PDA

View Full Version : Another Wickliffe 76 sighting....

Harry O
02-24-2011, 02:34 PM
A few years ago, I ran across a Wickliffe rifle at a gunshow. It had three barrels with interrupted threads that could be changed quickly and easily. One was in .308, one was in .243, and I believe the last one was in 22-250. The person behind the table was asking $1,100 for it. It looked like a good deal.

Anyway, I picked it up and levered it open. Then, I could not close it. I handed it back to the guy and he stuck his finger inside the action, moved something, and then closed it. He also showed me how easily the barrels exchanged. I levered it open again. Could not close it again. I handed it back to the guy again. He stuck his finger inside the action again and closed it. I asked him to show me what he was doing inside the action, but he never got around to showing me. I was greatly tempted, but could not bring myself to buy a gun that I could not close the action on.

I just saw the same gun with the same three barrels on a gunshow table of a different guy. The price is now $1,550. It does not look like it has been fired since I saw it last. Not handled very much either. It's going up fast. I thought about seeing if they had ever fixed it so it would lever open AND lever closed, but decided against that. I think it was telling me not to buy it when I first handled it.

Anyway, I got a different single shot shortly after that first meeting.

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/harro/100-adopting-a-wildcat.html

Jack Stanley
02-24-2011, 04:12 PM
I really don't have a clue about how a Wickliffe works but I'd guess it had something to do with the extractor . The owner was just nudging it into place , had you been feeding it a cartridge you wouldn't have noticed it .

Only a guess .

Jack