PDA

View Full Version : Which cast size works best in 30-30?

wallacem
02-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I need some quick help. I am about to try a new contest at the local shooting club. We will be shooting lever action rifles with cast bullets at 100 and 150 yards, iron sights. My question, I have a Winchester Ranger AE 30-30, and a Marlin 336. Tell me which weight bullet seems to group the best in a 30-30 at distance, and which, between the Winchester and Marlin, seems to group the best with cast bullets. i am trying to draw from the vast knowledge here that has already been tried and proven. I will need at least 170 gr trying to knock over a steel plate. Thanks in advance. Wallacem in Ga

felix
02-22-2011, 12:38 PM
It seems to me that 170-180 grainers are about right for your boolit purpose(s). Use 150 grainer condoms. ... felix

northmn
02-22-2011, 12:41 PM
One bullet that a few really like in the 30-30 is the one cast from the RCBS 180 FP mold. Some claim it will actually drop at very close to 190 grains. Some round nose bullets will also work. For steel shooting I would suggest using a WW or similar alloy and water harden the bullets. Microgroove Marlins are supposed to like a 310 sized bullet and a Winchester will shoot them well. The water hardening to me is the ideal thing for waht you want as they can be hardened to a higher level than linotype or "hardcast" and weigh more. If you can get a mold close to the 310 specs in drop you can drop the bullets in water when you cast them and shoot as cast.
I am going to irritate a few Marlin fans but the Winchester will be easier to find a load for while the microgroove may take a little more work. That being said the Marlin might be the most accurate once it is worked up. I found the 30-30 Winchesters to be very versatile in cast bullet loads from light target loads to full power loads. Marlins can be made to shoot very well also. My 30-30 Marlin has Ballard rifling and will shoot about anything cast.

DP

Char-Gar
02-22-2011, 01:27 PM
My choice is always the Marlin, but most likely it will require a different bullet than the Winchester. IMHO the Marlins will shade the Winchesters a hair in accuracy. I have extensive 30-30 experience in both makes. Without a long winded explanation why, here are my choices.

1. Winchester - 311291 or 311041 - Both are 170 grainers.
2. Marlin - 305 - It is the fat version of their 180 grain 30-30 bullet and is the best off the shelf mold for Marlin Microgroove barrels I know of. Yes, I know it is listed as a 31 caliber mold.

I would size the bullets .311 if the rifle will chamber the loads easy. If not, then .310.

6pt-sika
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Lets see I used the Lyman 311041 FN and the HP with very good results ! The RCBS 30-150 and 30-180 with good results , the Saeco 150 with good results and probably the best for me was the Ranch Dog 311-165GC . All of these mentioned were gas check molds . And all were run thru a .312" sizing die and lubed with Thompson's Blue Angel . I probably shot the Ranch Dog bullet most and the Lyman 311041 FN second most . Shot them both quite a bit on lever action silhouettes and used the Lyman bullet to kill a deer or three .