PDA

View Full Version : new rifle build

fabricator21
02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Looking for some opinion.
I am going to build a new bench rifle, mostly shot at 200 yard, but ocassionally out to 600.
It will be .22 cal (probably .223 AI) and on a savage action.
I am considering the savage target action but they are fairly expensive and would rather put the extra money toward glass. What would be a good factory donor action to start with and would the target action make a real difference in accuracy compared to a 10 or 12 action?

HollowPoint
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm in the process of gathering the parts for a similar build except that I'm going with the 308 chambering.

I'll be starting with a used Stevens 200 action. I can pick one up for under 300 locally. My budget is set at 800 dollars.

It will be a dedicated cast bullet shooter so I'm ordering a shilen 26" CM barrel with a 1 in 15 twist.

If my calculations are correct, that 800 bucks should be enough to cover everything I'll need including an action-wrench, go gauge and nut-wrench. I could rent these items for a little less but I wanted to have them on hand in case I decide to do more barrel swaps.

HollowPoint

CWME
02-25-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a target action. The other thing to consider into the cost is the trigger. The target action comes with the target trigger. You can adjust it down to 6-7 OZ vs 1.5-2 pounds.
That alone is worth at least a hundred dollars to sway the difference between the two actions. I forget what Sharp shooter charges for theirs. Anyway

Sounded like you are building a bench rest rifle. If that is what you want with top notch accuracy that is the way I would go VS a model 12 BVSS etc etc.

Used F-class rifles with the junk 6.5-284 factory barrels are going for around 900-1k. Great platform to work from.

I inletted the recoil lug area for bedding and skim bedded the action on mine. Add that to the factory pilar bedding and three action screws instead of 2 and you have a rock solid platform.

I have now ordered two Mcgowen Barrels from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply and have been very happy.

This package will give you a rifle that shoots as good as a 3-4k custom gun.

PatMarlin
03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
May also want to stay tuned fabricator21.

Bullshop Daniel and myself are going to be announcing a joint venture for a new 22 cal wildcat tuned for cast boolits. From scratch- starting with the chamber design to cartridge and boolit.

JesterGrin_1
03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
HollowPoint I put this up and maybe you missed it. But check with Academy Sports and Outdoors as they have the Stevens 200 in 7MM-08 and .270 Win on Sale for $179.95 brand new.

I picked the 7MM-08 up for my .358 Winchester build later on.

I'm in the process of gathering the parts for a similar build except that I'm going with the 308 chambering.

I'll be starting with a used Stevens 200 action. I can pick one up for under 300 locally. My budget is set at 800 dollars.

It will be a dedicated cast bullet shooter so I'm ordering a shilen 26" CM barrel with a 1 in 15 twist.

If my calculations are correct, that 800 bucks should be enough to cover everything I'll need including an action-wrench, go gauge and nut-wrench. I could rent these items for a little less but I wanted to have them on hand in case I decide to do more barrel swaps.

HollowPoint