Ch price, for completly new internial parts to replace all the exsiting CH parts. This covers my cost of material, not all the labor, but a couple dollors for my effort in helping customers have an enjoyable first time swaging experience instead of the challenging one I had. These parts I offer are better in both design and material. When a customer wishes to make the bullets I have posted pictures of from scrap brass and chose to purchase my dies they are getting a set of dies that are all set up ready to go and will work as I have said they will.

So for now that is the best answer I can offer to justify my costs to anyone potentially interested in making bullets from brass cases. I offer a proven design to help save you any frustration in this hobby so you can sepnd more time shooting these great bullets. The possiblities and cost benifits with making these bullets from nearly free brass far out weight the little extra I charge for an upgraded die vs. the stock CH die in my opinion and I want to make this process as easy and enjoyable as I can for everyone.

Good Shooting,

BT Sniper

Love Life
02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
BT Sniper,

Are you receiving any of my e-mails?

Dick

mold maker
02-25-2011, 11:35 AM
For those of you who haven't experienced using BTs dies, with bulged (Glock fired) .40 brass and free range lead to make some of the most impressive shooting bullets, don't wait.
I've had mine for several months, and everyone that has seen what these dies produce, can't belive their home made. If it weren't for the extractor groove, (which is hidden inside the case) they look like factory.
On top of that, they shoot as good as factory, maybe better.
At today's prices how many boxes of .44 magnum JHP notched rounds (XTP look alike) will it take to spend more than the price of the dies, and have the pride of making them yourself?
I have also ordered the dies to use 9mm (plentiful and cheap) brass to make .41 JHP. I hope that's the set BT mentioned making for a member. I have also added my name to the list for .45 cal dies.
It's not that I like spending money, I remember when not too long ago, you couldn't find ammo of any flavor, or at least none that you could afford. I will remember that next time, while I shoot JHPs for almost the price of powder and primers, and as many as I wish.

I forgot to mention that they expand great, and in wet paper media the wound channel is killer.

BT Sniper
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Love life, Yep, I'll get you a reply as soon as I can. I get quite a few PMs :) Wait! you said EMAILS??? or PMs???? I have got your PMs but no emails.

Email at BT_Sniper@hotmail.com

Mold maker. Yep! You are looking at your bullets and future dies! :) They came together GREAT! It had been a while since I made any 41s, and this was the first time I made any with the universial notch die nose punch. I was impressed enough I had to get a pic posted ASAP. With the 125 grain .356 core and the notch die it made a perfect 193 grain bullet if you ask me. I imagine the potential for this bullet should be very impressive. Simply bore out a 9mm mold a bit and making 205 and 220 grain or even heavier is no problem.

I also found out that if one wanted too you can make the bullet pictured with just one step in the swage die but the rusults using the complete set are hard to arguee with too.

You should have these dies at your door by end of next week.

Anyone else interested in making the 41 cal bullets pictured above I am taking orders and will be able to deliver dies in about 3-4 weeks time. Maybe less but as always quality always comes first if there is any delays. Really is quite easy to make your own bullets and the results are very good. I'll see if I can find a few links to previous shooter's results with these bullets.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT Sniper

sargenv
02-25-2011, 03:37 PM
To give an example.. I've made approx 5000 of the 9 into 40 193's... the going rate by Montana Gold is somewhere in the range of $100/1000 for a similar product.. so my dies have full well paid for themselves.. I believe if you want to purchase Hornady or other major bullet maker, that $10/100 will rise to $14+/100. My pictures of the bullets I've made withthese dies are scattered around in the swaging forum.. I'd be interested in the 41 cal dies if I shot my 41 mag at all.. which currently I do not.. If you shoot a lot for any of the calibers he offers the dies for, and you have access to free brass, then the cost of the die is well worth what BT offers..

BT Sniper
02-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Just thought of somthing. There are many .357 cast bullet molds to chose from that will work well with making these 41 cal bullets. A 145 grain .357 should yeild a 210 grain bullet and the 158 core up to a 225 grain bullet.

Imagine all the bullets you need for the 41Mag at these three perfect weights of 190, 210 and 225 grains!

Good shooting

BT