PDA

View Full Version : Lee v. Redding...

plain old dave
02-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I see a lot of people put stock in Redding dies and equipment around here, and am honestly curious as to what Redding gear will do that Lee gear won't. I have both Redding and Lee .30-40 Krag dies and near as I can tell they both make high quality ammo; I can't tell any accuracy difference. Durability, I haven't had 'em long enough to tell yet, but I will say this: I roll as much if not more Krag ammo in my Lee Hammer Loader than in a press and after 10 years of near-consistent use it shows NO wear. I can get 3 sets of Lee dies for what Redding wants for one, but is there any real difference between Lee and Redding other than price?

felix
02-21-2011, 02:04 PM
The die materials and machining are about the same for all practical purposes. The question you should be asking is about the fit of the resulting case dimensions for the one gun to be reloaded. ... felix

Boolseye
02-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Redding makes a darn good powder measure. I don't own any of their dies–lotsa Lee, a few Hornady and an old set of Pacifics. I think Lee has some good products and some questionable ones. I just mix and match with all the companies, and go a product at a time.

Char-Gar
02-21-2011, 03:00 PM
95% of the folks who reload will be very satisfied with Lee dies and the ammo they produce. The rest will want Redding and other top end dies, for the reason cited by Felix and others.

sundog
02-21-2011, 03:20 PM
I have some Redding dies (and other 'colors', too) and other Redding products. Good quality. The dies I have were specifically gotten for particular purposes, such as the neck size die for 7.5 Swiss. Otherwise, Lee dies are quite satisfactory for most loading chores.

onondaga
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
I like that replacement parts are so quick to get if needed from Lee and the cost of other manufacturers simple parts sometimes are higher than a new Lee die complete.

The powder through expander dies included for so many calibers are great for cast bullet reloading. Even the universal case mouth expander die is great and custom expanders for sizing dies are really cheap too from Lee.

I just got a Lee die set for 7.62X39 for my new single shot Spartan rifle and the die set included 2 expanders with the sizer die to my surprise and the larger one is perfect for my cast bullets. A Factory crimp die was also included in the set.

I have a couple sets of RCBS dies and I can feel the difference with a dental explorer that the Lee sizer dies have a finer finish inside.

Gary

plain old dave
02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
The question you should be asking is about the fit of the resulting case dimensions for the one gun to be reloaded. ... felix

Never had a chambering problem with either in the trusty ol' Krag. I would think that both would be made to the same SAAMI spec?

02-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Don't have any Redding dies, but like their quality and neck sizing concept.

Had a bunch of Lee handgun dies but they were swaging down my fat boolits. I sold them and now use Lyman, RCBS and Hornady, and have not had a single swaging problem.

For rifle cartridges, I use Lee neck sizing dies, Lyman Precision Alignment seating dies, and a Lee crimp die for .30-30. I have Lyman, RCBS, Hornady and Lee full length dies, though, for the last couple years, they've just been sitting all by themselves, lonely and unused.

AZ-Stew
02-21-2011, 09:05 PM
I have at least 27 RCBS rifle die sets, and one Lee set (8mm Mauser that I haven't used yet). A year or so ago I had need to replace my RCBS .223 die set due to a problem with sticking cases in the sizer. I've since sent the sizer back to RCBS and they apparently refinished the interior, and the die set now belongs to my son. The die was not scratched or gouged, it was, in my opinion worn and polished to the point where two smooth surfaces (die and brass) under pressure against each other simply stuck together. Regardless, the die works fine now.

I replaced the set with a set from Forster, which I consider about half way between RCBS and Redding in quality. If I could afford it, I'd replace ALL my RCBS with Forster. Most folks here know the difference between a premium tool and one that'll get you by. I can easily FEEL the difference in quality between the RCBS dies I've used for 35+ years and the new Forster. When I get my new barreled action back from the gunsmith, I'll buy a set of Redding bushing dies for it. The neck sizer and seater are both micrometer adjustable and the set comes with a full-length sizer to refurbish many-times-fired cases. Lee has nothing like this: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0007658317

I'm not saying Lee makes sub-standard dies. Sounds like many folks are quite satisfied with them. Rather Lee makes a quality product, but Redding makes the premium product with which you can actually feel the difference when using them.

One man's opinion.

Regards,

Stew

Calamity Jake
02-22-2011, 09:18 AM
I use very few of the Lee loading tools, just gotten too many bad tools from them.

I really like the Redding bushing neck size dies, have them in severial calibers.

pdawg_shooter
02-22-2011, 09:20 AM
A '65 F100 will get you to work just as well as a Lincoln Navigator, but the Lincoln will give you more bragging rights. I have most all brands of dies and the Lees load just as good ammo, if not better, than any. The Lee collet die set produces the most accurate ammo of any I have, at a fraction of the cost of the big boys sets.

Larry Gibson
02-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I use Lee dies and tools, RCBS dies and tools, Hornady dies and tools, etc. I use the one that will do the job at hand the best. In a rifle/handgun that has the ability to tell the difference in accuracy with precise loads the quality of the die and what it does can very well make a big difference. I don't believe you'll find very many standard Lee dies used by the top shooters of any sprt where accuracy with handloads is needed. The Lee collet die is very good but it is not as good as their old target loaders nor is it as precise or versitile as a Redding bushing die with several bushings or as with other precision made loading dies. In some cases you do get what you pay for.

Again, let me state that I do use Lee dies (Standard, collet and Lee loaders) and find them quite seviceable for a lot of shooting. As also stated I also use a lot of other makes also.

Larry Gibson

Doc Highwall
02-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I have RCBS, Lyman, Forster, Dillon, LEE and Redding. The Redding and Forster with the sliding chamber on their seating dies are the best. The Redding bushing dies are great also and RCBS is even making them. I have Redding bushing dies that full length size and ones that only neck size and the bushings are a standard item not something special order.

cajun shooter
02-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I still have the 38 spl loading kit by Lee that I purchased in 1968. It is the one that you hammer everything in and set off primers to often for the wife. They do last but if you ever decide to get into serious rifle or pistol competition then the Lee dies will not do the job. Larry Gibson is dead on with his posting as is Doc Highwall. I shoot the 44-40 in SASS competition and use the RCBS Cowboy Dies. I tried the Lee FCD and was not happy with the results. I seat and crimp in separate stages with both rifle and handgun calibers. About two months ago I was reading about the Redding Profile Crimp Die and decided to try one. I have used Redding dies in the past and they are of high quality. This die is no different and gives the best looking crimp that I have seen on a 44-40 case. The sizing ring on the Lee carbide dies is very small and they are different in other area's as well. Lee Precision sells some good and some bad loading tools. They are priced to where the average man can get a start in reloading and casting at a reduced price. They are no different than other low priced tools. The quality and life is not always the best.

CWME
02-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Interesting thread so far. I run RCBS, Redding, and most recently Forster dies. I do have some of the Lee Factory crimp dies. Anyway

It sounds like If you were to take all things bench rest out of the equation the Lee dies would be a good option vs the standard offerings from other companies.

I will put in a plug for Forster now. Running a bench rest set of dies for 6BR with exceptional results.

Doc Highwall
02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I use and have been modifying the Forster bench-rest dies for case neck expander's

leadman
02-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I have had a few Lee dies that had the bleed hole drilled in the wrong spot and gouged the neck. Also the shellholder for the 43 Mauser is a real piece of c***. First one broke before I sized the first case. Second one broke after 2 or 3 cases. I bought an RCBS.

I really like Hornady seaters and their sizers do a good job also.

Redding has produced the ammo with the least bullet run-out for me. Some of the Lee loaded ammo had up to .007" runout. same cases loaded with Redding were in the .001" to .002" runout.

roaddog1m
02-23-2011, 12:53 AM
I used to turn my nose up at Lee dies. My Dad bought a few sets and he bought me some too. I didn't use them until after he died last year. I was gearing up for a tactical match that had a long range stage. (shots from 77 out to 1040yds) For the heck of it, I tested my Redding neck sizer head to head against a Lee Collet die. My sniper rifle (.308) seemed to like the Collet die best. In fact, I hung the target on the wall of my reloading room! Five shots in one hole not much larger than the diameter of a .308 boolit. My old Dad was on to something I guess. Anyway, after that I started checking concentricity and and found that the collet dies were almost impossible to beat! My last set of dies I bought were 45-70 and I bought a set of Lee dies.
As a side note, I really dig their hand trimmers too! I think if Lee would just charge more for their products, people would take them more seriously.

roaddog1m
02-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I still have the 38 spl loading kit by Lee that I purchased in 1968. It is the one that you hammer everything in and set off primers to often for the wife. They do last but if you ever decide to get into serious rifle or pistol competition then the Lee dies will not do the job. Larry Gibson is dead on with his posting as is Doc Highwall. I shoot the 44-40 in SASS competition and use the RCBS Cowboy Dies. I tried the Lee FCD and was not happy with the results. I seat and crimp in separate stages with both rifle and handgun calibers. About two months ago I was reading about the Redding Profile Crimp Die and decided to try one. I have used Redding dies in the past and they are of high quality. This die is no different and gives the best looking crimp that I have seen on a 44-40 case. The sizing ring on the Lee carbide dies is very small and they are different in other area's as well. Lee Precision sells some good and some bad loading tools. They are priced to where the average man can get a start in reloading and casting at a reduced price. They are no different than other low priced tools. The quality and life is not always the best.

I agree totally! I've found some Lee stuff I didn't like at all. (Lee Loadall) But they make stuff that a working man can afford and some of their stuff really is good. I have Redding, Forster, RCBS and Lee stuff. I just pick and choose what works in each case.

59stude
02-23-2011, 07:04 AM
I´ll take the ´65 F100 or an ´65 D100 before an Lincoln Navigator. Easier to work with and around here they give more bragging rights.
I have had an Dillon RL550B now for 20+ years and an Lee´s simple little Reloader C-press and both have been working good. Same with my reloading dies and boolit moulds. have nearly all makes now and all have theirs faults, just like all tools. It all come down to what you can afford and what you trust to do the job properly and/or can make to do better.

59stude

azcruiser
02-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Just a little tip the name on the die isn't always the name of the maker.

MT Gianni
02-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Never had a chambering problem with either in the trusty ol' Krag. I would think that both would be made to the same SAAMI spec?

The issue would not be a failure to chamber but more along the lines of how much case expansion results, what that does to accuracy, life of brass and what the stated sizer is vs what size it sizes to. Just as a bullet should be disturbed as little as possible from the moment is enters the case the case should also be disturbed as little as possible for maximum accuracy.
Having said that most of my dies are split between manufacturers with green/gray and red boxes leading the pack.

luvtn
02-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Just a little tip the name on the die isn't always the name of the maker.
If you don't mind could you elaborate on that?
luvtn

Charley
02-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a couple of Redding die sets...ones that Lee doesn't offer, and RCBS wants waaaaay too much for.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-27-2011, 05:03 PM
So . . . what is the deal with these Redding neck bushings?

Can you order different size bushings that will not swage down your boolits? Or not work your brass so much?

I plan on getting two new calibers soon . . . gonna need new dies. I only have ever used RCBS.

azcruiser
02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Just saying the name on the die doesn't always mean that who made it . Like say the press that an
aluminium casting most reloading companies have
them case by a company that does aluminium casting , Nothing wrong with it I'm certain their made to that companies dimensions same thing with dies

Doc Highwall
02-27-2011, 11:26 PM
123.DieselBenz, the bushings come in both steel and titanium nitride coated and in .001" steps. Check out Midway to get an idea about them.

thehouseproduct
02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I have been increasingly willing to pay the extra $ for the customer service from the premium equipment makers. I have had great experiences from the Redding warranty team when I make bone head maneuvers with my dies.

Lead Fred
02-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Dies is dies, personal opinion. Powder droppers and scales, Redding by a mile