PDA

View Full Version : Krag question

JSH
11-19-2006, 10:21 PM
I ran across one of the nicest Krag's I have seen for a long time. The number one thing is it has not been touched by bubba at all. I would rate it about 75% and that would be on the low side I think. This is a full length rifle, not one of the carbine variations. What are these going for? What he has this priced at I could buy a very nice 03A3 which is what I was looking for.
Thanks in advance.
jeff

straightshooter1
11-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I think price varies from area to area. For example, here in TampaBay a NICE 03A3 will set you back about $550-600 while a nice Krag will go for more. My FFl has two nice ones, both 1898s, one at $1299 complete w/bayonet and the other, which also has a pristine bore, is $799. Both have the correct rear sights. It is becoming common to remove the correct rear sights with the windage adjustment and moveable aperture sight and sell them separately, sticking a '96 sight on it its place. There are several correct '98 rear sights.

If I didn't already have a great shooter, I'd try to dicker a bit on the one at $799. The $1299 one has been there a couple of months and, IMO, is priced too high. The $799 one will sell quickly.

18 months ago I sold two Krags, really nice, 90% or better, with slings and bayonets for about 2K to the same FFL.

Cutdowns, whether Bubba'd or "custom" are a fraction of these prices. Krags with marginal or pitted bores or worn or badly dinged up stocks also sell for much less (though the gun show vendors often try for a home run regardless of condition).

Bob

Buckshot
11-20-2006, 03:15 AM
.................Straightshooter1, mirrors what I was going to say. Really nice 'Issue' Krags are high, high, high! Especially if the barrel is in any kind of shape. Just like Trapdoors, they seemed to be fairly resonable in price until the last 10 years or so, then they just escalated out of the range of working class people who'd make a bit of a sacrifice to have one.

................Buckshot

JSH
11-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Well, I may dicker with him then. I am in the dark on the sights here. If you could direct me to a source or pictures would be much appreciated. Also if there are any certain things I should maybe be aware of to look at the next time I get a chance to look at this.
Thanks again.
Jeff

Herb in Pa
11-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Go here to ask your questions.................

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/krag/krag.pl

Char-Gar
11-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Given the same condition (metal, wood, markings, bore etc. etc.) a unaltered Krag would run $200 to $300 more than the equivalent 03A3 in my park to the woods. Once the condition gets 90% or better the difference spreads much more with the Krag in the lead.

Lots of sawed off Krags out there for $300 to $400 that make great cast bullet shooters for the fellow who is not a collector but loves the Krag action. I am one of those guys.

I don't have a full military Krag, but have two sporters and another in the making. My first sporter cost me $15.00 in 1960, the next $225 in 1998.

The one in the making is a custom sporter with new barrel, stock etc. etc. I have $300 in the parts (action, new barrel, receiver sights , front sight ,stock blank, butt plate, grip cap and barrel band). The gunsmithing bill will run $150 and the blue job another $200 or so. That plus about hundred and fifty hours of my work will get her done.

Krags rule!!!!

JCherry
11-20-2006, 12:02 PM
JSH,

For good information / photos etc on the Krag go to;

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/

Have Fun,

JCherry

floodgate
11-20-2006, 01:39 PM
JSH:

Also, go to <www.northcapepubs.com> and order a copy of Joe Poyer's "For Collectors Only*: The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", ($19.95). Full details on parts, sights and acouterments, variations by model, serials, "Benecia" carbines, etc., etc. Best $20 a Krag owner could spend. I am currently working through their book on the .58 and .50-70 Trapdoors, etc., and also have their book on the .45-70s. Very well written and comprehensive details on all.

floodgate

* Also works for shooters, too, but no loading data.

JSH
11-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Well I bought the damn thing. After a bit of looking and talking to a few folks locally I don't think I got hurt. I guess I need dies and a few pieces of brass now.
Anyone have links to direct me to a mfg. date? I looked at the Krag site, but didn't see any reference.
Jeff

JCherry
11-26-2006, 09:59 PM
JSH,

Go to;

www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm

Scroll down about half way on the first page and select "Krag Rifles & Carbines". Then enter your rifles serial number. It will give you the year of manufacture for weapons in that serial number range and indicate if your weapon was orginally a rifle or carbine. There may be some additional information if you are lucky about what unit it was initially issued etc.

Civilize em with a Krag!!!

Have Fun,

RayinNH
11-26-2006, 10:37 PM
JSH, you'll love your new Krag. I have two. An 1898 rifle that is unaltered and an 1898 that has been sporterized, and Redfield peep sight added on. Both have worn rifling but it doesn't seem to matter as both will shoot well, almost anything that I put through them. Boolit 311284 does particularly well. Enjoy your new toy...Ray