View Full Version : Am I the only person still useing the Old stp like lube

gcollins
02-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Howdy All,
I was just wondering if there happens to be anyone else still useing the case lube that looks like STP??
To all of you reloading Gents what kind of lube are you useing?? I have seen several kinds, I am useing RCBS and I do have a tube of the White Lube in a tube that Lee puts out or did???

What about the spray lubes, looks to me that the spray would be the easiest????

I sure hope that if anyone that reads this, if you ever hear me talking about buying Military brass (again) PLEASE come and KICK THE S$$$ out of me!!!!!!!
I don't think I will ever get those 5.56 military cases ready to load!!!!
Later
G

Doc Highwall
02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I use the Dillon lube which is alcohol and lanolin. When you use it shake the spray bottle first and then spray the cases but make sure the alcohol evaporates first before sizing. I put the cases into a plastic Tupperware type container and spray them in it and shake them up and spray them again and when I am done I put the cover on the container too keep it clean until the next time. It washes off with water also.

beanflip
02-20-2011, 08:09 PM
I use a home made solution of lanolin and 99% alcohol

1hole
02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
"Am I the only person still useing the Old stp like lube "

I sure hope so, that stuff is a MESS! I haven't used it since Lee brought out the white "toothpaste" lube but I haven't even used that since I tried Imperial Die Wax about 15 years ago. IF I ever want to try anything else it will be Hornady's Unique, it's also a soft wax.

I don't care for sprays due to the overspill. Some folks like it, some seem to get a lot of stuck cases with it, probably from using it incorrectly. ??

Casting Timmy
02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I use Hornady's Unique lube and although you have to apply it to each case it's not that bad. If you go with the spray lubes becareful and make sure each case gets a little.

One guy I used to talk to always got his brass stuck in the sizing die from nto spraying it correctly. He would usually stick a couple pieces out of a hundred pieces of brass. I guess he got used to using the stuck case remover kit though.

Doc Highwall
02-20-2011, 09:49 PM
The cases will stick if you try to size too soon after spraying with the lube because the alcohol has not evaporated. The lanolin is what make it work great and is water soluble, the alcohol is a carrier that allows the lanolin to be sprayed and cover the cases BUT YOU HAVE TO LET THE ALCOHOL EVAPORATE FIRST LEAVING ONLY THE LANOLIN ON THE CASE.

MtGun44
02-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Dillon lanolin/alcohol for rifle being run through the RL550Bs, Imperial Die Wax for
stuff run through the single stage press, although I also use Lee's sizing lube, too.

Bill

btroj
02-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I use the Hornady unique lube most of all. It is easy to apply with a finger. I used the STP type stuff on a lube pad years ago. Hated it. Hard to wash off my hands sticky as all get put. It worked but it was just a pain.

DCM
02-20-2011, 11:31 PM
I use the Hornady unique lube most of all. It is easy to apply with a finger. I used the STP type stuff on a lube pad years ago. Hated it. Hard to wash off my hands sticky as all get put. It worked but it was just a pain.

Hornady Unique lube is mink oil. You can get a tub of mink oil for less and it is exactly the same. Gauran-teeeed. I used mink oil for a couple years.

If you use the spray make sure to get the whole case.

+1 on NO to the lube pads.

Bent Ramrod
02-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I have to confess that One-Shot spray lube totally corrupted me. I still have a couple pads and a lifetime supply of miscellaneous gooey lube from RCBS, Lee and Lyman, but I only use it when I run out of One-Shot.

The Imperial lube is in a class by itself and I use it only for case forming.

Hardcast416taylor
02-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Only use the Dillion pump spray lube for normal loading use, use the Redding/Imperial sizing wax for forming work.

Had a friend bring me a bag of cases covered with corn cob media. Seems he was teaching himself to reload and was using an "STP" type lube. He thought you just tumbled it off the cases in a tumbler of media. He is a firm believer now in Dillion lube as well as Hornady.Robert

oldhickory
02-21-2011, 08:08 AM
I've been using Imperial from my 2nd reloading session. The first was with the gooey stickey stuff.

largom
02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
I have been using STP for the past 45 years. Guess old habits are hard to break.

Larry

GP100man
02-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Me too !!

I use the RCBS II also !!

It`s water soluble, I clean ,then roll the cases on the pad , size a bunch & rinse em in hot water , let dry & carry on !

Kevin Rohrer
02-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Imperial Sizing Wax on the outside of cases and Imperial Dry Neck Lube on the inside.

deltaenterprizes
02-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I use 2 of them. for a few cases and bullet swaging I use STP, for hundreds of cases Dillon spray, until I find some 99% alcohol and make my own.
NAPA sold a spray penetrating grease that went on thin and when the carrier evaporated it left a thick grease. It worked great, price was right but I have not been able to find it lately.

gcollins
02-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Well, a lot of folks say if it is working for you stay with it:roll: And That is true to a point! I think the reason I have allways used the STP like lube is because I don't like stuck cases:( I think I am going to try the lanolin/alcohol lube when winter is over! I use the ground up walnut hulls in my case tumbler and never have ad a problem with it cleaning the cases.

I am great full to all for the info :drinks:
Later
G

Doc Highwall
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
gcollins, what is nice about the alcohol/lanolin lubes is you can wash them with dish detergent and water first then throw them into your tumbler to dry them. After you tumble them just leave the cover off till the tumble media drys and it stays cleaner longer because you washed the cases first dumping the crud down the drain.

jhrosier
02-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Howdy All,
I was just wondering if there happens to be anyone else still using the case lube that looks like STP??...

Yep! It still works for me. I haven't stuck a case in decades (knocks on wood).

Jack

1Shirt
02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Used STP for a long while, but then switched to Lanolin & Alcohol. Then someone on CastBoolits said that alcohol and olive oil worked as well. Tried it, and it works for me, so that is what I now use. Learning is a work in progress for me!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

roverboy
02-21-2011, 01:30 PM
I've used the RCBS lube for 25 years.

Moonie
02-21-2011, 04:53 PM
I have used liquid lanolin applied by hand and lanolin/alcohol and like it a lot. Recently I've been using cooking spray...olive oil type and it seems to work fairly well, and no drying required.

Will be using something more substantial for reforming cases for my 8x57

GLShooter
02-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Hornady One Shot and Imperial Wax for me. I have some stuff called STOS from Pacific IIRC that I use for fire forming 6 PPC brass but that is as close to RCBS lube as I ever want to get again.

Greg

Beekeeper
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
I bought a bottle of STP 50 years ago and am still using it.
It may be old fashioned but it still works and works well so don't see changing any time soon.

Jim

old turtle
02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
I just use some 30w motor oil in an RCBS pad. I have it for my lawn mower. As I have said before, I guess I am just cheap.

Beekeeper
02-22-2011, 10:58 PM
old turtle you made me go look.
I checked the original bottle of STP I use and the sticker said $.50 so you aren't the only cheapskate here.

Jim

Centaur 1
02-23-2011, 12:51 AM
I've been using Hornady Unique lube. Don't even have to wipe it on. I just run my index finger on it just like a bank teller does before counting a stack of bills. As I reach for a case I let my index finger touch my thumb to transfer some lube. Then I just grab the case and put it in the shell holder. The lube gets smeared around inside the die, just grab some cases by the neck and some by the body. If the expander plug gets a little sticky, use a q-tip with some lube on the inside of every few cases.

rockrat
02-23-2011, 12:57 AM
I also use the Hornady Unique lube for my single stage presses, but for my progressives I use a mix of RCBS case lube (water soluable) and alcohol(91%). About 1 oz in a 16 oz bottle of alcohol. Put it in a spray bottle, spray cases, let alcohol evaporate about 5 min(do this outside) works great. Put sized cases in a bucket of hot water with a little Dawn dishwashing liquid, agitate and rinse a couple of times. Let dry. Hate wiping lube off 400 cases, this is easy, this way.

Seems easier to get off than the alcohol/lanolin mix, which I used to use.

geargnasher
02-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Never used STP. Used RCBS case lube II for years because it came with my very first starter kit (RCBS Ammomaster, 505 scale, Uniflow, and all the other little goodies), but recently switched to Alberto VO5 Hair Dressing, comes in a tube like toothpaste, you can find it in the cosmetic aisle. I treated a fresh, dry, RCBS case lube pad with it and I'm sold. My reason for switching was the water-based RCBS lube tended to tarnish brass cases over time, even if cleaned with lighter fluid. The hair dressing keeps this from happening and dissolves easily with lighter fluid or Ed's Red.

The spray lubes take forever to dry and are difficult to get evenly coated without using too much, plus I like the case pad so I can give the case mouth a brief spin on one corner of the lube pad to get a slight but even coating of lube on the case neck, inside and out.

Gear

selmerfan
02-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Imperial for me.

Harter66
02-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I've always pad lubed. Rcbs II these days . Roll 5 size 6. I lube every 1 when making cases ,every other when I neck only.

Dean D.
02-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Stick inna mud here I guess. I still use RCBS lube and a pad. Granted, I rarely load more than what one loading block will hold in one session and use a single stage press. Not a huge issue to me to wipe the case clean with a rag after seating the boolit. I can see how this would be a pain in the butt if you were using a progressive press though.

Mk42gunner
02-24-2011, 02:20 PM
I have used the aerosol cans of lube; when they work, they work great; when they suddenly decide not to lube you get stuck cases. This has happened with both the Midway and Hornady version, even following directions.

When I was doing several thousand 5.56mm cases I got to using spray WD-40, then tumbling the brass to clean the oil off. It works, but isn't the most convenient thing in the world.

I don't like to use a lube pad, it seems to easy to get lube dents. I have been using STP, just wiping a thin coat on with my fingers, it doesn't take much.

Robert

FrankG
02-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Hornady One Shot has had me spoiled since it was introduced :razz:

Moonie
02-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Interesting side note, my wife called me Tuesday asking if we were out of cooking spray, should have said yes we are out. Instead said it was in the man cave as I was using it to size cases...

[smilie=b:

Didn't go over real well lol, however dinner was ready when I got home and didn't stick to the pan :)

Doby45
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Imperial Sizing lube, do it just like Centaur 1 says he does it. I deprimed and sized a 1000 pieces of 223 brass while watching TV one evening..

Lead Fred
02-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Been using RCBS lube for decades. Wondering how the STP clogs up the media after you clean them.

I have used STP in my cast lube for the first time. It is now part of my lube recipe.
I have never had better lubed boolits.
1lb bees wax, 1lb lard, 8oz STP.