PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka carbine help

Nora
02-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I traded a guy a Romanian .22 for "some kind of Jap gun" that was "missing some of the bolt parts" sight unseen. Picked it up today and turned out to be a matching #'s Type 44 carbine with the firing pin, main spring, and cocking knob missing but surprisingly still having the dust cover. I know next to nothing of these rifles other than it's a 6.5 x 50mm and they were made in Japan. :roll: Could any one please shed some lite on their history or importance to the Japanese military. Also Gun Part has the bolt parts in stock for the Type 38. Are these (hopefully) by any chance interchangeable with the Type 44? Haven't cleaned it up yet, but the barrel looks to be in pretty good shape, no pitting just dirty. Any help I could get would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nora

madsenshooter
02-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Yes the bolt parts will come close to interchanging. I say close, not because the parts are different, but you sometimes can't even swap the bolt bodies between one and another. Fit wasn't quite up to full interchangeability. Here's where some folks dwell that can answer your questions, not that aren't some here that can. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Firearms-Of-The-Rising-Sun

Combat Diver
02-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Small bit of info here.
http://world.guns.ru/rifle/repeating-rifle/jap/arisaka-3-and-99-e.html

CD

frkelly74
02-23-2011, 06:36 AM
That is just cool! I have seen the 44's in various stages of disrepair and sporterization that people wanted an arm or leg for. You potentially have a winner there. Congratulations are in order!

3006guns
02-23-2011, 07:54 AM
The mum still on the receiver makes it worthwhile all by itself. You got a good deal. There are three variations of the type 44 carbine if I recall, all based on a difference in the nosecaps....otherwise the guns are pretty much identical. If that's the muzzle cap in one photo, you got an EXCEPTIONALLY good deal!

By the way, try this........hold the gun by the wrist with one hand and place your index finger on the muzzle. Now move your finger and the muzzle will follow along. It's free floating!

The action is a standard type 38 so bolt parts should fit, with perhaps a minor amount of fuss.