PDA

View Full Version : old lee pan lube kits

luna butte
02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
anyone know where to find one sized to .356 or .310

i am brannew to reloading (like i have yet to load a single shell) and have been looking around for the equipment to get started, i have got a couple of lee loaders (30 30, and 9mm) a couple of molds and about 200#s of WW. i also have a few primers, and i scored at a yard sale a few weeks ago with twelve 1# jugs of new unopened powder of various types for $15

i am now needing a sizer and a way to lube the bullets and i thought i'd stick to the mallet approach since i have way more time than money.

thanks.

Cowboy T
02-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Lee doesn't make the pan lube kits anymore, but I can attest to the goodness of their current boolit sizers. They work very well and are very fast. The liquid Alox that comes with the modern kits also works well. I use it for all my boolits.

Here's how it works. Last video series down in the list.

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/lead.html

unclebill
02-24-2011, 08:27 PM
those sizers work really well.
i have em in my 3 main calibers.

Ben
02-24-2011, 08:29 PM
luna butte :

It might be worth you time to read this :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34058

stubshaft
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
The Lee pound through sizing die in 308 was the first one I ever used. Let me look around and see if I still have it, been over 30 years since I used it last...

luna butte
02-24-2011, 11:23 PM
hey thanks for the link! that was a real good read.

also, i appologize for my post sounding like a want ad, that was not my intent.

i have been studying your forum for quite a while and finally decided to take the plunge and sign up. today i slugged the barrel of my 9mm (EAA m88) it came to .355, am i correct in thinking i need a sizer at .356 or should i use them as cast @ .357? the mold i have been using is the "Lee 120grain TC"

JIMinPHX
02-25-2011, 02:00 AM
I would size to .356, but a lot of people shoot .002"over groove diameter. Try them as is (lubed of course) & see how they work. Just don't get too horny with the powder charge right out of the gate. Start at a published starting load & work up a little at a time. Raw boolits shoot very well in some guns.

Lead Fred
02-25-2011, 02:14 AM
I went to goodwill and bought two 9 inch cake pans for $2 bucks. Been using them like crazy. The Mrs just gave me a cookie sheet, which I even like better.
Thats my kit

dualsport
02-25-2011, 02:43 AM
Glad you jumped in. Now, go slow. Use published loading data from recognized sources, low end starting loads. What are the powders you got? That's a fantastic deal, BUT, realize it's at least possible the powder in the containers is not what's on the label. Unlikely, but possible. If it was me I'd only consider using any that the factory seal is still intact on the jug or can. The wrong charge of the wrong powder could kill you or at least ruin your day. Reloading is fun and safe, as long as we make it that way. Don't be shy about asking questions, you'll get plenty of help here.

Dean D.
02-25-2011, 04:49 AM
+1 dualsport, well said indeed.

nicholst55
02-25-2011, 07:49 AM
I say this because I have been there and done that; loading 9mm with a Lee Loader is more trouble than it's worth. That's how I got my start reloading - loading 9mm on a Lee Loader so I could shoot my WWII P-38. I also had a single cavity Lee bullet mold for it, and a Lee pan lube/sizer kit.

I strongly recommend that you save your pennies and buy a cheap reloading press and some 7/8-14 dies to use in it. You'll be glad that you did.

vacek
02-25-2011, 08:57 AM
While I have a full reloading setup (presses, molds, the Lee Sizer Lubricator die, trimmers etc.) I also have a large collection of Lee Loaders, the Lee Pan Based sizers lubricators. That reloading approach was slow and low volume but it certainly workks and works well. (1) It is a great way to start because you focus on the process and the quality instead of speed and quantity. (2) It is a good thing t have stashed if you do move on to a faster (notice I didn't said necessarily better) setup.

vacek
02-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Oh, I found my pan lubers on Ebay.

luna butte
02-25-2011, 02:27 PM
. What are the powders you got? That's a fantastic deal, BUT, realize it's at least possible the powder in the containers is not what's on the label. Unlikely, but possible. If it was me I'd only consider using any that the factory seal is still intact on the jug or can. The wrong charge of the wrong powder could kill you or at least ruin your day. Reloading is fun and safe, as long as we make it that way. Don't be shy about asking questions, you'll get plenty of help here.

the powders that i got were

1# Reloader 15 (questionable on the seal)
1# Win 760 (sealed)
1# Win 748 (sealed)
2# Bullseye (sealed though one of them is labled as Hercules & the other says Alliant)
1 opened Bullseye (Hercules)
1# H1000 (sealed)
1# H335 (sealed)
1# H4895 (sealed)
1# H4831SC (sealed)
1# H110 (sealed)
oh, 1# Hod pyrodex (thankfully i just got into muzzleblasting last year)

i think most of these are rifle powders but this is really the first time i have looked at them since i bought em a few weeks ago

i am still waiting for the 9mm lee loader to show up in the mail, though the 3030 lee loader is here

kinda funny, i have all the components to load my 9mm cept for the loader. and i have all the components to load my 3030 cept for the bullet mold. ha
dead in the water for a bit longer till one of these two items shows up. well i guess i still need the bullet sizers aswell.
i'm gettin there.

dualsport
02-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Wow. That's a lot of powder for $15! So far so good, seals intact is good. Here's what I'd do. Take some of the money I saved and buy; a reloading manual such as Lyman's, also the book "Propellant Profiles" from Wolfe Publishing. I checked my copy and it covers every powder on your list, with history, load info, a photo of what it looks like, and a physical description. Next I'd get an inexpensive single stage press from Lee(they are good tools, mine is old and works fine), and a set of Lee dies. The Lee Loaders are ok, I have many, but it grows old soon enough. With the Lee press you will also be able to use their push thru boolit sizing dies which are also cheap to buy. I also have a Tanfoglio made 9mm and love it, but it has a healthy appetite and feeding it with a Lee Loader is tough. If you want 'handy' or just have no place to mount a single stage press the 'Hand Press' from Lee works good and is also very low priced. With it you can size cases sitting in your easy chair. It's fine for most reloading jobs but no leverage compared to a bench mounted press. Of course if money is no object then there's lots of tools and toys you can invest in, but this will get you going for low dough.

Cowboy T
02-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Wow. That's a lot of powder for $15! So far so good, seals intact is good. Here's what I'd do. Take some of the money I saved and buy; a reloading manual such as Lyman's, also the book "Propellant Profiles" from Wolfe Publishing. I checked my copy and it covers every powder on your list, with history, load info, a photo of what it looks like, and a physical description. Next I'd get an inexpensive single stage press from Lee(they are good tools, mine is old and works fine), and a set of Lee dies. The Lee Loaders are ok, I have many, but it grows old soon enough. With the Lee press you will also be able to use their push thru boolit sizing dies which are also cheap to buy. I also have a Tanfoglio made 9mm and love it, but it has a healthy appetite and feeding it with a Lee Loader is tough. If you want 'handy' or just have no place to mount a single stage press the 'Hand Press' from Lee works good and is also very low priced. With it you can size cases sitting in your easy chair. It's fine for most reloading jobs but no leverage compared to a bench mounted press. Of course if money is no object then there's lots of tools and toys you can invest in, but this will get you going for low dough.

Here's what my cameralady, "Miss B.H.C.", used to get started. It's also the kit I used to get started.

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/basicreloading.html

Other than the RCBS 10-10 scale, which I admit is a bit of overkill, you shouldn't need to spend more than $200, total, including your tumbler, calipers, etc.

MtGun44
03-03-2011, 10:12 PM
If the groove diam is .355, you may do OK with .356, but many 9mms have very shallow
rifling, so you may need to go to .357.

Bill

Defcon-One
03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
I sent you an e-mail.

Get back to me if interested!

Pics sent .....

MikeS
03-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Oh, I found my pan lubers on Ebay.

I don't know if you were the person I was bidding against on eBay, or not, or if there were several, but I was looking thru eBay as I usually do (before I read this thread), and found a few sets of these pan lube kits, but they mostly all sold for much more than I think they're worth. I did find one set, for .38 Spec. / 357 Mag that the person buying the others either didn't see, or wasn't interested in it. I won that auction for $12.00, and while I'm not loading 38 Special yet, I plan to, as my mother has a Model 60 that I'm going to load with some really light loads so she can start shooting it and not shy away from it due to recoil.

Well, I got the lube sizer kit in today, and I made out like a bandit! This kit had the lube pan full, and had the pound thru sizer in .357 but was missing the kake cutter! But what it did have more than makes up for the missing cutter. Along with the .357 pound thru sizer was a .429 pound thru sizer (again, I'm not loading for .44 yet, but plan to for my daughter's Taurus revolver), and a .309 pound thru sizer! And the icing on the kake was that it also had a Lyman Ideal boolit sizer (for either the 310 handles, or tru-line jr. press) in .311!! I've been looking high and low for one of these, and this one has a 467 top punch (push bar) that fits my Lee C309-170-F boolits perfectly! Now once I get some gas checks I'll be able to seat them using this die, and the tru-line jr. press, so I'm a happy camper!

While the package came in yesterday's mail I was out most of the day, so didn't get to open it till today, and as yesterday was a fairly screwed up day (even tho it was my daughter's graduation day from the Art Institute with an associates degree in interior design), I'm hoping this is a sign that today will be a better day. I also got in the mail a Lee copy of the H&G #68 so I think I'll be doing some casting later on.

Ziptar
03-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I saw those too. I bid on the 452 set but, was outbid early. Near as I can tell the same guy bought them all those listed last week aside from the one you got, I saw it but wasn't interested.

Yeah they went for way more money that I thought they would, I guess a couple guys really wanted them. The 452 kit went for $26.00 + shipping, it was used and a mouse had eaten a big chunk of the lid and instructions and there was no lube stick.

The last one I bought was unused, complete with original lube stick in like new packaging. I paid $13.27 + shipping for it.

BTW: if anyone is looking, there is a used 429 kit out there now for $3.99 opening bid, 4 days left with no bids. looks like it comes with two sizers and two cookie cutters.

38fan
03-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Pan lube kit? I use alox on all my boolits. I size 357, 356. I dump a few in a plastic jar, add some alox, add more boolits, more alox, add lid and shake the the jar for about 5 minutes. Jar about 3/4 full. Then dump onto old plastic shopping bags.