PDA

View Full Version : NooB Questions

plinker
02-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Hey guys, I have lurked here a few times, and posted a few times and really like the info on this site, its really great! I have a few all related questions to ask. First off, I am an IPSC shooter and that translates into high volume shooting. I shoot 9mm, .45 ACP, .38 Special and soon likely .40 S&W. With the costs of plated and FMJ constantly rising, I have no choice but return to casting again, and I need some help. For my IPSC Production gun, I shoot a CZ Shadow in 9mm. A very accurate, and reliable pistol, I love it to death. The bullet I intend to cast for it is the 120gr TC out of a LEE Mold. The CZ has a "short throat" and the TC bullet where it can be loaded to a short OAL fits the bill. For my FMJ ammo, I use Titegroup and it works excellent, but have been warned that it is very smoky with cast bullets, and it is a very hot burning powder. For this bullet, I likely will need to get it moving to 1050fps, so would I be better off with a slower powder, and are there any that aren't as smoky as Titegroup? I heard that AA#5 is good, and some use Unique. I am just reaching out here for suggestions. If anyone on this board has experience with CZ's and cast bullets, I would really like to hear it. I also will be shooting my Springfield Armory NM .45 ACP in Standard/Single stack matches and am searching for accurate, soft shooting loads and maybe powder combinations that might not be too smoky. I will be using LEE and Lyman 200gr SWC molds, and may consider picking up a 185 gr and 230gr RN. Anyone that cares to offer inputs or advice, it is very welcome. I also need advice on sizing, lubes, etc... Anyone try moly coating like the "Black Bullets" I have red about? Again, any and all input would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!

RobS
02-19-2011, 06:50 PM
WSF is a great, clean powder for the 9mm and will double up in the 45 auto if you wanted. As to the 45 auto mold choices then the Lee TC 230 traditional groove design is a decent mold, except it has a bit of a bevel on the base of the bullet that can be a PIA if you lube with a RCBS, Lyman, or Saeco lubricator, no problems with the Star though. The Lee 452-228-1R is also a decent boolit and is a true flat base. I've had good luck with it in a few 1911's but my XD doesn't shoot it as well as I would have liked. I now shoot a 230 grian HP mold for my 45 auto purposes. The 452-228-1R is collecting dust and I should one of these days put it up for sale, but just haven't.

I size .001 to .002 over groove diameter on the auto pistols and fill the cylinder throats on my revolvers. The lube you use does make a difference on the smoke and is something else to put into your equation. White label lube BAC is a good one for low smoke if you don't want to make your own.

captaint
02-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Plinker - Let me just address the 45ACP issues, since most of my experience is there. I have stayed mainly with the 200 gr SWC's. I've cast the Lyman 452460, the RCBS 200 SWC, the H&G 68 and clones and the H&G 130 185gr SWC and clones. I have used a lot of Titegroup (yes it does smoke some) and a lot of WW231. Normally I use 50/50 lube and my usual boolit BHN is around 10.
I have found most any combination in my 1911's is plenty accurate and reliable. Haven't tried the "black coating" lubes. I do have some 230gr molds, but haven't used them much yet. So far, it's been like "what for"??? As long as your Springfield is reliable with the 200gr SWC's, I would concentrate on them. As far as powder, I have loaded between 3.8 and 4.2 of Titegroup and I forget how much WW231, but the velocity was in the same range. So, whatever that translates to, go with that. enjoy Mike

lwknight
02-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I like WSF in 38 special loads with 158 grain boolits. Its not real smokey.
WSF would not work in my 38 spl with 120 grain boolits. Velocities were extremely radical and upping the loads by a lot did not make any difference.

5 grains and a 158 grain boolit gets you about 800-850 fps and its very stable.

plinker
02-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Mostly with cast I have used 231, especially in the .45. For the most part, any of the bullets I have used with hard lube in the .45 didn't smoke much with 231, but I had heard that WSF is a good alternative. I don't have a lubesizer, but should invest in one, as I am not a big fan of Alox at least with the powders I have used I find it smokes alot. Although I haven't tried Johnson's paste wax, as I have heard of a few guys using it to tumble with. If I am unable to pick up a lubesizer in the near future, are there any combinations you guys would recommend using tumble lubed bullets? Thanks again for the replies, I really appreciate it ;-)

RobS
02-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Recluses TL mix is a good one:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

You can also pan lube, if you are into that, with any of the soft to medium soft lubes such as the BAC I mentioned or even their (White Label Lubes) 2500.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

L1A1Rocker
02-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I've run 200 grain SWC with W231 in my IPSC .45s for many, many years.

plinker
03-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Anyone have experience with the Lyman 147gr mold in 9mm?

fredj338
03-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I am not a TG for anything really. Why would anyone want a powder that doesn't fill at least half the case & has such a narrow load range & burns hotter than just about any other? For the 9mm, WSF is tough to beat. It probably won't like being run @ gamer vel but is a great choice in 9mm & 40 above midrange. For the 45acp, any bullet type or wt, WST is about perfect, taret to full power. High voumn/wt, clean burning, very accurate & low recoil for the same vel using other powders.

plinker
04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I use Titegroup presently for my 9mm loads using fmj. I am aware of the higher burning temps,and have read alot stating it is a instant smokescreen when coupled with cast bullets. I am going to be looking at getting some WSF as I heard good reports of it with cast bullets. I am looking at ordering the Lyman 147gr 9mm mold this week, anyone have any experience with it?