PDA

View Full Version : Getting the lead out

gjemba
02-24-2011, 06:51 PM
I decided to start a new thread in case everyone was tired of looking at my thread about my Encore barrel leading problem.

I have done the searches about cleaning lead and found lots of suggestions and witches brew. Short of cutting the last inch off the barrel give me your best shot. I plan to use a paint stripper heat gun and pull a brush through. I don't want to put a flame on it. It is stuck pretty tight. According to what I have read, since it is at the end of the barrel, the theory is that the bullet ran out of lube. Is that the consensus?

Thanks

Gary

02-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Yep, you need a better lube.

Chore Boy copper scouring pads are the best for removing lead. Cut off a section and wrap it round a brass brush and have at it. A Kroil pre-soak is very beneficial.

onondaga
02-24-2011, 08:10 PM
The consensus is that a bullet running out of lube before the muzzle is caused by gas jetting around a bullet that is too small or too soft or both. Lube quality can be a factor too and some lubes have recommended maximum velocities.

There is a lot of tumble lube haters out there, but I have never had lube failure with Lee Liquid Alox or 45:45: 10 tumble tubed onto bullets .002 bigger than Groove to groove slugged bore diameter and using the Lee outline for selecting alloy hardness with plain base bullets. Gas checked bullets have a lot more flexibility with higher pressure and velocity than Lee suggests for plain base bullets. I have a .223 Rem cast load at 2700 fps with a 22BHN alloy gas checked bullet that is tumble lubed . No Leading and sub MOA accuracy.

Bore finish can be a factor also, fire polishing can remedy that or even a Hoppe's Bore Snake and chrome polish can turn an almost good bore finish into an excellent bore finish with a slick shine that won't hold lead.

If you want real accuracy, no leading and high velocity, there are no short cuts around measured bullet fit, alloy selection and lube that leaves a visible star on the muzzle after 5 shots.

Gary

btroj
02-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Heat is not the way to get lead out. The chore boy on a brush works very well.
Try a fatter bullet. Try a different lube. Try a gas check.

That cartridge and bullet. So many things can cause leading, it is tough sometimes to diagnose. Could be a rough bore. Who knows.

Brad

Three44s
02-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Copper chore boy .............. for leading in a bore.

Lewis lead remover for a forcing cone that's leading.

Follow up with USP or JB bore paste and conventional solvents. Then take those bullets that are leading and try Lee liquid alox and lube over the top of whatever they are presently lubed with. Don't fire a whole bunch of these ........ particularily if the bore is re-leading .......... re-clean your bore.

Each cycle, you are micro polishing your bore with the JB or USP.

If you want to fire lap then I suggest a book from Beartooth Bullets that costs just $15 postage paid. Very well worth every red cent!

Forget witches brews and hack saws and heat guns.

Three 44s

Bret4207
02-25-2011, 09:17 AM
4/0 steel wool o a worn born brush and some solvent of your choice. No, it won't hurt the barrel.

lonewelder
02-25-2011, 09:22 AM
+1 on the kroil soak,it seems to get under the lead

peerlesscowboy
02-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Lewis Lead remover

dragonrider
02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Foul Out by Outers, the easiest way to remove lead from a bore, and it gets it all.

Moonie
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
There are articles online that show you how to build your own Foul Out, it is really pretty simple, all you need is a cheap plastic flashlight, some wire, some alligator clips a steel rod some stoppers and o-rings. You will need to do some soldering.

I built one for a new-to-me Mauser 98 that wouldn't stop putting out crud when cleaned. Worked great.

bobo55
03-05-2011, 09:46 PM
On stainless steel auto barrels I use an old school trick of 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar.Submerge barrel compleatly for at least 5 but no more than 10 min each soaking.May take 2-3 soakings depending on amount of leading.Scrub with brass brush and dry patch between soakings.You'll be surprised how much lead will come out on that dry patch.

ubetcha
03-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I understand Kroil or Eds red left soaked and using Chore boy

bbqncigars
03-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Mmm, Kroil. Is there anything it can't do? A penetrant, condiment, and aftershave. ;-)

Wayne, who also treasures his remaining 1/2qt of the old Hoppe's No. 9

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I use a cleaning rod with a brass jag with a patch
of old T-shirt material and a very thin bit of 0000 steel wool
(If you were to count the strands of the steel, it'd be about 20).
soak the patch with kroil or whatever, it helps everything slide through.
slide through several times, when you see some lead slivers,
change out the patch and steel wool and repeat, til all lead is out.
Jon

Mal Paso
03-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I like the Lewis Lead Remover but I just measured the pistol model and it maxes out at 8 3/4 inches so you'll need the rifle model.http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20823/Product/LEWIS_LEAD_REMOVER_FOR_RIFLES___SHOTGUNS

prickett
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Foul Out by Outers, the easiest way to remove lead from a bore, and it gets it all.

+1

Requires NO elbow grease. My kind of solution!

P.S. Its also completely safe. I've seen the occasional complaint about the homemade units causing pitting after just a short time.

Moonie
03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
+1

Requires NO elbow grease. My kind of solution!

P.S. Its also completely safe. I've seen the occasional complaint about the homemade units causing pitting after just a short time.

I don't run mine more than 15 min at a time, not had a problem so far.

iammarkjones
03-16-2011, 09:26 PM
For your barrels sake please no heat. Kroil and pre-soaking have worked well for me.