PDA

View Full Version : Update on Lee collet die

singleshotbuff
11-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Gentlemen,

As I said a couple threads down, I bought a Lee collet die for my 8X57mm (Yugo M48 Mauser) and found it didn't give sufficient neck tension with Jword bullets. As previously mentioned I ordered an undersized mandrel from Lee yesterday.

I had already sized 20 cases with the die before I realized the neck tension issue, I had also primed them. Not wanting to deprime these cases, I decided to go ahead and shoot them anyway. I figured I'd have to single load them, I was sure running them through the mag would shove the bullets deeper in the cases.

I loaded them with 38grs of Yugo military surplus powder (that I pull down myself) and pulled down 198gr FMJ BT bullets (from the same ammo). This is a mid to light load that I use for plinking and offhand practice. It usually groups 1.75-2.00" from sandbags at 50 yards, using f/l or partial sized cases.

This same load, single loaded into the chamber, with collet sized cases with VERY little neck tension, gaveraged 1.3" for 4 groups today!! If I toss out the largest group, which I think was my fault due to horizontal stringing, the average was 1.1"!!

WOW! I realize 4 groups do not a test make, but I plan to try more tomorrow. I can't wait to retest this load when my undersized mandrel arrives. I also think I'll try some cases sized with my current mandrel and a better component set. I have some Rem 185gr SP bullets and some IMR-4320 that group better than my pulldown components in partial sized cases. This will be my next test tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

I guess my point is, you never know until you shoot it!

SSB

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-21-2006, 05:07 PM
You sure don't know until you shoot it. Sounds like you hit the accuracy jackpot, assuming the rounds don't have issues feeding.

Regards,

Dave

Bret4207
11-25-2006, 09:39 AM
I had great accuracy with my unissued Yugo M-48 8mm and the 8MM Karibiner boolit. Better eyes would help too.

Don't toss the original parts from the collet die. Not enough neck tension with jacketed amy translate to near perfect tension with cast. Jacketed wants a slightly undersize neck to hold that bullet. Cast wants as big as you can stand and not have the boolits fall out. Less neck tension means less distortion of the soft lead boolit. You sound to have a good setup.

The above is a simplification of the issue guys, so don't flame me too much.

gregg
11-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Thank you . intresting