PDA

View Full Version : RCBS .430 200gr FN Cowboy owners?

inthebeech
02-20-2011, 10:10 AM
I am curious if there are any owners of this "cowboy" mold. If so, could you mic the nose section just ahead of the forward driving band for me? And while you're at it, how does it shoot? One more thing... Do you want to sell it? It is too new to hope to find one at any gun shows, like the great looking 38 cal WC that "STP" sold me a couple weeks ago at the Watkins Glen show. Thanks bud.
Ed

bones37
02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
I own the RCBS 200 grain 44 cal. "cowboy" mold, I bought it around two years ago and have had good luck with it so far. I cast with wheel weights and/or range scrap. The nose section of my boolits measure 420" just forward of the driving band, and taper down. I size mine at 429" for a S&W 629 with a 4" tube and load them in Special cases behind many different powders such as Bullseye, Unique, Blue Dot, and 2400 with absolutely no problems, leading or otherwise.

For me, the boolit shoots extremely well for my intended purposes, however I do not need/want heavyweight bullets in a .44 and I tend to stick with 240 grain boolits or less. . . . . I am still searching for a marlin 44 levergun to try this and the Lee 200 RNF boolits in. I suspect these would perform wonderfully in the 1-38" twist of the Marlin, in which I would basically mimic the velocity and ballistics of the 44-40 WCF.

Michael.