PDA

View Full Version : Attention Dillon Owners

TexRebel
02-23-2011, 07:40 PM
here is a new way to adjust your powder bars

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Texrebel_album/reloading/bW1jMS9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQS9TU1BYMDAxMy5qcGc.jpg

I made the mold from a block of wood, then filled it with hot glue over the adjustment bolt head, I used a 1 inch Forstner bit and drilled 1/2 inch deep. it would be prettier if the mold was metal, but wood works also

rmcc
02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Great idea!!! I am going to the shop right now.

TexRebel
02-23-2011, 10:24 PM
P.S. did I mention you need to remove the adjustment bolt from the powder bar :shock:

MikeACP
02-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Nice, I might have to something for my 550. Thanks

hunter64
02-24-2011, 09:01 AM
You can also go to home depot and in the small nuts and bolts section you can find a black or white flowerette knob that you simply push onto the 5/16th bolt head. Just put a dab of 5 min epoxy on the inside of the knob and push it on the bolt and good to go. They are about 3 bucks each. You can even draw a white or black arrow on the front to remind you which way to go to add more powder or subtract.

Home Depot part number is 222-840 made by Paulin.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/1964bigfoot/IMG_0844.jpg

jmorris
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
I use the plastic snap on one working up loads. Once I have everything where I want it, snap it off so everything stays put.

GARCIA
02-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Here is the link to the item:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202210196/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Makes life so much easier!!

Tom

Walter Laich
02-24-2011, 01:41 PM
I remember someone emailing Dillon and asking why they didn't put a knob on in the first place.

reply: they didn't what something that would 'invite' visitors to turn it as they walked by the owner's press. Sounds a bit fishy to me...

Sully
02-24-2011, 09:22 PM
You can also go to home depot and in the small nuts and bolts section you can find a black or white flowerette knob that you simply push onto the 5/16th bolt head. Just put a dab of 5 min epoxy on the inside of the knob and push it on the bolt and good to go. They are about 3 bucks each. You can even draw a white or black arrow on the front to remind you which way to go to add more powder or subtract.

Home Depot part number is 222-840 made by Paulin.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/1964bigfoot/IMG_0844.jpg

There must be at least 6 different styles of knobs to fit that charge bar for sale on E-bay. I know...I bought a set of blues ones that look like the knob in the pic. IIRC about $5 a pair

jmorris
02-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I remember someone emailing Dillon and asking why they didn't put a knob on in the first place.

reply: they didn't what something that would 'invite' visitors to turn it as they walked by the owner's press.

That is why I snap mine off once I have it set.

MtGun44
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Actually, Dillon's concern sounds resonable to me. Give somebody (a kid, for example) a knob and they
are likely to twiddle it. Could be VERY bad.

Bill

akajun
02-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Actually, Dillon's concern sounds resonable to me. Give somebody (a kid, for example) a knob and they
are likely to twiddle it. Could be VERY bad.

Bill

My kids, while young, know better than to fiddle with my reloading tools, much less enter my shop without me present. Besides if you are an experienced loader you should be quality checking you loads every primer tube recharge and every time you come back to your machine from leaving it you should check your settings anyway. If not you are asking for trouble.
I dont by Dillons excuse, I mean every powder measure on the face of the earth can be adjusted by hand.

7of7
02-25-2011, 01:34 AM
....if you are an experienced loader you should be quality checking you loads every primer tube recharge and every time you come back to your machine from leaving it you should check your settings anyway. If not you are asking for trouble. ...

I agree, setting and forgetting, is asking for trouble too. I end up adjusting mine, and then the next time I load, I end up adjusting some more.. the knobs just make it easier..
The only thing I don't like about the plastic ones, is they come off to easily... guess I need to glue them on...

Alvarez Kelly
02-25-2011, 01:44 AM
McMaster-Carr has the same knobs in black, gray, red or yellow for $4.75 for 10!

You want the 5/16 Rosette knobs. They work great! Search for "Press-Fit Plastic Thumb Screw Heads" or try searching by part number "94052A343." That is for the red ones. Shipping wasn't bad either. I think I got 20 delivered to my door for about $16! The following is a link to the correct web page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3081/=b6jnaa

If you have lots of powder measures or lots of friends with Dillon loaders, you can save a lot of money buying them in bulk!

jfg
02-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Am I the only person with these adjustment knobs from Dillon.
I have 4 Dillon press's w/6 Dillon measures and 3 have these knobs and extra powder bars with 1 and 1 spare knob by it's self, all came from Dillon.
But I don't see them listed with Dillon now.

Sully
02-25-2011, 10:56 AM
I have 4 Dillon press's w/6 Dillon measures and 3 have these knobs and extra powder bars with 1 and 1 spare knob by it's self, all came from Dillon.

If I had to guess...??? I'd say your a BIG fan of Dillon's..???...:mrgreen:

Alvarez Kelly
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM

Cool! I've seen LOTS of Dillon stuff over the years and NEVER have I seen those knobs. Very cool. How are they atached? Allen screw?

jfg
02-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Cool! I've seen LOTS of Dillon stuff over the years and NEVER have I seen those knobs. Very cool. How are they atached? Allen screw?

Instead of using a bolt, there is a stud with a nut, used as a lock nut for the knob, where the bolt head normally is. Also has a set screw in the knob, the knob just slides on the stud. I think the nut is just used as a spacer or stop.

Walter Laich
02-25-2011, 07:11 PM
They look like the knobs off of radio tuners and the like. Maybe Radio Shack (you need help?, we want to sell you a phone) would have something like them

jfg
02-25-2011, 07:36 PM
McMaster-Carr has the same knobs in black, gray, red or yellow for $4.75 for 10!

You want the 5/16 Rosette knobs. They work great! Search for "Press-Fit Plastic Thumb Screw Heads" or try searching by part number "94052A343." That is for the red ones. Shipping wasn't bad either. I think I got 20 delivered to my door for about $16! The following is a link to the correct web page.

If you have lots of powder measures or lots of friends with Dillon loaders, you can save a lot of money buying them in bulk!

By the way, all my powder measures that don't have the knobs I posted above, have 7/16" bolt heads, which is what most 1/4" bolts have.
These bolts are all 1/4" x 28 tpi.

Alvarez Kelly
02-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly

By the way, all my powder measures that don't have the knobs I posted above, have 7/16" bolt heads, which is what most 1/4" bolts have.
These bolts are all 1/4" x 28 tpi.

Don't let the whole 1/4 versus 5/16 thing confuse you. These rosette knobs have NO threads. They are designed to snap over the heads of caps screws. Cap screws had round heads and use an allen wrench to turn them. The parts I referenced are the correct ones for Dillon powder measures. I know. I have bought them and use them.

I have had this same discussion with many other folks. You can't find the right thread pitch because it doesn't matter.

If you want some cheap knobs to make adjusting the Dillon powder measures easier, order the ones from McMaster-Carr. If you don't, it's OK with me.

jfg
02-26-2011, 01:08 AM
I know what a cap screw is. You are absolutely right; I completely over looked “cap screw”.
What can I say, I was wrong.

btroj
02-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I just grab the nut and turn it. While a knob might make it easier I don't find it to be an issue.

Brad

AZ-Stew
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
There was another post on this six or eight months ago (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=35255). I got my plastic knob at Ace (or was it True Value) Hardware in a blue color that very well matches the Dillon paint color and is shaped like the black one in the photos, above. As I recall, it cost a couple of bucks.

Regards,

Stew

robertbank
03-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Been using these for years. They come in various forms all from Home Hardware. Dillon's excuse is rather lame IMHO. Might be just a statement from a counter clerk.

Take Care

Bob

pjh421
03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
What's the difference between a screw and a bolt?

Paul

robertbank
03-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Paul

Just a guess but one has a nut on the end. Maybe the term should be "bolt up" rather than "screw up".:mrgreen:

Take Care

Bob

Alvarez Kelly
03-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Paul

Are you referring to the cap screw statements? A "traditional" bolt has a hex head and a threaded section. A cap screw has a round head, which may have some knurling around it, and uses an allen wrench to turn it. It also has a threaded section.

The "Rosette" knobs lots of folks are referring to in this thread snap or press over the head of the existing bolt head.

I hope that helped!

By the way, I just ordered 20 more black ones and 20 red ones from McMaster-Carr. They are so cheap I'm giving them to all my Dillon loading buds!

See my entry above for the link to their page. $4.95 for 10 of them!

Willbird
03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I must have a really strong thumb and forefinger, because I just grab the bolt and turn it without a knob ?

Maj Dad
03-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I bought one of the brass knobbed bolts 8 or 10 years ago someone was selling on one of the forums - really well made, with numbered graduations. While the thread pitch and tolerances render it less than micrometer-accurate, it makes small adjustments a lot easier. Don't remember what I paid, but it wasn't much and it's another well-made widget of which one can be justifiably proud... [smilie=1: