PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Finds!

school of mines
02-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Had the opportunity to make it to the gun show in Fremont, NE today. I worked night shift all week and finished up this morning. I slept until noon and my wife drove me to the gun show. She's great and understands my passion for gun shows! It was a good show with lots of tables. There weren't that many molds available and those they had I couldn't use. But I did manage to find a few things! The biggest item was an 1917 Enfield with a Winchester action that had been sporterized with a new front and rear sight. The action was in great condition and the barrel looks like it will make a great cast boolit shooter. I have the barrel soaking right now! I also found the Handbook of Cast Bullets by Lyman with the Sharps rifle on the cover. It has been difficult to find one in good condition, but this one is in decent shape. A couple of other goodies found their way into my bag as well! Anyway, it was a fun afternoon and I wanted to share the experience!

Have a great weekend!

:cbpour:

Chris Smith
02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
That looks like the twin of one I had. It was a Remington and I forgot the barrel date but it had a really nice Lyman target sight installed and shot much better than I could. I hunted with it some and didnt feel bad about laying it on the ground as it was already scratched a bit.

oldhickory
02-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Looks like a real nice rifle. I never had a 1917 that wouldn't shoot great! Good luck with it.

Char-Gar
02-21-2011, 12:51 PM
That is a great old rifle and will give you a lifetime of service and pleasure.

9.3X62AL
02-21-2011, 02:59 PM
GREAT rifle find. Ya did well!

Gun shows in California are a lot like the condors--barely hanging on, with a lot of artificial husbandry, and the shadow of extinction looms in plain view. Mostly just T-shirt vendors and churros hawkers.

At least once a year I go over the wall and attend the Big Reno Gun Show (BRGS), which I enjoy immensely. Going home on U.S. 395 (instead of I-80) is a lower profile re-entry point, the border guards assigned there are lazier and/or less vigilant. The I-80 route is like Checkpoint Charlie once was in Berlin.

California, North Korea, and Cuba--the last vestigial remains of Marxism/Leninism abide within. I'll lower the Stars and Stripes when I depart.

Three44s
02-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Awesome! I bought a bubbaed M1917 a couple of years ago. It was done almost as tastefully as yours and wears a Redfield Peep sight and original front.

I sure like those '17's!

Three 44s

MtGun44
02-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Al,

Sounds pretty depressing in my birth state. I have had a couple of opportunities to
take interesting jobs in CA over the years, but did not even consider moving due to
the gun laws first, but followed by the whole political environment.
Lots of interesting and beautiful places in CA, and I still have a few old friends there,
but not a chance that I would live there again.

KS and MO gun shows are a lot of fun and sometimes you get real serious bargains.

Bill

school of mines
03-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Finally took my "sporterized" 1917 to the range today! I shot some match bullets through it to see how it functioned and grouped. The rifle shot great so now I'm off to develop a boolit load for it!