PDA

View Full Version : Place to set up chrony in Salt Lake City

Saint
02-21-2011, 10:52 PM
I was hoping some of the members in the Salt Lake City, Utah area might know of some ranges that would allow me to setup my chrony, I have been told that Lee Kay doesn't allow them however I recall reading something out there asking people using them to shoot on an end bench, anyone have any firsthand experience? I need to do some testing of both 9mm and 30-06. I know our range options are somewhat limited so if anyone knows a good area just out of town that would work as well, thanks for any help.

Patman
02-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Saint... The Bountiful Lions Rifle Club allows Chronys and they are open 7 days a week. You might also try Wahsatch Shooters Association located in Davis County. They also allow chronys. They are on winter hours currently and are open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on friday and Saturday. Good Luck .
Pat

btroj
02-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I must be lucky to belong to clubs that don't have a problem with chronographs. Never heard of such a thing.

Brad

dragonrider
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Out of curiosity why would some clubs not allow crony's????

Patman
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Unknown as to why some ranges don't allow chronys, I have never been to one that didn't.

jj850
02-25-2011, 09:55 PM
The rifle range at the lee kay center drops 6-8 feet right in front of the benches. The stands for a crony would have to be 8-10 feet tall. Thay also get reel excited about anyone in front of the fireing line even just picking up brass that rolls off the front of the bench.

geargnasher
02-25-2011, 11:24 PM
My local range has no issue with chronographs, but the firing line is loosely monitored from the clubhouse. If you're being safe and not tee-ing anyone off by holding up their fire screwing with the thing, it's a non-issue. I would think the danger of someone focusing on a chronograph issue and forgetting where they are could pose a risk of a spontaneous trip in front of the firing line, and that would be reason enough for some clubs to have issue with it.

It might be worth asking a club if they will allow a 'special session' with your chrony for an extra few bucks.

Gear

jmsj
02-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Saint,
It has been 20 years since I lived in Utah. I really liked the Lee-Kay range, spent many afternoons shooting there.
Have you thought about trying to go shoot west of Salt Lake City out on the salt flats?
We used to go shoot out past the Morton Salt plant. The year that I lived near Salt Lake, there were a lot of jackrabbits around. A friend and I would go out and practice running shots on them. While shooting jackrabbits we spooked up one of the biggest antlered Mule deer I have ever seen.
If you go stay on the established roads, there are some places where the crust can be thin. I know because one time we thought we would cut across the salt flats on the way home and my jeep fell through the crust. Luckily another hunter came by and we were able to pull the jeep out.
Good luck, jmsj

jmsj
02-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Saint,
I got interuppted during my reply by a phone survey asking how pleased I was w/ the current President of the U.S. I got a little ranting done.
I forgot to mention that you used to rarely see anyone else out there so there won't be anyone to complain. Also there were some natural berms to use as a backstop.
This was twenty years ago so I don't know if this still holds true.
jmsj

thx997303
02-26-2011, 03:37 AM
You could always head out to the west side of Utah Lake.

Plenty of free shooting range out there.

Saint
02-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I finally got the chrony set up and did some testing, no matter what I did i could not get any reading at all. I had heard of the back side of Utah Lake previously so I went out there the day after my first post, I was thinking it was a lighting issue so I took it home and tried to run some tests on it there, I could only figure that there was something wrong with it, I had the indoor lighting kit set up and I tested airgun pellets, arrows, and even a softair gun and no matter what it would not read, I know that some of the shots were lined up perfectly and the only thing i can conclude is it was defective, anyway I took it back to Cabelas and got a refund which I promptly turned around and put towards my new Ruger Super Blackhawk, thanks for all of the suggestions though, I will keep them in mind as I will probably buy another chrony in the near future. Also in case this becomes relevant it was a Beta shooting chrony.

MoldyJoe
02-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Saint,
Sadly the places to shoot are getting further and further away. I have had good luck going West on I 80 Just past the Grantsville exit you will see a hill side that comes almost to the interstate on the South side. Take the next exit past it and come back to the west side of that hill side. Another option is South of Tooele, but you have to go quite a ways to avoid the "4 wheeler preserve" as it is a no shooting zone. Just go south on Redwood Rd to Lehi and west to the "Y" then South. It seems like forever to drive, but SL County is a no shooting county outside of a designated range. I wish I knew somewhere closer, but the West side of Utah lake is slowly being overcome by "civilization" as well. I remember hunting pheasants in the middle of Worst Valley, back when it was Granger. Good luck, Joe