PDA

View Full Version : 6.3 magnitude earthquake in NZ

Von Gruff
02-21-2011, 11:25 PM
JeffinNZ are you okay.
There has been another massive 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Christchurch NZ. There have unfortunately been multiple fatalities this time but with unknown numbers as yet. People are trapped in buildings. Centre of the city is being evacuated including hospitals etc. Will update later but thoughts go to those in Christchurch.

Von Gruff.

Dean D.
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up Von Gruff. Thoughts and prayers going out to everyone in the Christchurch area.

LatheRunner
02-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Christchurch NZ is in our prayers.

Von Gruff
02-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Have heard that 80% of the city is without power, and 8 of the 10 cell phone towers are gone. The military was doing exercises there at the time and have gone in to secure and search with the police as the S&R teams get mobilised with teams from AU on the way. Just watching 25 people trapped on the 17th floor of a building with no way down and the atteampts to rescue them via large crane with cage.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff
02-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Just had the Prime Minister announce that 65 confirmed dead so far.

Von Gruff.

MakeMineA10mm
02-22-2011, 02:04 AM
JeffinNZ are you okay.
There has been another massive 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Christchurch NZ. There have unfortunately been multiple fatalities this time but with unknown numbers as yet. People are trapped in buildings. Centre of the city is being evacuated including hospitals etc. Will update later but thoughts go to those in Christchurch.

Von Gruff.

You know, it's funny how we define community sometimes, isn't it? I feel like I belong to a community here, and just as you probably thought Von Gruff, the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about this was: "Boy, I sure hope Jeff, and our other friends at CB from New Zealand are OK!"

Prayers for Jeff, and all our Kiwi friends who are having a tough time of it right now!

Bigjohn
02-22-2011, 02:09 AM
You know, it's funny how we define community sometimes, isn't it? I feel like I belong to a community here, and just as you probably thought Von Gruff, the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about this was: "Boy, I sure hope Jeff, and our other friends at CB from New Zealand are OK!"

Prayers for Jeff, and all our Kiwi friends who are having a tough time of it right now!

I first heard of this at about 11 a.m. my time and my first thoughts were for our CB family members but know they extend to all our Kiwi family.

Euan
02-22-2011, 02:26 AM
JeffinNZ are you okay.

Von Gruff.

Well Guys, Good News.
I have just heard from Jeff. Jeff and his family are ok. He said in his message that the central city coped the worst of it.
Cheers Euan

Dean D.
02-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the good news Euan. Please pass on our best wishes to Jeff if you can. I can assure you we have all been worried about his, our other members and all your countrymen's welfare.

Von Gruff
02-22-2011, 02:32 AM

That is a hell of a statement and shows that comunity and brotherhood can cross boundaries. This forum does indeed make a comunity of us that is personal beyond the mere sharing of experience and expertise.
I know Jeff works out at the airport which was closed except for emergency flights, so hopefully there wasn't the damage out there that happened in the CBD and over the hill in Lyttleton. Lots of smaller comunities that havent been heard from as yet. Going to be tough going for a few days till the extent of loss is known.

Edited to add. Just saw your post Euan so pleased to hear Jeff is okay.

Von Gruff.

JeffinNZ
02-22-2011, 02:44 AM
Thanks guys. Back on line now. Have posted in the 'off topic' thread also. Just had another aftershock while typing. We are fine. The city is not. VERY, VERY bad.

jmsj
02-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Will keep New Zealand in our prayers.
Stay safe guys.
Good luck, jmsj

wallenba
02-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys. Back on line now. Have posted in the 'off topic' thread also. Just had another aftershock while typing. We are fine. The city is not. VERY, VERY bad.
Glad to hear you are fine. Many prayers for your countrymen.

firefly1957
02-22-2011, 09:47 AM
I am sending my prays along also. I saw some news footage on the news this morning it looks real bad.

wallenba
02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
303Guy...are you OK? Am not sure where you are in NZ.

old turtle
02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
My heart and prayers go out to all of the people in New Zealand. Having discussed casting and had contact with shooters in New Zealand through this site really brings this tragic event home. May God bless all

fishnbob
02-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Our prayers are with you NZ'ers. Thanks for the updates from you guys. Keep us posted.

LIMPINGJ
02-22-2011, 10:24 AM
I just heard about this and my thought was how are our NZ friends. Glad to see some of our NZ friends post replies that they are OK. Prayers go out to all the families affected by this.

Three44s
02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Just getting detailed footage on Fox News and the images are INCREDIBLE!!

Thoughts and prayers to all folks in NZ

.................. and in particular in Christchurch from a VERY BAD natural disaster that has taken many lives!!

Three 44s

Jim
02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Jeff,
So glad to hear from you, buddy! When we got the news, the "pucker factor" went to three digit levels!
Keep us posted on the others and let us know what the news doesn't.

Jim in Floyd, Va.

Jim
02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Jeff,
So glad to hear from you, buddy! When we got the news, the "pucker factor" went to three digit levels!
Keep us posted on the others and let us know what the news doesn't.

Jim in Floyd, Va.

blackthorn
02-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I saw some of the footage on the 11 o'clock news last night and it looks really bad! Our thoughts and prayers are for all New Zealanders, but especially for those still trapped in the rubble!May God see fit to see them safely out.

gray wolf
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
No TV here, so I got the news from the forum. My prayers to all of you in this time of need.
This forum takes away all boundaries and time zones.
I pray all the folks I know and those I don't know will come through this.

Sam
In frozen Maine

oldhickory
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
God bless, Kiwi's.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Awhile ago we had one of the missionaries who we supported who was working in NZ stop by, and he brought three young Kiwi's, they used this poster to sing to and help our children to learn the scripture song. My wife photo copied it, and turned it into a placemat to remind us to pray for them.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/KiwiPlacemat.jpg

I also do not have TV, but I know how to pray!

9.3X62AL
02-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Good to hear from our Kiwi Casters, indeed. Living in earthquake country, Californians can relate to these events closely.

thegreatdane
02-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Glad to hear Jeff in NZ is OK. I heard about the quake this morning and immediately thought of him.

This is one tight community

clodhopper
02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
My first thougt was the NZ guys who tell us about their experiments and adventures on cast boolits, take care of your family and neighbors.

6.5 mike
02-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Heard about this when I got up this morning, like many others my thoughts were for our kiwi friends, good to know everyones ok. Being from kommiforna I know all to well what this feels like. Just ride them out & go from there, :shock:, bout all you can do.

leadman
02-23-2011, 12:17 AM
303Guy posted on another thread that he was ok yesterday. Glad our NZ members are ok, but saddened so many lost their lives.
Watched a video this morning and it is BAD!

patsher
02-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Last night my husband heard on the news that there had been a bad earthquake in Christchurch NZ, and the first thing that shot through my mind was all our caster friends in NZ, and next was my prayers for you all. I think Paul was surprised that there are so many people on this forum from so many countries -- really does redefine FAMILY, doesn't it! Please know that you are in our prayers and that you will continue to be...

Pat

TDB9901
02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Glad Jeff and Family are OK.

My first thoughts when hearing of the quake was of him, and those purple longjohns.