PDA

View Full Version : Herd thinning

Beekeeper
02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I am thinking about (will eventually do) thinning down my herd.
The Kids have no interest in guns at all and thought I would sell some off to fund maybe a new gun purchase.
My problem is I do not know anyone that can give me a reaistic value on the ones I want to sell.I thought I would list them here and maybe someone could give me a ballpark figure on them.

All have been reworked and are all shootable and in good to excellent condition

Mosin 91/30

Steyr M95

71/84 Mauser (43 Mauser)

Jim

blaster
02-23-2011, 06:44 PM
$70-85

$150-170

$275-325

Respectively, unless there is something special about them. Depending what reworked means, maybe much less.

Lead Fred
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Parts Mosin 91/30 are going for over $100 here. Ive been looking for one. A good working one might fetch a tad more

Bulltipper
02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
I did my herd thinning last year, got rid of the "exotics"(read expensive to feed) and kept the 30 cal's 45's 22', 357's etc. made enough off my 10mm S+W 5910 to buy a star lubesizer and part of a dillon 550. Had to cull the herd to insure feed for the rest! I sold all my firearms on gunbroker.com. Also an excellent place to get current market values (auctions with bidders) good luck!

bkbville
02-26-2011, 02:15 PM
You can get 91/30's for $69 on-line; add $15-20 in shipping, C&R so no FFL

I think Gun Broker is overpriced substantially; pick a gun, do a search, and see how many have 0 bids on them...

Then, look at "last 30-days", and sort by #bids highest to lowest - to see what the real market value is.

(even then, check that the rifle actually sold - some of the reserves are so high they can get 20 bids and still not meet it...)

Some sellers get a premium because they have a good reputation - which I can understand if they are actually providing quality product.

JIMinPHX
02-27-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm thinning my herd too. I went to the gun show with a shotgun & an SKS so sell a week or two ago. The shotgun was sold before I even got through the gates. The SKS got a lot of looks, but no buyer. I'll probably go to next month's show with 3 guns to sell. I need to lighten my load.

the first two guns you listed sell for peanuts around here. The third one might bring a worthwhile price if you find the right guy, but that usually takes a while.

HiVelocity
02-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Why not just price your weapons at a reasonable price and post them here?

I know there's alot of guys who would give you a fair price for your weapons.

The only PITA is shipping them; still a good deal to great people here.

Just my $.02 worth........:drinks:

JIMinPHX
03-02-2011, 12:37 AM
I don't sell guns here on the board because I don't want to get involved in interstate paperwork. In AZ, we can just do cash & carry private sales at a gun show, face to face. I just need to confirm that the buyer is a AZ resident & old enough. An AZ driver's license takes care of that. If the person looks the least bit flaky, I also ask to see a CCW. That way I know that they can pass a background check. If the person looks more than the least bit flaky, then I just walk away even if they have a CCW. I don't sell a gun to anyone that doesn't give me the warm & fuzzys in a face to face meeting. I'm funny that way.

Beekeeper
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone,
After worrying about it and talking it over with SWMBO'd I am just going to keep and enjoy them and let the kids worry about it when I am gone.
The main reason I even wanted to thin was I wanted to get a couple of new toys without buying a new safe.
Now I get to have both.I am the luckiest guy in the world right now I guess.

Jim

Ernest
03-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Beekeeper.... Now you are singing my song. Happiness is having a new gun safe that must be filled. The kids will sort if out after wards. Or even better yet you can leave your collection to the NRA.

x101airborne
03-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Or, you could adopt me!! I love guns. DAD!