PDA

View Full Version : Pachmar Pistol box?

Shooter6br
02-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Found an old Pachmar "Super Delux": wood pistol box at garage sale. Dont know much about it. It looks like it holds 6 pistols. It is used but sound. Bit off topic but thanks

Jack Stanley
02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
I remember seeing those back when I was shooting compitition . It was just past the time when all the "serious" shooters had to have one :roll:One poor soul who wanted to shoot as good as the big boys bought one . Filled it with expensive pistols scope and ammo along with all the "right" equipment and then wondered why he couldn't shoot as well as the guy who brought his gun in an old gym bag .

They are such a neat box though and real handy if you don't use your shooting arm to carry it onto the range the day of the match :)

Jack

BruceB
02-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Yes, the Pachmayr boxes were the "hot set-up" for Bullseye pistoleros back in the day. They provided a solid base for the spotting scope as well as secure storage and transport for those expensive target-grade handguns. Of course, the boxes themselves were expensive...quality rarely comes cheaply. Most of the poverty-stricken shooters of my acquaintance had poor home-built imitations of the Pachmayrs, which worked (but not nearly as well).

Jack's reference to the guy with the gym bag brings back a saying from those days..."You can't BUY good scores!" (meaning that even with the very best equipment, one still had to hold-and-squeeze correctly to have good results...the price tags didn't do it for you.) That still applies today, naturally.

If ever a game was designed to teach trigger control, Bullseye is the one. My wife and I learned a great deal and enjoyed the sport for many years. It took us from the Arctic Ocean to Mexico, and from Atlantic to Pacific, and we met legions of fine people. My wife went on to become the Canadian Ladies' National Champion, which was quite a thrill and achievement.

This thread about the Pachmayr box gave me a wonderful flashback to those days, and I thank y'all for that. I'd offer to buy it, but it really deserves a home with a more-active handgun competitor.

Shooter6br
02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Have a pic It is kinda nostalgic

Shooter6br
02-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Pics of box May be a "keeper":drinks:

bobthenailer
02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I had one of ther boxes years ago! a 5 or 6 gun box with a back door ! they were a little expensive at the time but top quality !
I sold it back in the 1980s when i started to use red dot sights and the box opening for the pistol rack wasent high enough to accomdate red dot sighted guns so i bought a Gun Ho case from Gil Hebbard Guns .

wellfedirishman
02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
They are great cases. I picked up one on eBay about 3 years ago for $65 shipped. It was used but solid.

Those things are heavy. They should come with wheels and pull out handle like airport luggage!

Patrick L
02-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Jack's reference to the guy with the gym bag brings back a saying from those days..."You can't BUY good scores!" (meaning that even with the very best equipment, one still had to hold-and-squeeze correctly to have good results...the price tags didn't do it for you.) That still applies today, naturally.

Bruce, no disrespect intended but I think you missed the point. It wasn't that an unskilled shooter thought that by buying all of the "hot setup" he would automatically shoot better, it was that the guy who brought his gun in an old gym bag had some arm muscle strength remaining to actually hold and squeeze! I recently started using my old Gun Ho 5 gun box again after having it gather dust in my gun room for many years, and while it is a great setup, HOLY COW I don't remember it being that heavy 15 years ago when I actually shot competitively.

It couldn't be that I'm older, nah!

Jack Stanley
02-21-2011, 02:42 PM
NOW , I'm excited !! I managed to write in such a way that both Bruce AND Patrick got my meaning out of what was written

:bigsmyl2:Jack [smilie=p: OK... I'll admit it doesn't take much to make me happy .

Shooter6br
02-21-2011, 03:47 PM
OOPs had a senior moment did not post pics

stubshaft
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
IIRC - Mine had a mounting bracket on the lid for my spotting scope? It's been so many years now I can't remember if it was original or if I modified it.

fivegunner
02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
I have both the big box that holds 6 handgun`s ,and the one thats holds 3gun`s yes they are geting heavy to lug to the gunclub, they sure were built!! if I decide to get rid of them I`ll put them here first:bigsmyl2:

bobthenailer
02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
a frend after carring my large nylon range bag said this thing weighs a ton ! what do you have in it ? i sad a few pisitols and some nessary range accesories. well i went home and weighed my bag and it weighs 15 lbs with no guns or ammo inside.

fourarmed
03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks just like my 4-gun case. I can manage to get two guns with red dots in it if I do it just right. Like everybody else who "weighed in" on this, I wish it was a whole lot lighter.