PDA

View Full Version : My NAA Cap and Ball Revolver

coopieclan
02-19-2011, 11:11 PM
I just got my My NAA Cap and Ball Companion Revolver in the mail.
Wow it is a small gun.
It is a .22 Muzzle Loading Derringer type gun.
The Black powder charge is huge for the size of the boolit.
Supposed to be equal to a .22 magnum in force.
I bought it to add variety to my .44 Pietta 1858 Remington shooting fun.
The gun takes FFFFG powder, once I get some I'll go shooting and post a target.
I have read on the forum that it is tons of fun to shoot the tiny gun.

Swede44mag
02-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Sweet looking pistol I hope you have a lot of fun shooting it.
Welcome Black powder addiction.
How much did it cost?

NickSS
02-20-2011, 06:21 AM
I got one of them a bunch of years ago and still have it. The pistol with black powder is about the power of a 22 long and shoots well enough at 10 to 15 feet. I have no trouble making holes in tin cans at those ranges. I have fired a lot of rounds through mine over the years and have even carried it for CCW as it disappears in my pocket with ease. I only load 4 chambers when carrying it for CCW backup and rest the hammer on an empty chamber for safety reasons. I have found it very reliable and have not had a single failure to fire with it.

coopieclan
02-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Sweet looking pistol I hope you have a lot of fun shooting it.
Welcome Black powder addiction.
How much did it cost?
About $275 plus shipping on GunBroker.com
You can get them from NAA directly...I went with the auction for a no sales tax and easy shipping deal.

I shoot balls from my other .44 Pietta 1858 revolver... I was going to try .22 balls in this thing too.

Coopieclan

Ilwil
02-21-2011, 01:53 AM
I had one and they are lots of fun, and very well made. Those low powered balls can get you though. I had one bounce off a block of wood and come straight back at me, square in the chest. I could see it coming. No injury, but ricochets and the like are going to happen with this little guy.

coopieclan
02-21-2011, 10:35 PM
I think it is a smoothbore, Is the use of FFFFG mandatory? What would happen if I used FFF?... Also I did not get the magnum just the companion.

NickSS
02-22-2011, 04:47 AM
I have the magnum and use the 22 short bullets that they sell for it. I bought about a 1000 of them and still have a bunch. It holds about 4 gr of FFFFG powder with that bullet. I think the smaller one only holds about 3 gr. It will shoot with 3FG as I tried it and they went bang and the bullets will penetrate a half inch piece of plywood. The faster powder gives you more velocity as these little pistols do not take much powder the more velocity the better. They are fun. I keep meaning to buy some round balls they sell for 22 air rifles and give them a try but I have not done so yet. I have loaded pulled 22 LR slugs from dead ammo and they work but there is a ledge inside the chamber that the bullet seats against so they will not go all the way in so I trim then off with a knife after loading. It;s a good use for those bullets.

Rio Grande
02-22-2011, 05:03 AM
March American Rifleman (a good issue for a change) on page 30 has a product review of LaserLyte's VERY small laser sight made for the small NAA revolvers.
Doesn't mention the cap and ball ones but it probably fits those too.
Interesting.