View Full Version : .280 Handi-Rifle

Marlin Junky
02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Perhaps I'll get a response or two to the following if I link it here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107602

MJ

EOD3
02-20-2011, 10:29 PM
The 280 Remington is an inherently accurate cartridge on par with the 7mm/08. I don't know anyone that shoots cast from any 7MM rifle so I can't help you there. I would be completely happy woods-walking anywhere in the 48 with a 160 grain slug out of the 280. :bigsmyl2:

Papa Jack
02-21-2011, 03:37 AM
I have the .280 Rem. barrel and I shoot Jacketed bullets in it . I don't have a 7mm mold yet, I'm looking to get one just have to order it...
I also have a Handi in 7mm-08... I am VERY pleased with both barrels, the first loadings shot inside of 1 inch the first time out at a measured 100 yards off a bench.
I don't have my load data in front of me , but I do recall the loads were nothing special, and If I recall correctly, I think the .280 load was 145 grain Speer....
I hope to order a mold soon and start working on loads for Cast boolits...
I'm waiting for two guns to return from H&R now, One for a cartridge extraction problem on a .450 marlin Chambering, and the other for new .222 Rem. and .35 Rem barrels.
If your thinking about getting a .280 Rem, barrel for your Handi, I think you will be happy with it, I am very happy with both on my 7mm's...
Quite a following over at Grey Beards Outdoors Forum, lots of info there if you haven't found it yet..... Good Luck !! "PJ"

NickSS
02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
The only 7mm Rifle I ever shot cast in is a Ruger 77 in 7X57 Mauser. This particuar rifle is very accurate with both Jacketed and cast bullets. I do not remember the loads because I have not shot this rifle in years but I do remember that the mold I have is a lyman mold of around 150 gr and that I was getting groups of around 1 inch at 100 yards. I do have several handy rifles in various calibers as well as extra barrels for them. I have shot cast in several of them and have gotten good results with them. My 308 bull barrel is very accurate as is my 45-70 and 38-55 barrels so I beleive you should have a good chance of getting good results with a 280. I have liked that caliber but never owned one as I have always had something so similar as to make buying one moot.