PDA

View Full Version : Double Action Only!

gcollins
02-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Hi Guys,
Here the other day at the gun show I traded for a FN Model 49 in 9mm this pistol is D.A. only and I can't shoot it! I have done a lot of trigger jobs over the years but never did a D.A. . I took the slide off and did some looking and I do believe that if I can figure out how to weaken the main trigger spring I might be able to get it light enough to shoot??? How is the best way to take some of the strengh out of that spring without clipping a coil out of it.
This is something that I am not looking foward to, I await for replies.
I will be very great full for any and all advice.
Later
G

scb
02-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I'd see if Wolff springs has a "lighter" replacement available. I've never found cutting or other wise trying to weaken a spring to work very satisfactorily.

http://www.gunsprings.com/

Ernest
02-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Ditto on that. I have sure ruined a bunch of springs over the years. A replacement spring is a good idea.

Char-Gar
02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I will be honest with you. I would not own one of these DA only auto-loaders with hammers and I am not familiar with the model you are looking at. The DA only autos are designed to be as safe as possible in the hands of an idiot. Unless you are an idiot, you don't need one.

The Glock or other striker fired auto have manageable triggers as there is no need to raise a hammer with your trigger finger. So, if an autopistol does not have the SA option I would pass on it. Unless it is a striker fired weapon such as the glock.

Most of my autoloaders are SA (1911 and Browning HP). I do have one DA/SA (Smith 59). On the DA/SA auto only the first round is fired DA and only then if things are happening way to fast and close to have time to cock the hammer.

You have choices.