View Full Version : Beamscale cover

Beekeeper
02-20-2011, 11:33 AM
First a little history.
I have a beam scale that has followed me around for the last 40 years.
In pieces a few times.
All of my reloading gear is portable due to all the years in the Military.
Has been in ammo cans or on wheels since the beginning.
Now to the scale.
I would like to cover it somehow as the construction dust and normal Santa-Anna dust has a tendency to cover it when left out .
Was thinking of a tupperware type cover but haven't found one to fit.
Would like your ideas on covers.

Also is there anyone here that restores beam scales?
Looking for info on care and feeding of an old one to bring it back to prime.

Jim

LIMPINGJ
02-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I just cut open a bag that the cleaners sends your clothes home in. Just tuck around the sacle. I have a big Ohaus and this is light and wads into a ball on the shelf when the sacale is in ues.

Reg
02-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Go to wally world and go to the house wares section. Look for one of the plastic, tupper ware type rectangular storage containers that the larger bottom section , when upside down, will fully cover the scale. Drill a small hole in the bottom middle and use a small knob type drawer pull for a handle. Have used one like this for many years and it really works well.
Have found it best not to use the flat bottom, or lid as its best for the scale to sit on a good solid bench top , also some of the lids will fit tight to the bottoms and will dump the scale when you take its lid ( bottom ) off.

:drinks:

winelover
02-20-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm FRUGAL. Been using a cardboard shoe box on my bench, for the last 30 years, as a dust cover. Room for a RCBS 5 - 10 and a Lyman 505 plus a Lyman scale weight check set. Works for me.

Winelover

Walter Laich
02-20-2011, 03:40 PM
I got a cheap plastic tool box from HD and used it. It is portable and does a great job of keeping the dust and dirt out as well as quickly being able to get the scale out and working

*Paladin*
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Wife made me a rectangular cover out of a piece of heavy cloth (it's even GREEN) for my 5-0-5. Works perfectly...

Mumblypeg
02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
I took some 1/4 inch oak plywood and made a nice box cover for mine. When it's out of the cover, which is most of the time, it sits on top of the box and that brings it up to eye level at the bench.

montana_charlie
02-21-2011, 10:42 PM
When I was in the military and single, all of my reloading gear fit in a wooden box made to hold a silverware set. But I knew that when I got to a point where I could have a permanent setup, I would want my scale covered to prevent dust buildup.

So, when that day came, I sold off my Lyman 505 scale and bought the Ohaus 10-10...now sold by RCBS. The dust cover is integral to the unit.

The beam and other parts are disassembled and stored under cover ALL of the time...unless I am actually weighing powder.

CM

bumpo628
02-22-2011, 01:44 AM
I found a bona-fide scale cover on Midwayusa for those of you who are interested:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=557920
It's $11 and made for the 502 or 505, so it should fit most reloading scales.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/557/557920.jpg

Skipper488
02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
I get my wife to sew covers for my stuff out of Denim or Canvas.

Beekeeper
02-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Took my wife to the japanese $1.00 store today.
They had the perfect plastic box to make a cover out of.
They are building a pool across the street from me and it already has cement dust on it.

Jim

bumpo628
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Took my wife to the japanese $1.00 store today.
They had the perfect plastic box to make a cover out of.
They are building a pool across the street from me and it already has cement dust on it.
Jim

I like the idea of a clear plastic box to go over the top, kinda like the old butter trays.
A soft case will bang the beam around when you remove it because it will inexplicably become attached in between uses.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Frugal is usung the original Lyman cardboard box for 45 years. Did tape the lid where it hinged three years ago, however. BvT

buck1
02-23-2011, 07:05 PM
I simply drape a clean gun rag over mine.