PDA

View Full Version : Red dot vs traditional scope

gchapman1965
02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm interested in getting a scope for my 357, but don't know jack about pistol scopes. I'd like your opinions (pros and cons) of the red dot scopes vs the traditional pistol scopes. Most of my shooting will probably be targets/plinking but may do a little hunting with it from time to time.

Thanks,

Greg

98Redline
02-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I prefer the red dot type over a traditional scope for a couple of reasons.

1. The magnification of the scope shows more shake than the unmagnified image of the red dot. What this does for me is that I don't try to "drive the sight picture" as much, allowing the dot to float over the target. For me this tends to yield overall more consistent shooting with a lower tendancy for me to try to yank the crosshairs on target.

2. I can hit what I am aiming at with a 1X red dot out to about 100 yards. Beyond that I feel that I am moving into rifle territory and should be shouldering one of them instead of a pistol.

3. In a hunting situation, the red dot will show up in lower light, where the black crosshairs of the scope may fade out.

4. The red dots are normally lighter and don't change the balance of the gun as much as a magnified scope will.

These are just my personal feelings. I am sure that others will chime in with their opinions as well.

Jal5
02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Here is a whole other idea for you.

I was thinking about using a red dot on my 357 due to my ageing eyesight until I came across this fix. There's Clear2Target Sighting Discs which are static cling target eye discs:

http://www.clear2target.com/sighting-discs

Cheap and effective helping you to focus on the front sight by looking through a tiny hole in the plastic cling on discs. The only fault I found with them is they sometimes won't cling enough and slip off...grease or moisture on the glass lens I think. But they improved my groups significantly.

Just an alternative.

Joe

gchapman1965
02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
98Redline: Thanks for your input. Any brand or models that you've used that you would recommend I check out or that I stay away from?

Jal5: I've never seen those before. Definitely something to look into.

white eagle
02-23-2011, 02:52 PM
I put an Ultra Dot on my 44 mag
like a Timex takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
I like it and have been using it for quite some time now
I would recommend them

98Redline
02-23-2011, 11:43 PM
I will 2nd the UltraDot. Actually I went with the MatchDot.

I bought mine after asking around this forum as well. I have not been disappointed.

There are some others out there such as the Trijicon stuff, but they are mucho expensive.

kelbro
02-24-2011, 12:13 AM
I like the scopes for load development and the red dots for game.

Hippie44
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Well, I'm on the other side the fence. I tryed a scope then a Ultra Dot then back to a scope. I must of had a bad Ultra Dot because I could see better at low light with a Leupold 2x scope. They have pro's and con's, depends on what type of shooting or hunting you are doing. Not much help am I, Good Luck

Hickory
02-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I have been sing this sight on my
44 mag for 4-5 years and I love it.

Just put the dot on the deer and squeeze the trigger.

http://www.fototime.com/E29C5AA8CD9C79A/medium.jpg (http://www.fototime.com/pictinv/E29C5AA8CD9C79A)

btroj
02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I have used both. I like the ability of the red dot in low light. Had it on my Ruger 22 and tried it for squirrels. Not good at all. The dot was way too big for a small target, the sight was not clear enough to allow me to pick up a small target in shadows, and the dot was too bright even at its lowest setting so it tended to over power everything else in the view. Put my 2x scope on it and none of the same problems.
My dot was a late 80s era sight and my guess is that they are much better now. I just don't need another one as I don't shoot handguns with optics very much.

brad

bobthenailer
02-24-2011, 11:31 AM
In my opinion after useing red dots and scopes extensivley on handguns for 25 years in BE , action pistol , bowling pins , steel plates and general target shooting , plinking and hunting small & large game , I would recomend a red dot sight !!!!! a ultra dot is a good brand to buy !!
I personaly can shoot a red dot sight more accuratly off hand than a scope .

Whitworth
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Another vote for the Ultradot here. You can abuse them like there's no tomorrow and they just keep working.....

Win86
02-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I own two pistols with red dots; one has the Ultradot and one the Millet; both being terriific for paper punching and small game loads like gophers in Montana. These guns are 22lr and really fun to play with, both being Smith 41's they are accutate as all getout- For hunting though, I find them slow to get on-target sometimes so use the Gost Ring sites from Brownell's instead on two Ruger BH's in 45 Colt. Even with old eyes I find this rear site easy to shoot and quick to locate targets be it game or paper plus very accurate on the far end. Yhey fit right inplace of the Ruger sites, easy install. My friend has then on two Smith 44 mags and swears their the best 50-100 yd sites he has used for hunting whitails.

Win86

Shooter6br
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Hickory What sight is on 44 and what mount i Have a 42=1 657 and need a mount. Mine will need Tapped. Also guys. i have a cheap Tasco with 22 RF/ airgun mount on 747 airpistol. $36 Not like my Ultradot but for 22RF or airgun not bad at all .See Midway reviews

Shooter6br
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Pic of Tasco RED Dot with attached mounts,

Hickory
02-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Hickory What sight is on 44 and what mount i Have a 42=1 657 and need a mount. Mine will need Tapped. Also guys. i have a cheap Tasco with 22 RF/ airgun mount on 747 airpistol. $36 Not like my Ultradot but for 22RF or airgun not bad at all .See Midway reviews

It's a Tru-Glo sight.
I'd rather have a Burris,
Because it had an on/off switch.

Dale53
02-24-2011, 06:58 PM
First of all, you can do EXCELLENT work on paper and game with EITHER. I started out with scopes simply because there were no suitable Red Dot Sights.

About three years ago, a good friend suggested I might want to try a Red Dot Sight on my target revolvers. I now have about eight of them of three different brands.

I bought several of the 1" Bushnell Red Dots and they have been quite satisfactory. Then I discovered the Simmons 30mm Red Dots with four different reticules. Pretty dern neat. I talked to the Simmons techs at the NRA Convention in Louisville and learned that the Simmons sights will work quite well up to and including the .44 Magnum. However, they will not stand up to the "heavy hitters" like the .454 Casull. Surprisingly they stated that mounting them on a 1911 .45 ACP slide was NO problem whatsoever (the slamming back and forth apparently presents NO problems, contrary to what you might think).

Ultra Dot is the brand you want to use on your heavy hitters. Again, I prefer the 30mm size as they have a wider field of view (easier to find the hole when hunting or using for action sports).

I still have a couple or three scoped handguns but have become a strong advocate of Red Dot Sights. The serious NRA Bullseye shooters have been using Red Dot sights with success for some time. If you have vision problems (I do) then the Red Dot sight just may be the sight for you. It certainly is for me. These two pictures show a big advantage in size for the Red Dot (it's the smaller one - they are mounted on the same S&W Model 16-4 revolver in .32 H&R Magnum:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/SWMod16-432HRMag-9539.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/4DalesPistolsRevolversSelects-3322.jpg

Dale53

Shooter6br
02-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Dale what mounts do you use?

Dale53
02-24-2011, 07:18 PM
The mounts shown in the picture of the 16-4 is an old Burris "no drill" mount. I have had good luck with it on the light recoiling .32 H&R. However, I would NOT recommend it these days - with heavier recoiling revolvers I wouldn't trust it. Further, it may mark the finish on your revolver.

I now recommend, without reservation, a Jack Weigand Scope Mount:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0371.jpg

These require that the revolver be drilled and tapped (modern S&W's come drilled and tapped for these mounts) but will withstand the heaviest recoil. Further, they are attractive in appearance, reasonably priced and come in silver or blue:

http://jackweigand.com/

CDNN used to have a similar mount at a reasonable price but no longer carry it.

Dale53

Shooter6br
02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks may put weaver no drill on Blackhave 327 fed. I dont shoot heavy loads with it. May have to have my 657 tapped

Char-Gar
02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I am sold on Red Dot sights on handguns!!

gchapman1965
02-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all of your opinions and input. Now if I can just get my hands on some to look at. If anyone would happen to of upgraded their scope and still have the old one and be willing to sell it, PM me.

Thanks

DCM
02-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I have more Aimpoints than most people would believe and have had one for over 20 years.
I have had a ZERO failure rate in that time which is the main reason I own so many.

Some are 2x, some are 1x, various dot sizes for different applications and one is the new micro.

They work best as scout mounts on long arms, as this provides the greatest field of view.

Midway has/had one of the micros on sale recently.

If anyone uses the T-1 Micro be sure to tighten the heck out of the battery cap as the seals prevent the battery from making a good connection if you don't.:shock:

odis
02-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Anybody have any suggestions on where to buy an Ultra Dot?

fecmech
02-25-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.eabco.com/ultradot.html

Dale53
02-25-2011, 01:34 PM
NOTE:
The GOOD mounts use a positive recoil lug (in the case of the Weigand base, the sight cut out) instead of relying on the screws shear strength. Relying on screws, only, is a BAD idea. 6x48 screws have little shear strength (they are so small in diameter, that by the time the threads are cut, there is nothing left). A good mount just relies on the screws to hold the mould in place while all thrust is taken up by the positive recoil lug.

Dale53

Char-Gar
02-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I have a Brurris Speed Dot and a Tasco Pro-Point. Both have given excellent service.

fecmech
02-25-2011, 06:28 PM
NOTE:
The GOOD mounts use a positive recoil lug (in the case of the Weigand base, the sight cut out) instead of relying on the screws shear strength. Relying on screws, only, is a BAD idea. 6x48 screws have little shear strength (they are so small in diameter, that by the time the threads are cut, there is nothing left). A good mount just relies on the screws to hold the mould in place while all thrust is taken up by the positive recoil lug.

Dale53

Amen to that. When I first got my Weigand base for my Super BH .44 mag I "glued " it on with Pro Seal (an aircraft caulking compound about the consistency of tire rubber) and put a cheapy Red dot on it for a test. I shot a box or two of 429421/25/296 out of it for kicks, the mount never moved. I then tore it off with a pair of padded channel locks and D&T'd the top strap. As you said the screws just hold the mount down, no real load on them.

BOOM BOOM
02-27-2011, 12:49 AM
HI,
The holosight is an option you should consider.
I now have 2, helps my failing eyes.