PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing screwdrivers

pearson1662
02-20-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm in the market for some gunsmithing screwdrivers and wanted the opinions of people I respect, so I went to Amazon (just kidding) so I'm asking y'all whatcha like and why. I'd like to (nope, will) keep my purchase to less than $75. Your opinions and recommendations, please.

Thanks,

Jay

deltaenterprizes
02-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Chapman, buy good ones first so you do not need to buy them again!

ANeat
02-20-2011, 05:34 PM
I would get one of Brownells Magna Tip sets. You can add/replace bits as needed in the future and they have a great selection of standard and speciality bits

dragonrider
02-20-2011, 07:09 PM
+1 On Brownells Magna tips.

robroy
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
I've got a Wheeler Eng. set that has worked fine. I ground a couple of bits to fit special jobs and had a hell of a time replacing them. If I were doing it over I'd buy the Browells set.

deltaenterprizes
02-22-2011, 11:29 AM
The bits in the Wheeler set I got are soft and twist.

gnoahhh
02-22-2011, 12:13 PM
I scout the yard sales and flea markets for antique screw drivers that are nice and hard. I find that sellers don't mind my trying the hardness with a small warding file once they see I have a pile set aside to buy. When I get them home I throw them in a box and restore them cosmetically if needed, but more importantly I hollow grind them accordingly whenever I encounter a screw head for which I don't have a dedicated driver. Once that is done to a "found" screwdriver it gets to live in the rack with the other "lost toys" who've been given a new lease on life. It makes for an odd mix of styles but I figure there's good juju in using old tools, and somewhat cheaper too (not to mention the fun had looking for them- and usually finding other treasures along the way too).

I tried custom grinding new hardware store screw drivers but found them to be universally too soft. By the time I would order up quality drivers and re-work them for gun screws I could have just bought a professional set from Brownells and been done with it.

bubba.50
02-22-2011, 01:16 PM
don't know it for a fact but i've heard that the smaller wheeler sets have cheaper bits. for what it's worth, bubba.

Char-Gar
02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
I have had a set of Grace drivers since 1964 and they are still in service. I also have a set of Brownell drivers and they work well also with a great choice in tips. I still reach for the Grace first, and then to the Brownells.

Charlie Sometimes
02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I use the complete large set by Wheeler Engineering.
I've only had two bits fail- and when I called them about it, they replaced them no charge. :grin:

There are multiples of some of the more commonly used bits included inthat set, so you have back ups, JIC.

L1A1Rocker
02-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I would get one of Brownells Magna Tip sets. You can add/replace bits as needed in the future and they have a great selection of standard and speciality bits

+1. Also, be sure to get the "stubby" handle, I use that one the most.

btroj
02-22-2011, 10:35 PM
I like the Chapman for in my range box. I have the Wheelr for bench use. No damaged tips yet. Then again I am not a person who uses them a whole lot. They serve MY needs.

Brad

boommer
02-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Chapman for the range and Forster for the shop and misc. custom bucthed bits.

pearson1662
02-24-2011, 03:24 PM
+1. Also, be sure to get the "stubby" handle, I use that one the most.

OK, I'm persuaded that the MagnaTips are a good value and intend to order them. L1A1, why do you use the "stubby" handle most?

I knew I came to the right place....

Mk42gunner
02-24-2011, 09:16 PM
I have sets by Brownells, Chapman and Forster/Bonanza.

I like the one piece Forsters the best, but you are limited on sizes.

The Chapmans I have had for probably 25 years, no complaints with them.

Brownells sells a wide variety of Magnatip screwdrivers. Get the manetic handle. They work well, plus you can use any 1/4" bit in them. I like the midsized handle, I think it is the "Law Enforcement" version, it is a little smaller then normal, but you don't need to put a lot of torque on most gun screws anyway. I also use the big handle to turn the feed screw on my RCBS Lub-a-matic.

Buy a quality set and the biggest problem will be keeping them together; consider a locking tool box.

Robert

JIMinPHX
02-27-2011, 09:29 PM
I buy the bits at gunshows for about $2 each. I only use 2 sizes. One is a #93 I think. I don't remember what the other one is.

SkookumJeff
02-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Having a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers made for working on guns is one of the smartest things a person can do in my humble opinion. I will NOT use standard screwdrivers on my guns anymore. It's just too easy to damage the screws. I buy a lot of used guns and one of my personal rules is that I rarely buy used guns that have messed up screws.

I have the Wheeler Engineering 72 pc set and use the heck out of them. I broke the smallest Torx bit and had to order replacement bit from Midway, which was no problem at all. Someone else mentioned these bits are soft? I have had the opposite experience, I've found these screwdriver bits to be very hard. In my experience they don't twist, they break instead. That said, I've only broken the smallest torx bit (twice!). This set comes with two drivers (handles), a short one and a longer one. I prefer the shortest driver and use it the most.

IIRC I bought this set at a pretty good discount from Midway (Wheeler Engineering is a Midway brand). These bits are OK and I recommend them if you can get a good price on them. I don't believe this set is worthy of the full price that Midway charges.

imashooter2
02-27-2011, 09:59 PM
OK, I'm persuaded that the MagnaTips are a good value and intend to order them. L1A1, why do you use the "stubby" handle most?

I knew I came to the right place....

Shorter tools are easier to control.

MtGun44
02-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Pachmyr set works great.

Bill

Bret4207
02-28-2011, 08:29 AM
I have screw drivers from everyone- Ace Hardware to Brownells to Forster to the Zhing Chang Walmart specials. IMO get a good set of mag-tips from Brownells and then buy whatever else you find on sale for the rest of your life. You'll never have too many.

If you go up in my Shop Tips sticky I have some more info.

Kraschenbirn
02-28-2011, 04:51 PM
+1 on what SkookumJeff said about the Wheelers. I've also got the 72-piece set and the one's I have are so brittle they almost shatter when heavily stressed. I've also got the remnants of a Brownell set I purchased over 30 years ago. In that time I've reground several for special jobs and lost a few but have NEVER broken one. One of these days, I'm going to have a go at figuring out which bits I need and order replacements from Brownell's.

Bill

SPRINGFIELDM141972
03-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I scout the yard sales and flea markets for antique screw drivers that are nice and hard. I find that sellers don't mind my trying the hardness with a small warding file once they see I have a pile set aside to buy. When I get them home I throw them in a box and restore them cosmetically if needed, but more importantly I hollow grind them accordingly whenever I encounter a screw head for which I don't have a dedicated driver. Once that is done to a "found" screwdriver it gets to live in the rack with the other "lost toys" who've been given a new lease on life. It makes for an odd mix of styles but I figure there's good juju in using old tools, and somewhat cheaper too (not to mention the fun had looking for them- and usually finding other treasures along the way too).

I tried custom grinding new hardware store screw drivers but found them to be universally too soft. By the time I would order up quality drivers and re-work them for gun screws I could have just bought a professional set from Brownells and been done with it.

+1

When I find Irwin cabinet screwdrivers with the metal through the shank, you would think I found a gold nugget. The heat treat beautifully.

Regards,
Everett