PDA

View Full Version : hollowpoint vs flatpoint

smlekid
02-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi as a novice with lead boolits for hunting I was looking for some views on the difference in HP and FP boolits in a 44/40 for hunting
velocity will be around 1200-1300 with a 210gr flat point and a 230gr hollow point both cast with 50/50 ww pb with a little tin added the rifle will be used for pigs and goats up to 100y (give or take) will there be much difference beetwen the two (boolit weight I relise will make a difference)
I've never tried lead for hunting and am just looking for the better option

1Shirt
02-24-2011, 05:54 PM
It would be my opinion that the flat point will be your best bet at the vols that you list..
1Shirt!:coffee:

northmn
02-25-2011, 12:31 PM
With a 44-40 and the alloy you are using a HP may not be all that effective. Depends on the HP. For that type of hunting you might consider harder flat point bullets and shoulder shots as slow bullets do not do the same damage as HV jacketed. Also it seems that at about 44 caliber flat point bullets work OK even without a lot of expansion.

DP

smlekid
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
thanks for the replies the HP Boolit is a NOE 429421 the flatpoint a Lee 429-200-rf (I'm in the groupbuy for the noe 44/40 boolit the lee will do for the time being) looking at a ballistics program it would appear if I can launch these at 1300fps I will have about 1000fps at 100y
looks like I need to do some experiments on expansion
If I load some to 1000fps (muzzle velocity) to replicate 100y yards what would be a good meidium to shoot them into? wet phone books?
would it be worthwhile trying some 20/1 lead tin alloy with the hollowpoints?
just to clarify what the rifles will be used for I am involved with a culling program in National Parks here in Australia there are several places where the country is real thick and 50y is a long shot its for this kind of terrain I want to use this rifle
my biggest concern is wounded animals which we certainly don't want
the 44/40 is probably not the best choice of calibre and if I was buying a new rifle I would have went with a 44mag or 45LC but this Winchester came along at a verey good price so I went with it

Larry Gibson
02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
The 230 gr bullet will probably be the better whether it expands or not. Certainly if it expands (that alloy at that velocity will not "blow up" on the hide as some claim BTW) it will give quicke killing. If it doesn't expand it will be a little better simply because it is a little heavier.

Larry Gibson

DanWalker
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
The setup I have been using for a few years now is as follows:
I take two sections of phone books about an inch thick each, and soak them in water overnight.
I place one section in front of a milk jug full of water and the second section behind the jug, with no gaps between the jugs and the books before I shoot them. This roughly approximates the chest cavity of a deer or antelope. I've had VERY good correlation between boolit performance in this setup and in actual animals. Thick, solid masses of media can produce wonderfully mushroomed boolits which just punch holes in game when they are actually shot into critters.
I'm sure many here can point out any number of theoretical flaws in my approach. However, like I said, it has proven quite accurate for me.

Matthew 25
03-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Load them back to back and shoot him twice. Then let us know.

lonewelder
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Exactly what Mr.Gibson said.At min. you still got a 44cal hole.I've been thinking of useing my 44wcf this year too!

smlekid
03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
thanks guys I have had a few issues with the rifle but think I'm on top of them know it was misfiring like crazy I took the stock off and found a leaf type spring I was able to bend the steel support taht rides under the spring and it made a big difference hasn't FTF since then
the sights were also an issue on the highest setting it was shooting 6" low at 50y no matter what load I used
I also had some accuaracy issues it didn't shoot very well at all I found an article online about getting a Win '94 shooting better and tried some of the tricks I loosened up the barrel bands and shortened the mag end cap screw and it seems to be shooting a lot better
the NOE boolit won't feed through the mag when I seat it to the crimp groove it is about 1/8" to long I have been able to seat them to the front of the driving band and they feed fine I was thinking of shortening the stopper on the carrier and seating back the crimp groove I will have to do some load work and see if there is any noticable difference in accuracy at the 2 seating depths before I touch it
just for fun I shot a watermelon at about 5y with a 429421 at 1300fps it blew the melon to bits which was a bit of a surprise I didn't expect that to happen at that low a velocity