PDA

View Full Version : building a bench

Missoulaz28
02-20-2011, 07:14 AM
I am getting ready to build my reloading bench and have a question.

What is the preferred height for a bench to be at to reload sitting down?

I have a design set for the construction and can't make up my mind on the height.

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks

Barry

Taylor
02-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Pretend you are building a bar.Could you be having a couple of beers in comfort? Some where around 42" or so is good for me.I have a nice wooden bar stool that swivels,sometimes I sit,sometimes I stand.Just depends on what I want at the time.Point is,be comfortable.

eka
02-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Thirty six inches is the counter height in most kitchens. That is the height of my bench and it works well. If you wanted, you could also use pre-made cabinets that are fairly reasonable at the large hardware stores for storage and support. You could also incorporate slide out panels, which are really nice too. They save space, keep your bench from being so cluttered with equipment.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-20-2011, 07:54 AM
my main bench is 38" x 36" x 11
outher two are 38" x 28 x 8
go as long as you can i like room
a pice of hard board on top
when my kids get up i will see if they can post a pic :-P

2muchstuf
02-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Mine is 39" with a 30" wooden bar stool.
Quite comfy for sittin or standin.

You must match your setup to your own size though.
What works for me might not work for you.

1hole
02-20-2011, 09:48 AM
"Thirty six inches is the counter height in most kitchens."

And that's a nice average standing work height....for the average woman. It matters not what height others may have, make your's to fit YOU!

Put the top an inch or so below your standing elbow height for working standing and use a "bar stool" that puts you at about the same height when sitting.

flashhole
02-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I had a standard height bench for years before I built the one I have now. My new one is 42" tall because I always stand when at the loading bench. No more sore neck from hanging my head down. I also like the island design. FWIW - I'm 5'9" tall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg

Skipper488
02-20-2011, 12:36 PM
"The ABC's of Reloading" contain detailed instructions on building a very nice reloading bench.

Missoulaz28
02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
I already have a top, 101"x36"x1.75" chunk of old bowling lane material that takes two guys to be able to move. It should work.

So far the consensus seems t be to build it to standing height and use a stool if I want to sit. Is that what most people do?

Von Gruff
02-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Mine is 36" high for a comfortable standing height. I keep meaning to get a stool but unless it had wheels I think I would find it a bit restrictive. For many reasons I need to move further than an arms length from where I am stationed and sitting would be an inconvienence at times.

Von Gruff.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-20-2011, 08:18 PM
For years, I used a bench of typical work bench height.

However, In our new digs which we moved into 5 years or so ago, I built in a long work bench/table in a common area and it is typical table height.

Works just as well and I can use the kitchen chairs.

Just make it solid and if possible screwed/bolted to the floor or wall just in case you happen to do some heavy sizing/forming.

Also, and the best info I can provide is, mount an under bench Receiver system UNDER THE BENCH, which will allow for mounting all your tools without any cuts, holes in your bench/table top.

This system works great and if you are a long term loader, caster, etc. will keep you from making new holes in the bench top as you need additional equipment or update old.

Can't say enough about the great way this receiver system works.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

MikeACP
02-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I've been using an old desk with plywood attached to the top. I need to build something taller so I can sit high enough to see in bottleneck cases. Something I didn't think of when I started.

oldscool
02-21-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm getting old and lazy, so I sit in a comfortable wheeled office chair. I have a full basement for my toyz and junk, but space is still a premium. The "bench" I use most now has a 36x22" top and is 29.5 tall on casters. I think it was some kind of tv entertainment stand, and I got it from the recycle shed at our local dump. Mine is pinched, and a cluttered mess, but it is an organized cluttered mess :p The heaviest forming I do is resizing 223 to fireball length, and it is plenty solid for that. I do my messy and heavy chores on a bench on the back porch.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/556/bench8.jpg
I have it behind my puter desk, and can swivel between them and it works quite well for me. The computer desk is also 29.5" tall. http://www.hunt101.com/data/556/bench24.jpg

In the past, I have built several variations off the NMRA reloading bench plans for myself and family and they have alway performed well. My next one will be a bit shorter in length, easy chair height, and on lockable casters for mobility.
Good luck on whatever you go with.

geargnasher
02-21-2011, 01:45 AM
I had a standard height bench for years before I built the one I have now. My new one is 42" tall because I always stand when at the loading bench. No more sore neck from hanging my head down. I also like the island design. FWIW - I'm 5'9" tall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg

I really like what you've done there, expecially the island design!

My main bench is also 42" tall because I like to stand or sit on a stool, and it has been perfect until recently. I find that I'm avoiding long sessions any more because my back and knees are pretty tired by the time I get home from work, so SITTING is looking like the new way for me to go. It only gets worse from here, so I'd better get used to a chair!

Gear

frankenfab
02-21-2011, 01:47 AM
I like 2X lumber (I used 2X10) with 3/4" plywood on top for a bench top. I screwed the plywood to the 2X's from underneath. It would be even better if glued as well. Very sturdy, even with considerable overhang.

Suo Gan
02-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Thirty six inches is the counter height in most kitchens. That is the height of my bench and it works well. If you wanted, you could also use pre-made cabinets that are fairly reasonable at the large hardware stores for storage and support. You could also incorporate slide out panels, which are really nice too. They save space, keep your bench from being so cluttered with equipment.

I am going to do that sometime.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
The slide out panels posted here, look very well done!!.

This post is in no way a slam to the craftsman ship of those showing their fine work on these posts.

I also do wood work, and would desire my efforts to rise to an equally fine level.

However, no matter how well done, these efforts will never match the under bench receiver system for the following reasons.

#1. Wood, as great a material as it is, will never match steel in areas such as strength/integrity and because of that factor, the ability to make small or smaller parts which are still very strong.

#2. The steel will not weaken, crack, chip etc. in the same way and with the same speed as wood, thereby maintaining it's integrity for much longer.

#3. No holes, cracks, grooves, seams etc. in the bench top. The bench top remains smooth and unbroken.

#4. With the underbench receiver system, the number of available receiver tubes is limited only by the room available, the desires of the person/persons designing the system. They can be few or many, separated by feet or inches, allowing for none, one or many loading tools to be in a useable bench position at any given time, AND all while maintaining a smooth and unbroken bench surface.

Were the high degree of wood craftsman ship shown in some of these post, be combined with the underbench receiver system, you would arrive at what will be close to the ultimate reloading area.

I realise this is an Ol'Coot's opinion, but I have been there done that for years with bench top mounted loading tools and this under bench receiver system is by far, without question, the best I have ever seen or used!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Ickisrulz
02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
The slide out panels posted here, look very well done!!.

This post is in no way a slam to the craftsman ship of those showing their fine work on these posts.

I also do wood work, and would desire my efforts to rise to an equally fine level.

However, no matter how well done, these efforts will never match the under bench receiver system for the following reasons.

#1. Wood, as great a material as it is, will never match steel in areas such as strength/integrity and because of that factor, the ability to make small or smaller parts which are still very strong.

#2. The steel will not weaken, crack, chip etc. in the same way and with the same speed as wood, thereby maintaining it's integrity for much longer.

#3. No holes, cracks, grooves, seams etc. in the bench top. The bench top remains smooth and unbroken.

#4. With the underbench receiver system, the number of available receiver tubes is limited only by the room available, the desires of the person/persons designing the system. They can be few or many, separated by feet or inches, allowing for none, one or many loading tools to be in a useable bench position at any given time, AND all while maintaining a smooth and unbroken bench surface.

Were the high degree of wood craftsman ship shown in some of these post, be combined with the underbench receiver system, you would arrive at what will be close to the ultimate reloading area.

I realise this is an Ol'Coot's opinion, but I have been there done that for years with bench top mounted loading tools and this under bench receiver system is by far, without question, the best I have ever seen or used!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Do you have any pictures of your set-up with the receiver?

Missoulaz28
02-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I've got a ROCKDock coming so I'll be good on the mounting. I'm thinking I'll go with 30" for the height. If I want to change it to a standing or different height it's just a couple 4x4's to replace.

Mustangpalmer1911
02-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Building a new bench right now needed more room for smithing/cleaning, casting, and reloading the original bench is a little small for my wants.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/mustangpalmer91/IMG_0116.jpg

And the new bench I am going to top in in sheet metal and put up peg board. The 650 will stay on the smaller bench and the rock chucker is gona get moved over.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/mustangpalmer91/005-5.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/mustangpalmer91/003-3.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/mustangpalmer91/004-6.jpg

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
To Ickisrulz I will send you a "PM" about images of the Reciever system.

Anyone else interested, send me a PM with your snail mail address and I'll send you a CD and some printed info.

Sorry, I seem to be challenged in getting images posted to the forum, but have sent out a number of CDs and letters to interested parties.

Need a 4 year old to help me get the image post thing taken care of and it just doesn't seem to work.

As I said earler, the underbench Receiver system is the best loading tool mounting system I have ever seen or used.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot