PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down shotgun hull?

Punisher422
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Can you cut down 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge shells to 3 inch or 2 3/4 inch? I have a friend who has a lot of 3 1/2 inch shells he will give me but my Load-All II only goes to 3 inch. They will be shot out of a 870.

tonyjones
02-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Yes you can. Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading sell tools that will trim the length of shotshell hulls. However, you will still need to follow appropriate load data!!! Depending on which 3-1/2" hull you cut down you may create a shorter hull for which published, pressure tested load data does not exist.
Regards and be safe,
Tony

sargenv
02-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd be happy to trade you those 3.5" hulls for something you can load.. cutting 3.5" hulls seems like such a waste :)

Punisher422
02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I wish I had a press that was able to handle 3 1/2 because I would like to load up some turkey loads for him but have to work with what I have. After cutting down the hull would there be any trouble with getting it to crimp on my Load-All?

tonyjones
02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't try it with a Load-All. IIRC the Load-All has a fairly soft plastic crimp starter. Even if you skived the mouths oh the hulls you would likely end up with ugly crimps that may give feeding problems; not to mention subpar ballistics.

I'd take the gentleman up on his offer ans swap for something that will work better with what you have.
For what they cost the Load-Alls are ok. Versatile they are NOT!
Tony

shotman
02-24-2011, 08:09 PM
you will need a steel 6 pt starter and hair dryer to re set the crimp. You would be MUCH better off to make a trade. LOT less time

hk33ka1
02-24-2011, 11:53 PM
My Lee Load All II puts nice crimps on shells that have not been star crimped before (cut down hulls, and slug roll crimped hulls)

JIMinPHX
02-25-2011, 02:06 AM
This thread shows how I cut them down before roll crimping - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86712&page=3

I made up some aluminum plugs, so that I will get them all exactly the same. Consistent hull length is pretty important in getting good crimps, especially on something like a Lee Load All which doesn't have any length adjustment capabilities.

If somebody wants to trade you the length you need for the length you have, that is probably the better route to go.

robtorsol
05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
I'd be happy to trade you those 3.5" hulls for something you can load.. cutting 3.5" hulls seems like such a waste :)

hey i accidently bought a lot of 3 1/2 buck shots thinking they would fit my shot gun turns out they do not. so,.. if you want to trade for some 3" that would help me a ton. you can email me at rob.tor.sol@gmail.com